PDA

View Full Version : Mother wants to sell 1920s Gibson.

DanSmith9999
Feb-28-2004, 1:12pm
I am new to this message board. #My 88 year old mother has a Gibson Mandolin that is in original condition with case. #See picture and manufacturer's label below. She wants to sell it to someone who would want to play it. #Please advise me as to how to proceed. #I am not a mandolin player. #I am not sure exactly how this cafe works, so an email to me at DanSmith9999@aol.com may be another way to hear from you.

The label inside the instrument says
"Patented Feb 1, '98 (1898)
Patented March 30, '06 (1906)
Other Patents pending
Gibson Mandolin Style A
Number ____ is hereby
Guaranteed
Against faulty workmanship or material. Should this instrument , with proper care and usage, go wrong, we agree to repair it free of charge or to replace it with another of same style or value.
Gibson Mandoline-Guitar Co.
(manufacturers)
Kalamazoo, Michigan, U.S.A."

It's dimensions are: Dimensions 26+ inches long by 10 inches wide

Km1000seth
Feb-28-2004, 2:13pm
Im nat a Gibson collector of evan a fan, but Id be pretty sure you could get around 2K for it,
but please, dont take these words as facts.

Seth

Km1000seth
Feb-28-2004, 2:14pm
but after you get a proven price post it on the cafe classifieds

bflat
Feb-28-2004, 6:43pm
looks like a mid 20's snakehead, there more knowledgable folks than me around but i've been following the prices for a couple years and would say a minimum of $2500 up to $3500 if its real nice. take no less. get the cash first then ship the instrument.

John Rosett
Feb-28-2004, 9:58pm
if possible, you should take it to a reputable musical instrument repair shop, or a music store where they deal in mandolins. have it checked out to make sure it's in structurally sound condition. that way, when you do sell it, there should be no problems.
i agree with the $2500-3000 price tag if it's as good as it looks. (i'm drooling)
good luck, and remember me if she decides she just wants to donate it to some lucky mando player......john

darin
Feb-29-2004, 12:17pm
Looks like it has an adjustable bridge, which woudldn't be original to the instrument.

johnnymando
Feb-29-2004, 12:55pm
Its a mid 20's snakehead,looks right.The bridge should say pat.1921.They produced a lot of sheraton browns in 23.If its all original(parts&finish),with no cracks,seporations or repairs,its worth $2000 to $2600 on the street.Remember that a reputible instrument dealer will stand behind his sale,therefore comanding more than you or I.

racuda
Feb-29-2004, 1:17pm
Looks like it has an adjustable bridge, which woudldn't be original to the instrument.
The adjustable bridge was one of Lloyd Loar's innovations. So it would be correct for an instrument made after 1922.

Bob DeVellis
Feb-29-2004, 5:14pm
I can't remember the last time I saw an old Gibson case with the hinge ribbons intact.

For comparison, you might want to watch this auction (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3706613403&category=10179), which features a similar instrument.