PDA

View Full Version : Sherwood Solid Body Mandolin

petetexas
Apr-27-2014, 5:52am
Hi Guys,
Does anyone know anything about a Sherwood Mandolin I have just purchased from a guy on ebay.
It is solid mahogany body and neck, with a single coil pickup, one volume , one tone.
It looks hand made - due to the routing for the pickup and control cavity being not as smooth as you would expect from manufactured routing, and the body to neck joint having a gap ( which has been filled )
I did not play in tune when I first received it, intonation out - bridge could not be put in correct position due to scratch plate being to far back, some of the strings were not seating on zero fret - guide holding them above the fret. Pickup was VERY quiet - volume pot shorting out.
I fell in love with the shape of it , and the looks of the solid mahogany body, so I bought it.
After a couple of hours sorting out, it now plays like a dream, and in tune !
Anyhow, anyone know anything about the name SHERWOOD.
Thanks

Pete:cool:

pheffernan
Apr-27-2014, 7:01am
To the archives! http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/search.php?searchid=4669685

petetexas
Apr-27-2014, 1:22pm
Hi pheffernan,

When I click on link, it says "sorry no matches"

mrmando
Apr-27-2014, 1:42pm
Wrong archives.

http://emando.com/builders_active/Sherwood.htm

mandolinlee
Apr-27-2014, 1:48pm
Guess I'll have to be on the lookout for one of those Sherwood Mandolins, since that's where I live.
Lee

pheffernan
Apr-27-2014, 2:34pm
When I click on link, it says "sorry no matches"

I simply entered "Sherwood" in the search box in the upper right corner of this page.

petetexas
Apr-28-2014, 4:23am
Thanks guys,

Nice to get some info.........the picture on the left is the one I have.

Thanks again

Pete

petetexas
Apr-28-2014, 9:27am
Just a further update.........Hobgoblin have been in touch, and state that SHERWOOD was a name used on their UK made Mandolins.
Quote.....
"Your mandolin was quite likely made by Eddy Harper Mayhew between 1995 and 2005 perhaps, though there were earlier incarnations of that project."
Great to have some info

Pete