PDA

View Full Version : Cast Tailpiece?

Ron Cox
Apr-26-2014, 8:38am
I saw this on Ebay from a seller I've bought from before and thought the price was decent but it is listed as a "cast" tailpiece and I'm not sure.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/380892805001?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:VRI&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2661

I'm thinking of putting it on my Washburn since the tailpiece on it is quite cheap (stamped) and the cover is forever either falling off or buzzing. I've bent the cover to tighten it up so many times but the metal is quite soft.

Anyhoo, does anyone think it's worth $20 to try it out? If I don't have to drill new holes, I should be able to swap it back, right?

Brandon Sumner
Apr-26-2014, 9:12am
Not familiar with this one but my experience has been that even if it is listed as a direct change out (IE, no need to redrill) this is usually not the case. That top part seems unusually wide also?

EdHanrahan
Apr-26-2014, 9:40am
While very nice looking, the overall design reminds me of the older bowl-backs; "classical" and, yes, very wide. But...

Just eyeballing from the outside dimensions drawn on his 2nd photo, I'd guess that the two side screw holes are about 1 3/4" apart, which isn't even close to more standard dimensions. Just from what's at hand now, my '17 Gibson A-1 is 1 1/8" between screws; more recent Rover is 1".

Wilbur Tabacsko
Apr-26-2014, 10:04am
I would pass on that one and keep looking. Too large and those string posts look subject to failure.

Ron Cox
Apr-26-2014, 11:30am
ok, kinda fell in love with the idea of a cast tailpiece, but can't see spending $80+ on a tailpiece for a sub $200 mandolin. Well, my Kentucky does have a lot of sentimental value.

Saw another for $60 that came off of a SilverAngel. Very pretty, think it's Orrico, but used.

Ron Cox
Apr-26-2014, 11:33am
BTW, here's a pic of it on one of his Mandolins that he sells.

Owned one of these once (with different stamped tailpiece). Top heavy and not for me, but it sure was pretty.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/FLORAL-INLAY-SOLIDWOOD-ACACIA-KOA-F4-MANDOLA-HANDWORKS-4370-/380886136123?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item58ae95353b

Pete Jenner
Apr-26-2014, 12:46pm
Yes, many of us have owned one of these at some time.
I have nothing against Antonio Tsai but will never buy another of his mandolins or accessories.

Eddie Sheehy
Apr-26-2014, 1:10pm
Yep, what Pete said...

Ron Cox
Apr-26-2014, 1:23pm
I count myself lucky with the Mandolin I got from him. His S&H was $80 at the time and I only paid $80 for the Mandolin itself. Really pretty, and after 5 years, it hadn't separated (as I heard they do) and I unloaded it for a lot more than I paid for it. I do miss seeing it on the wall. There's a void on my rack waiting for my Eastman to come home.

So, general consensus is, the tailpiece isn't worth $20. I did make an offer on the Orrico, though I might be under bidding a bit.

multidon
Apr-26-2014, 2:06pm
The Mandolin Store and others carry this one by AXL. Only 45 dollars. Probably the least expensive cast tailpiece out there. Never tried one myself though.

http://www.themandolinstore.com/scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=9093

Eddie Sheehy
Apr-26-2014, 2:25pm
There's the Ashton Bailey cast tailpiece from Canada - under $50...

http://www.instrumentalley.com/Ashton-Bailey-Cast-Mandolin-Tailpiece-Gold-p/ab-tp-fslash-gd.htm

Ron Cox
Apr-26-2014, 3:01pm
Made an offer on the Orrico on Ebay. Good looking and if I can get it for the price of the Ashton....

I should really not buy anything. I should hang onto my money to pay off my Eastman. I think I'm just looking for things wrong with my old Mandolins (that are not as pretty or as sweet as the Eastman). But I do believe a cast tailpiece is a good investment, eventually, at least for the Washburn. Both of my mandos have decent (though cheap) tuners that aren't giving me trouble and their bridges have been worked over to optimize them. New strings the past two months and they do get played a lot. Once I got my hands on a "Quality" instrument though...

Funny how MAS sneaks up on you.

Jim Garber
Apr-26-2014, 3:24pm
I would pass on that one and keep looking. Too large and those string posts look subject to failure.

I had a friend buy one to put on a custom US made mandolin and, as predicted above, the string posts failed and the tailpiece was way too bulky. Caveat emptor, for sure.

multidon
Apr-26-2014, 6:34pm

The Ashton Bailey does not have a standard 3 hole pattern. It is much closer to a Monteleone pattern like the original Allen. Their own specs say "may require drilling new holes". The AXL for around the same price has a "standard 3 hole pattern" according to TMS. So it would probably be easier to retrofit than the AB.

Ivan Kelsall
Apr-27-2014, 2:06am
That's not a cast tailpiece !. In the picture you can clearly see the signs that it's a 'stamped' from sheet metal & 'bent' t/piece,& it doesn't look to hot either. If you want a good cast t/piece,then go for an Allen.They're more expensive,but a whole world away from that item (IMHO). If the fixing holes on your Washburn are at the 'standard' Gibson hole spacings,then an Allen is a simple swap over. A t/piece with Monteleone hole spacings will require a plug & re-drill job. I know because the t/piece on my Lebeda has the Monteleone hole pattern & it's nothing like the Gibson 'standard'. ( Lebeda on the left & 'Gibson' standard on the right + Allen standard t/piece)
Ivan
118543 118544

Michael Bridges
Apr-27-2014, 5:18am
I had an Ashton Bailey tailpiece on my MM MDM-2, and was really happy with it. May consider putting one on my new mando down the road.Edit: Just saw the previous 2 posts, nevermind!

http://www.instrumentalley.com/Ashton-Bailey-Cast-Mandolin-Tailpiece-Gold-p/ab-tp-fslash-gd.htm

Pete Jenner
Apr-27-2014, 6:11am
That's not a cast tailpiece !. In the picture you can clearly see the signs that it's a 'stamped' from sheet metal & 'bent' t/piece,& it doesn't look to hot either. If you want a good cast t/piece,then go for an Allen.They're more expensive,but a whole world away from that item (IMHO). If the fixing holes on your Washburn are at the 'standard' Gibson hole spacings,then an Allen is a simple swap over. A t/piece with Monteleone hole spacings will require a plug & re-drill job. I know because the t/piece on my Lebeda has the Monteleone hole pattern & it's nothing like the Gibson 'standard'. ( Lebeda on the left & 'Gibson' standard on the right + Allen standard t/piece)
Ivan
118543 118544

I've used the Allens exclusively so far. They are a good tailpiece but are spoiled by the 'Allen' stamped/cast into the end. Unless they get rid of that, I doubt I'll use them again.

David Houchens
Apr-27-2014, 12:17pm
I'll stay with the James tailpiece, unless I start making my own. (Which won't happen anytime soon if ever). Definitely not $40 -$50. A bit pricey for a 200.00 mandolin, but you can always swap them back out if you want to sell the mandolin or get one you like better. Nice investment, very user friendly and traditional look to boot. I'm sure they're not for everyone, just my choice.

bratsche
Apr-27-2014, 2:14pm
They're not cast metal, but just as nice, i think, and reasonably priced - I have to put in my usual plug for Keith Newell's tailpieces (NFI). He makes them from stainless steel, and I really like their simple, elegant designs, of which there are several to choose from.

bratsche