PDA

View Full Version : To buy or not to buy..2013 Northfield NF-F5SE

Bill Burch
Apr-27-2014, 1:10pm
Fellow Cafe-ers,

A local high-end acoustic instrument shop (and Northfield dealer) is selling a 2013 Northfield NF-F5SE on consignment. Their asking price is fair and I could potentially same considerable $$ over purchasing a new Northfield.

The mandolin is in excellent shape with little fret wear and no apparent finish issues that many of you have brought up on the Northfield thread. Would you say that, if this 18 month old instrument shows no sign of finish crazing or clouding that I shouldn't worry about it? Seems like the lacquer has had plenty of time to cure and that if it's OK now, it should be fine from here on out.

Any guidance or feedback would be appreciated.

Bill

bigskygirl
Apr-27-2014, 1:56pm
Its a nice one at a nice price. Don't know what to say about the finish, I had a guitar that was fine and after 3 years developed some finish issues, might have been the finish or the environment or who knows what. It can be fixed.

I'd go check it out and see for yourself, is it something you could live with for a nice mandolin at a nice price. I like that it's got an Englemann top. I have a couple of guitars with that and it prefer the sound and look.

I'll check the cafe later to look for your NMD thread.....:)

almeriastrings
Apr-28-2014, 12:24am
The reported finish issues were related to a small number of varnished models. That said, I have a varnished one that has had no problems whatever. Lacquer is a considerably more "forgiving" finish, so I really would not be in the least concerned on that score.

kwd
Apr-28-2014, 10:37am
I played a consignment 2013 Northfield last Saturday at a local, high-end music store on Saturday. I think there's a pretty good chance we're talking about the same instrument. It sounded better than my Eastman 505, but it didn't make me want to reach for my credit card. It had a more balanced sound across the registers. It's a beautiful instrument; the wood pick guard is a nice touch. I think they used some kind of veneer for the top binding which I prefer to the ivoroid look. I find it hard to objectively evaluate an instrument that's is so visually appealing. My advice would be to go in and spend some time with it -while trying to not look at it.

I'd encourage you to talk to any of the 'old hands' at the store. I did that a few months ago with the one of the patriarchs. While he didn't say anything bad about Northfields, he seemed neutral.

Best of luck