PDA

View Full Version : Mozaik and Patrick Street dates

chinatogalway
Mar-09-2005, 8:07pm
Mozaik and Patrick street will be playing in April check it out here 'gig dates' (http://www.chinatogalway.com/News.htm)

does anyone know if John Carty will be joining Patrick Street for the gigs???

K

Bob DeVellis
Mar-10-2005, 9:57am
Unfortunately, not in a neighborhood near me.

Paul Hostetter
Mar-29-2005, 10:50pm
And thanks to the incredible obstacles the current regime in Washington has erected to keep "foreigners" out of the country, they're not likely to be in a neighborhood near anyone in the US for some time to come. Mozaik had a tour here started and gave up on it when they realized how difficult it was to get most of the band members over the border.

Paul Kotapish
Mar-30-2005, 4:46pm
And thanks to the incredible obstacles the current regime in Washington has erected to keep "foreigners" out of the country, they're not likely to be in a neighborhood near anyone in the US for some time to come. Mozaik had a tour here started and gave up on it when they realized how difficult it was to get most of the band members over the border.

I'm sure the customs folks get real nervous thinking about a gang of middle-aged folk musicians brandishing a threatening array of bouzoukis, blarges, and the dreaded gadulka.

This is so infuriating. As Paul H. knows as well as anyone, this has been an escalating problem for years. Paul has been instrumental (punners be silent) in bringing many great musicians from other lands over to the U.S. to share their music at festivals, concerts, and workshops. On far too many occasions, the artists have been turned away on some trumped-up technicality, even when all the required visas and paperwork were in place.

There's no denying the real fears here (and everywhere) generated by terrorism, but venerated village musicians from Mexico, Madagascar, or Bulgaria who come to share nothing more sinister than music, friendship, and understanding are not the problem.

PK

steve V. johnson
Mar-30-2005, 5:44pm
Well said, Paul! My solution has been to go there, but with the dollar so weak against the Euro, I can't afford to do that this year. And, of course, spending US$ overseas doesn't help the condition of the weak buck. ... tho that certainly ain't the only cause...

And it's a good idea never to say the word "bouzouki" in an airport.

stv

POB
Apr-06-2005, 2:50am
Mozaik played here in Galway, Ireland last summer and somehow I didn't get around to going, for no really good reason. Now when I see the frustration you guys are experiencing getting access to musicians from this side of the water, it makes me feel foolish that I don't take more advantage of chances like that. I bought their "Live at the Powerhouse" CD at the weekend and listened to it for the first time on the way into work this morning. Really kicking myself I didn't go see them now.

Paul Hostetter
Apr-06-2005, 3:31am
When they performed here in Santa Cruz, even though the personnel was shifted a bit (Donal Lunny ably replaced by Tony McManus) the show was much like the "Live at the Powerhouse" CD. That CD speaks well to the notion of recording a CD after completing a tour, rather than the other way around!

Anyway, you get to hear them again over there, and a bunch of us over here are quite jealous!

mancmando
Apr-06-2005, 7:53am
Maybe.. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

But there is loads more bluegrass/jazz etc over in America, so it's swing's and roundabouts....