PDA

View Full Version : Jake Jolliff and Ryan Cavanaugh Video

tablaninja
Apr-20-2014, 9:45am
Thought you folks might like to see this video. My buddy Ryan played a set with Jake the other night up in NYC. These guys are insanley talented. I have my fingers crossed that they'll do an album together.

lmixUbCv3c0

Franc Homier Lieu
Apr-21-2014, 8:32am
Thanks for posting. Great video. Looks like it is about to get a few more views, as another thread was just started to discuss it....

lenf12
Apr-21-2014, 10:37am
It's difficult for me to have "musings" such as AlanN suggested in the related thread. Difficult because it's just one tune and I would have to hear the entire performance to reach those same "musings". Jake is technically brilliant on this tune (and so is Ryan) however I find Ryan's phrasing on the banjo to be more musical and breathing. Would be nice to hear an entire show of these guys to better appreciate their range of musicality.

Len B.
Clearwater, FL

Atlanta Mando Mike
Apr-21-2014, 2:58pm
Charlie Parker - "Master your instrument, master the music & then forget all that & just play."

My point here is that its a journey and Jake is a very talented young guy who is obviously stretching. One doesn't magically go from playing bluegrass/traditional/even newgrass music to bop. That's a progression. You practice the right things and play with the right people. He's doing both.

Matt DeBlass
Apr-21-2014, 6:04pm
I just heard that Joy Kills Sorrow will be splitting up (at least for now), to give members more time for other projects, maybe Jolliff will be flexing his jazz muscles a bit more. I look forward to seeing what he gets up to