PDA

View Full Version : Neil Dean 2-point mandolin

G. Fisher
Mar-08-2005, 7:59pm
Here are pictures of the new mandolin I got from Neil at Wintergrass.

G. Fisher
Mar-08-2005, 8:35pm
This mandolin was talked about a lot at Wintergrass. #It has great projection and tone along with easy playability. The sound is clean and clear all the way up the neck. #I think I my have to get Neil to built me an F5 also. #All of the mandolins that he had at Wintergrass sounded great and his booth seemed to always be occupied with people trying his mandolins. #Neil really made a great impression with all the players I talked with.

It is also the first mandolin my fiancee has ever told me to buy and that says a lot. #Whenever I talk about getting a mandolin she has always said "That is just like your other ones." But this time she said "That is different than all your other mandolins and you should get it."

berkeleymando
Mar-08-2005, 8:42pm
I love the appearance of this instrument. The black top look is nice and I like the peghead shape.

G. Fisher
Mar-08-2005, 9:33pm
Here is a close up of the peghead

Eric F.
Mar-08-2005, 11:17pm
Wow! I'm a sucker for a nice two-point. Enjoy your new mando.

telepbrman
Mar-09-2005, 1:33am
A work of art!!! Thanks for the scoop, dy.

Flowerpot
Mar-09-2005, 11:44am
Yep, that was a good snag. I thought all of his mandos there at Wintergrass were great sounding, and this one was very sweet, balanced, and loud. Way to go!

Justin Carvitto
Mar-09-2005, 11:52am
I played that one a few times. Glad to see it land here on the cafe. Lucky!

mandopete
Mar-09-2005, 1:14pm
It is also the first mandolin my fiancee has ever told me to buy and that says a lot. #Whenever I talk about getting a mandolin she has always said "That is just like your other ones." But this time she said "That is different than all your other mandolins and you should get it."
Right On! #That was my point (or should I say two-point) exactly. #I love the fact that is not just another F-Style mandolin and that just adds to the "coolness". #I notice that it's not a symetrical two-point, is that a new design? #It looks very different from the Bussman style two-poiners.

G. Fisher
Mar-10-2005, 11:55pm
I put on a fossilized ivory bridge saddle because I thought it looked cool.

G. Fisher
Mar-11-2005, 12:23am
Here is a close up of the back that shows the figure of the wood a little better.

Kbone
Mar-11-2005, 9:08am
Greg
How is the sound different from , say your Brentrup...

Keith

G. Fisher
Mar-11-2005, 1:18pm
I guess It could be described as more mellow than my Brentrup. Several people have said it would be a great mando for jazz. It has more of a "modern" tone than the "Loar" tone. #Anyone who has heard both of these mandolins feel free to add your opinion.

Greg

Flowerpot
Mar-11-2005, 2:14pm
Well, I tried both of them, and they are quite different, but I liked them both. I'd say that the 2-point was warm, focused, round, with a punchy attack. The Brent is more... hmmm... clear, complex, and covers a lot of sonic spectrum from deep lows to crisp highs. Boy, this stuff is hard to put into words. But I would agree that the Dean 2-pointer would made a great jazz/swing instrument.

G. Fisher
Mar-14-2005, 2:29am
I had a few PMs asking about the details of the mandolin.

Top: German Spruce
Back and Sides: Curly maple
Bracing: Tone bar
Finish: Varnish
Fingerboard: slight radius