PDA

View Full Version : My redwood Silverangel

kyken
Apr-20-2014, 6:30pm
Here's one just off the workbench. 1850 redwood topped, hard sugar maple back. Great combination for deep and woody sound.

Michael Bridges
Apr-20-2014, 7:36pm
Another Beauty! Your instruments never fail to impress me. Bet this one really sounds sweet.

Zissou Intern
Apr-20-2014, 7:59pm
That is stunning, Ken. I have always admired your workmanship and aesthetics.

almeriastrings
Apr-22-2014, 11:35pm
Superb, as always. If you have never heard/played a Silverangel, it is worth trying to find one to experience. They really do have a special mojo and a very unique tonal palate of their own. Really different from the run-of-the-mill "Loar" clones.

sgrexa
Apr-23-2014, 9:40am
Beautiful instrument Ken. This is definitely not a Loar clone. The bridge and F holes are moved back and the angle of the strings over the saddle looks more acute. It reminds me of a Gibson F-7, without the "shortened" neck. Is this a newer design and how would you compare it to your "normal" F5 design?

Sean

kyken
Apr-23-2014, 3:40pm
Beautiful instrument Ken. This is definitely not a Loar clone. The bridge and F holes are moved back and the angle of the strings over the saddle looks more acute. It reminds me of a Gibson F-7, without the "shortened" neck. Is this a newer design and how would you compare it to your "normal" F5 design?

Sean
I have a little more arch on the top, therefore more neck angle. This is the same design I've been using a long time, maybe it just looks odd with the picture angle. This thing is deep and woody, seems like the redwood does exactly what I want. The hard sugarmaple back works well with it too.

sgrexa
Apr-23-2014, 4:04pm
Maybe it is the picture angle, but to my eyes it looks different than this Silver Angel.

Sean

dmeyreles
Apr-23-2014, 4:37pm
Beautiful!

kyken
Apr-23-2014, 4:50pm
Maybe it is the picture angle, but to my eyes it looks different than this Silver Angel.

Sean
oh yes, different than that one for sure. I've made some modifications since that one. One little thing changed makes everything a little different though. I think I've got what I've been looking for in sound figured out it seems. I hope so anyway.

eastKYmando
Apr-23-2014, 4:51pm
I met Ken at an Arby's a week or so ago when this mandolin was still in the white and it was a knockdown killer! I felt like it obviously had the tonal qualities that you'd expect from Ken's mandolins (deep, woody, even), and it seemed to be very responsive and had a nice balance. As far as the Redwood goes, I got a Redwood F from Ken a few months ago...just before his second surgery, and I loved the "wet" sustain of the Redwood compared to the Cedar top Silverangel that I had just before I ordered my Redwood. I found that this mandolin was equally as powerful as mine and had that same tonal "wetness". I think this batch of Redwood is really a match made in heaven for Ken. He has always been able to get that little something more in the depth department, but this Redwood is accenting and complimenting what Ken is and does as a builder. I can assure you that this mandolin would not disappoint. I've told Ken that every time I play one of his mandolins, it gets my buyers juices flowing. I have two great Redwoods of Ken's as it is (one A and an F), but if I were in the market.....I wouldn't have left the Arby's without this one. And by the way, it had only been strung up a few days when I played it....and it was in the white!! I know that my Redwood had improved dramatically after about 2 weeks of steady/daily play. Not to sound cliche', but I can only imagine how good this one is going to be.

stevedenver
Apr-24-2014, 8:16am
'wetness'-does that mean sustain, as in the term when used in conjunction with reverb or delay?

Frank Farley
Apr-24-2014, 10:18pm
I got to hear this one too and it is a killer! I'm not very good at describing tone but it sure sounds great.

dang
Apr-25-2014, 2:33am
I met Ken at an Arby's a week or so ago... ...but if I were in the market I wouldn't have left the Arby's without this one.

I have no idea why this struck me as so funny...:mandosmiley:

eastKYmando
Apr-25-2014, 7:54am
'wetness'-does that mean sustain, as in the term when used in conjunction with reverb or delay?

Yeah, I would classify "wetness" as sustain. Just has a nice warmth and the notes hang around when played for sweeter/softer applications....and yeah, LOL, I'm often accused of saying things with a touch of humor.....but in reality, we did meet at an Arby's, I played this mandolin yesterday in a Mexican joint....I guess I need to go on a restaurant tour!!! Really nice mandolin. I'd classify it as "GREAT", especially if you like mandolins that are not in the mid-rangy Loar mold. This thing has depth, and that's a must for me in a mandolin.

Dotneck
Jul-23-2014, 6:12am
This thing is deep and woody, seems like the redwood does exactly what I want. The hard sugarmaple back works well with it too.

Is the switch to redwood a recent move or have you been using it for quite a while? Its discussions like this that made me want a redwood silverangel...

kyken
Jul-23-2014, 8:00am
Is the switch to redwood a recent move or have you been using it for quite a while? Its discussions like this that made me want a redwood silverangel...
I've used redwood before, but only in limited quantities. Now that I have this 1850 redwood, I should be able to use it alot more. It sure has to be handled a little different from the other woods. It took a little while for me to learn just what it needed, but I feel like I have it now, combination of thickness and bracing had to be modified a bit.

Bernie Daniel
Jul-23-2014, 8:31am
That is a stunningly beautiful mandolin -- maybe part of it is the light but it looks totally rich and antique at the same time. In "real life" does the coloration remind you of an nineteens F-4?

Skip Kelley
Jul-24-2014, 2:00pm
Ken, love your work! Great looking mandolin brother!

edandjudy3946
Aug-04-2014, 3:09pm
what kind of tailpiece is this

edandjudy3946
Aug-04-2014, 3:32pm
what is that tailpiece - beautiful as is the mando

Sean

mtk
Aug-10-2014, 7:45am
Orrico mandolin tailpiece. Can get them from a few places. Runs about 80-90 bucks. I have one, they look pretty, have leather piece to dampen the overtones, but they can be hard to restring.

kyken
Aug-10-2014, 8:25am
Orrico mandolin tailpiece. Can get them from a few places. Runs about 80-90 bucks. I have one, they look pretty, have leather piece to dampen the overtones, but they can be hard to restring.
Once you make a little "J" hook in the loop end of the string, it's pretty easy. No more beautiful of a tailpiece on the market in my opinion.

edandjudy3946
Aug-10-2014, 11:52am
I put the loop om whatever tailpiece I have then put a Shubb capo on the 8th fret or so to hold the string until it's on the post and has enough tension to stay on the hook while I then remove the capo and continue tuning

bohemianbiker
Aug-14-2014, 10:05pm
Wow, that is a beauty to behold. bb