PDA

View Full Version : Orrin Star's mando

rose#1
Mar-08-2005, 5:52pm
this is the mando just delivered to Orrin today.

Lane Pryce
Mar-08-2005, 5:59pm
Very nice Darby.I especially like the satin finish. Lp

Mar-08-2005, 6:56pm
Yes very nice. I dont know why but that pickguard stands out. Very nice pickguard.

Scotti Adams
Mar-08-2005, 7:46pm
..lookin good Darby

evanreilly
Mar-08-2005, 8:11pm
Is he no longer playing his Kettler mandolin?

fatt-dad
Mar-08-2005, 8:25pm
Is he no longer playing his Kettler mandolin?
Sunday night, I asked Orrin about his "tree frog" Kettler mandolin. He still has it, but was playing another f-style mandolin that had a great deep (should I say woody) tone. It was a wonderful contrast to the Rigel that Gaudreau was playing - they did a few mandolin duets.

levin4now
Mar-09-2005, 7:40am
Interesting. I saw him Saturday night. He was playing a non-sunbursted, brown colored Fstyle mandolin. The name of the maker escapes me but I believe the builder was from the Northeast,like Vermont, Orrin said. That would have been interesting to see the first public performance of the Rose - a maker I've seen so many pictures from here on the board.

What is the "tree-frog" mando?

kyblue
Mar-09-2005, 8:26am
Nice scroll...

barricwiley
Mar-09-2005, 11:19am
Hey Darby, great looking mandolin. Can we see the rest of it?
Richard http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/rock.gif

Scotti Adams
Mar-09-2005, 2:39pm
..yea..lets see the back..

mandoJeremy
Mar-09-2005, 4:30pm
Alan, my guess would be that the non-bursted brown F-style you saw was a Kettler since he used that color a lot on his mandos, plus he lives in Vermont. They are great mandolins.

fatt-dad
Mar-09-2005, 4:36pm
Alan, my guess would be that the non-bursted brown F-style you saw was a Kettler since he used that color a lot on his mandos, plus he lives in Vermont. #They are great mandolins.
MJ, It wasn't the Kettler. When I asked him about it he said he didn't have it with him. The non-burst mandolin that he had had a star logo on the headstock and he said what it was, I just can't remember. It was from a New England builder though. When I took lessons with Orrin, I remember the Kettler and it just wasn't it.

f-d

Orrin Star
Mar-09-2005, 4:52pm
Hi Folks:

Thought I'd chime in here. #Haven't played my Tree Frog/Kettler
for some time; the mandolin I'd been using until now was an
Elliot Burch (maker in NH who's no longer building - which visually
from the front is reminiscent of the Kettler in that it too has a plain
wood top without a sunburst).

Re my new Rose mando: it is one of the most mature-sounding new
instruments I've ever heard. #During the decade when I was living in NYC
my favorite F in town was my former bandmember Bob Green's very old Luke
Thompson mandolin; it had a punch and a depth that was to die for.
(I actually ordered a mandolin from Thompson once on approval - but
when it arrived it didn't sound better than my Kettler; there was something
about that older one that just had it.)

This Rose sounds the most like that older Thompson of any new insturment
I've heard. #I would say that sonically, Darby is definitely at the head of the
class of younger makers today. (Some of the minute finish details are not
up there with the marquee makers yet #- but neither is what he charges.)
I will be using this mandolin at my gigs henceforth; it sounds too good not
to play.

Best,

Orrin
www.orrinstar.com

cutbait2
Mar-09-2005, 5:34pm
I was very impressed by Darby's work when I heard Mike of Nothin Fancy playing his last year at the LRB BG fest. I finally got my order in a week before Scotti did. I assume Darby will build them together and send me the best sounding one.(insert smiley face):D

Jonathan Reinhardt
Mar-09-2005, 6:00pm
Orrin - where/when did you come by that mandolin by Elliot? He was a neighbor of mine for many years. Probably the only mandolin shop that cranked out snowshoes from time to time, too! Congrats on your new Rose - nice one, Darby.

rasa

Scotti Adams
Mar-09-2005, 6:17pm
The Luke Thompson mando that Orrin spoke about.....I owned for a while....it is/was indeed one of if not the biggest sounding mandos Ive ever owned. I sold it to Bob Greene when he was living in Ohio. Orrin..tell Bob I said Hi...thanks.

om21ed
Mar-09-2005, 7:06pm
Darby and Orrin

Any more pictures available ? Especially interested in the neck, is it more a V or a U ? #A close-up on the scroll and a side shop, maybe? #i'm pining and saving up a deposit

Orrin Star
Mar-09-2005, 7:33pm
I came by the Elliott Burch on consignment at the Fretted Instrument
Workshop in Amherst MA when I was passing through one time.

Scotti: I don't see Bob Green much anymore (I'm living in MD now)
- so you should probably look him up on the web if you want to
say hi to him. that instrument's needed quite q bit of work over the years,
but what a monster sonically.

Interestingly, I was in Nashville in February (performing at the SPBGMA
awards evening) and I ran into Luke Thompson, who had a booth in
the lobby. #I ended up borrowing his personal instrument to play in the
show. #Though it badly needed strings, it had 'that' sound. (And - in keeping
with the 'cobbler's kids go unshorn' ethos - it was a cosmetic wreck.)
But it was cool meeting him.

Orrin

Scotti Adams
Mar-09-2005, 7:39pm
...that particular mando started having problems soon after I bought it....seems the headstock had been snapped clean off at the nut...somebody grafted it back on by using a spoon handle by digging a channel in the neck and filling it with wood putty...restained it. Me being a very unsuspecting 17 yr old bought it. I eventually had a neck put in it...Bob ended up with it not long after that. Cant wait for my Rose..Im playing Rose #12 that Darby loaned me till he gets mine done...needless to say...as you have stated..it has "That" sound...dark, dry, deep, woody and throaty.

mandoJeremy
Mar-10-2005, 12:49am
Orrin, I want your Kettler if you are willing to sale! #

levin4now
Mar-10-2005, 8:27am
f-d

I don't remember the 'star' logo on the headstock of Orrin's Burch mando. I don't remember ANYTHING on that headstock....

...now Jimmy had a big star on his Rigel Vega cylinder-back-copy mandola though...

fatt-dad
Mar-10-2005, 8:54am
f-d

I don't remember the 'star' logo on the headstock of Orrin's Burch mando. #I don't remember ANYTHING on that headstock....

...now Jimmy had a big star on his Rigel Vega cylinder-back-copy mandola though...
my bad - your right.

f-d

Kbone
Mar-10-2005, 10:23am
I had a nice Rose F5 , but had to sell to help finance my daughters wedding. Darby is making a great mando for the money..