PDA

View Full Version : Best Electric Acoustic mandolin for $600/£400

Joe X
Apr-17-2014, 9:39am
Looking for a good electric acoustic mandolin for about $600/£400. Will be used for playing live with my band in pubs and bars (along with a guitar, fiddle and button accordion) so plan to hook it up to the PA through a DI box.

Current mandolin is an old acoustic with a cheap old pickup (!) and I have to turn all the treble and middle way down on the mixer to get it sounding half decent - even then, it's still pretty harsh. It's time to move on to something better, hopefully with a warmer sound, so what's out there under $600/£400 - anything decent???

Seen a few Epiphone MM50Es for sale recently, but have read mixed reviews.

First post on the forum, so appreciate any thoughts and advice... Thanks!

pheffernan
Apr-17-2014, 10:19am
Both the Godin A8 and the Ovation MM68 get high marks for their plugged in mandolin sound within your price range.

DataNick
Apr-17-2014, 2:21pm
Pat's suggestion works...an alternative could be a new Eastman MD305 with a pickup installed...

Eddie Sheehy
Apr-17-2014, 2:52pm
Ovation MM68 - or an MCS148 in a pinch...

Tim2723
Apr-17-2014, 3:22pm
The Godin and Ovation are the hands-down leaders in that price range. Given that you're playing pubs with a button box and fiddle, the Ovation will be worth a second look for you. The flat-top, round body hybrid has a very "Irish" sound for an AE. It's very similar to the late 60s, early 70s sound the session players were getting. Like the 'Irish' style acoustics it has a big body cavity. It can even hold its own unplugged a lot of the time.

roysboy
Apr-18-2014, 2:44am
Pat's suggestion works...an alternative could be a new Eastman MD305 with a pickup installed...

Yup ....what DataNick says- Best of both worlds .

I've see those Epiphone mm50's selling used for a fraction of their new price , it seems . I've never heard one amplified with the built in PU but I've played several acoustically. The sound leaves MUCH to be desired and the finish is poor ...downright sloppy on some.

Joe X
Apr-18-2014, 5:35am
Thanks for the replies - will certainly check out those recommendations.

I guess I liked the look of the Epiphone MM50E as I probably prefer an F-style and it's obviously not that expensive. However, I do want to upgrade, so I'd maybe even stretch the budget up to $800 if there was a really nice F-style electric acoustic out there that was generally accepted to be a good instrument. So with that in mind, any further thoughts? Thanks!

Tim2723
Apr-18-2014, 7:10am
I've owned two Michael Kelly F-style AEs that were very serviceable, both in that price range. The F-style is inherently more expensive than the A (more decorations) so when you add electronics you're generally ending up with a low-end mandolin with some mediocre electronics for $800. But the MK's worked perfectly well and sounded as good as they could through an amp.

pheffernan
Apr-18-2014, 7:26am
I probably prefer an F-style and it's obviously not that expensive. However, I do want to upgrade, so I'd maybe even stretch the budget up to $800 if there was a really nice F-style electric acoustic out there that was generally accepted to be a good instrument. So with that in mind, any further thoughts? Thanks!

If you "probably prefer" an F style, you should purchase an A style where you'll get more instrument for your dollar (pound?). If you have to have an F style, which I understand happens and I don't judge it, then I think you're looking at buying an acoustic mandolin like The Loar 520 http://elderly.com/new_instruments/names/the-loar-lm-520-vs-mandolin--LM520VS.htm for ~$500 and fitting it with a pickup as Nick said like the K&K Twin http://elderly.com/new_instruments/items/KK8-INT.htm for another ~$90 that you run through a pre-amp like the Red-Eye http://www.amazon.com/Fire-Eye-Development-Red-Eye-Instrument-Preamp/dp/B0089EUZ4A for another ~$200.