PDA

View Full Version : she ain't perfect but she's mine

Keith Newell
Apr-14-2014, 7:42pm
118041118041118042118042118043118043Built from some woods I would not send to a customer. Probably one of the best sounding creations and I'm keeping her because I can.
keith

Steve Sorensen
Apr-14-2014, 7:54pm
The quirky ones always have the most interesting lives. Enjoy!

Steve

Jim Hilburn
Apr-14-2014, 7:55pm
Hey, Keith, I'm looking forward to the day I can make one for me. Take some chances I wouldn't normally do.
Looks great.

Steve Zawacki
Apr-14-2014, 8:12pm
Keith, it's beautiful! The best looking are those that don't look like clones and have their own character. Wow!

Bob Clark
Apr-14-2014, 9:04pm
Looks good to me Keith. I don't see anything there I would have balked at if I were the customer, as long as it sounded good. And if you say it's one of your best sounding, I am sure it would have been a keeper for me! I hope you have lots of fun with it.

Best wishes,

Bob

Doug Heinold
Apr-14-2014, 9:22pm
Beautiful. I love the details in the inlay and tailpiece.

Keith Newell
Apr-14-2014, 9:57pm
Strange, I posted a response before and it does not show. Jim and Steve and now everyone thanks for the response, it means a lot to me.
Keith

Marty Jacobson
Apr-14-2014, 9:58pm
Nice work. That's a good looking buttonless scroll you've worked out.
Maybe one of these days I'll be able to afford one of my own, too....

Keith Newell
Apr-14-2014, 10:04pm
Been years I always was building one for me but they sold. Everyone I know wonders if I really build them because I have to play a tenor banjo at sessions. Done, I'm changing some stuff in life. I have to have a mando I built to play. I even am thinking of selling everything and traveling in a motorhome, I could keep some basic tools but traveling and enjoying the states is very appealing. I could still do mando repair and stuff.
Keith

Zissou Intern
Apr-15-2014, 12:16am
Everything about it is great... the scroll design, the headstock design, the tailpiece design, the inlays. The current buttons match the sun inlay, but I wonder how black buttons would look.

Bertram Henze
Apr-15-2014, 2:05am
Why does this title remind me of Supertramp?

Take a look at my girlfriend
She's the only one I got
Not much of a girlfriend
Never seem to get a lot

Tavy
Apr-15-2014, 3:25am
Well if that's the reject....

Looks great!

Michael Bridges
Apr-15-2014, 5:09am
Not sure about your definition of "Perfect", but to my eyes, that is one gorgeous instrument! Nicely done.

Pete Jenner
Apr-15-2014, 7:14am
I have to have a mando I built to play. I even am thinking of selling everything and traveling in a motorhome, I could keep some basic tools but traveling and enjoying the states is very appealing. I could still do mando repair and stuff.
Keith

Come to Australia Keith. I'll set (chain) you up in the garage and you can share (give to me) all your mando building knowledge. :cool: Muahaha!

Randi Gormley
Apr-15-2014, 8:34am
pretty, pretty, pretty. enjoy!

usqebach
Apr-15-2014, 8:37am
My favorite fiddle was made in the 1930's by a maker from what he ascribed in the label to be "very old italian wood." It doesn't have a tight flame, but has some really interesting patterns. It also has a couple of noticeable knots in it as well.

I bet that's why he didn't sell it when he was alive (his grandson sold it to a violin shop along with a dozen other "blems"). I'm so thankful he didn't, because I bought it within 5 minutes of playing it the first time. It has power, or a "grunt," like no other fiddle I've ever played. (Mandogeeks would call this a great "chop.")

And in a way, I think it's a lot like me, not much to look at and with some obvious flaws, but beneath the skin there's some real character...or A real character! ;)

re simmers
Apr-15-2014, 8:49pm
Great work. What kind of woods are in it?

Thanks for posting the pictures.

Bob

sunburst
Apr-15-2014, 10:07pm
I'm out of mandolins again. Happens every time. I guess if I really set my mind on keeping one I could, but I always figure I can build a better one anyway...
I kind of like the wood in that one. Nice headstock too. Enjoy it!

mandroid
Apr-15-2014, 10:39pm
some woods I would not send to a customer.

Ah , the dark spot on the top back edge is the only blemish I see ..

as good an excuse for a keeper as any ..

Skip Kelley
Apr-16-2014, 6:40am
That is one sweet looking mandolin Keith! I have always admired your work!

sgrexa
Apr-16-2014, 8:53am
Congrats Keith! That blemish adds character and would not bother me at all. My new Nugget has pitch pockets on both sides of the slip matched back. They are near the sides and kind of hidden in the darker finish but they are there. There is also some type of blemish (worm track?) on the top near the bridge. I'm glad Mike did not even bother mentioning them to me because I might just have passed on the mandolin of my dreams. If a builder told me he had wood with small cosmetic defects that was superior to the "prettier" wood in every other aspect, I know what I would choose. My old F9 had a plain maple back (the horror!) but was one of the best F style mandolins I ever owned. Enjoy!

Sean

parttimepicker
Apr-17-2014, 7:09am
She ain't Rose, But she ain't bad....
http://www.guitarparty.com/en/song/she-aint-rose/

JEStanek
Apr-17-2014, 7:50am
I think it looks really good. Hope it gives you years of happy service.

Jamie

Keith Newell
Apr-20-2014, 4:41pm
Even though I didn't get the words to the song correct that what was going through my mind :)
Keith