PDA

View Full Version : clear plastic templates.

jazzjune18
Apr-25-2014, 5:18pm
All. Looking to build some templates for mandolins. As far as a thin clear plastic, anyone know a place to get them relatively cheap? I am looking at the following on amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/Sheet-Clear-Cell-Acrylic-Plexiglass/dp/B00844UTSW/ref=sr_1_3?s=office-products&ie=UTF8&qid=1398464075&sr=1-3&keywords=3%2F16+clear+plastic

Thanks for your help

Tommcgtx
Apr-25-2014, 5:23pm
I got mine from a local reprographics place. They had the best prices, and no shipping involved.

sunburst
Apr-25-2014, 5:50pm
I've gone to local hardware stores that sell glass (and plexiglass) and asked if they had any scraps. They did, and either gave them to me or sold them to me at good prices.

jazzjune18
Apr-25-2014, 7:18pm
Thanks guys. Great tips. Thanks for the help

Bill Snyder
Apr-25-2014, 9:55pm
Lowes. They have Plexiglas and Lexan in various thicknesses.

Skip Kelley
Apr-26-2014, 6:45am
I got some from a local upholstery shop. The plastic was white but it cut easily with scissors. They were old patterns no longer in use and they gave them to me for free.

tdnate
Apr-26-2014, 11:13am
Some cities have plastic supply stores and have scrap bins. Ours you can buy scrap by the pound. I have picked up usable pieces of clear and even UHMW plastic (great for jigs and such) on the cheap.

Lefty Luthier
Apr-27-2014, 12:27pm
I gave up on plastic templates years ago. They are just too fragile for regular use. I use and suggest 3 millimeter plywood. Less expensive and nearly indestructible.

Gavin Baird
Apr-27-2014, 3:51pm
the best plastic i ever found was plexiglas..the important to remember is that there are two types..extruded and cast.. the cast version is the best for it does not melt when shaped or sanded..extruded does..cast is designated by GP

Bluetickhound
Apr-28-2014, 3:13pm
Big box builders supply places have sheets of lexan as bug as you'd ever need.

Bluetickhound
Apr-29-2014, 7:09am
Or big, as the case may be....

John Arnold
Apr-29-2014, 5:46pm
I gave up on plastic templates years ago. They are just too fragile for regular use.
My clear templates are 1/8" Plexiglas, and they seem to be very durable. I know some of them are over 20 years old, and I have dropped them on concrete, stacked wood on top of them, etc, with no damage other than some scratches or a chipped corner.
AFAIK, Lexan is even more durable.