PDA

View Full Version : James Tailpiece replacement grommets...?

Daniel Nestlerode
Apr-14-2014, 8:01am
I apologize if this question has been fielded recently. A cursory search did not reveal it...

Does anyone know where and how I can get a couple of replacement grommets for a James tailpiece? One was lost is a freak accident changing strings.

If some are available in the UK that would be a bonus, but I don't mind ordering overseas for such a small item.

Many thanks!

Daniel

Tobin
Apr-14-2014, 8:15am
Mine came with two spares in a little baggie (and no I ain't selling them!). Did you not get spares with yours?

If you still have one of them, you might try going down to an auto parts shop and seeing if they have an O-ring of the same size. I'd bet they do.

MikeEdgerton
Apr-14-2014, 8:18am
Send a PM to Bill James. He's a member of the cafe. His profile is here (http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/member.php?6878-Bill-James).

Ron McMillan
Apr-14-2014, 9:06am
I'd like to know the answer to the same question. The grommets have a definitely limited lifetime; the two on mine are beginning to perish and are on the way towards disintegration.

Ray(T)
Apr-14-2014, 9:08am
.... and if you do Danniel, please post his reply back here.

I'm sure that they are a standard sized neoprene "O" rings and it would be handy to know what size for future reference as they should be easily available in the UK as well as anywhere else.

Yours may have come with two spares Tobin but did you buy the tailpiece on its own or was it already attached to a mandolin? Mine was the latter and didn't have the spares.

Tobin
Apr-14-2014, 12:59pm
Yours may have come with two spares Tobin but did you buy the tailpiece on its own or was it already attached to a mandolin? Mine was the latter and didn't have the spares.
My mandolin came from the maker with a James tailpiece, and the extra O-rings were included in the case. I naturally assumed that these were supplied to him as spares with the tailpiece, and he simply passed them along.

Daniel Nestlerode
Apr-14-2014, 3:15pm
Thanks all. I'll check with Gary Vessel (my mando's maker) to see if he has extras, and if he doesn't I'll contact Bill James.

Daniel

almeriastrings
Apr-14-2014, 5:57pm
My mandolin came from the maker with a James tailpiece, and the extra O-rings were included in the case. I naturally assumed that these were supplied to him as spares with the tailpiece, and he simply passed them along.

Same here X 2 (Ellis and Northfield).

Mike Bunting
Apr-14-2014, 6:17pm
They are just o-rings, not grommets, why not just walk down to the hardware store and buy a handful. Or buy on line
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=O-rings&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3AO-rings

Dave Weiss
Apr-14-2014, 8:04pm
Mike, do you happen to know what size "0" ring would work best? I'd hate to buy an assortment like that for a couple small rings.
Thanks,

Mike Bunting
Apr-14-2014, 8:27pm
Mike, do you happen to know what size "0" ring would work best? I'd hate to buy an assortment like that for a couple small rings.
Thanks,
Scroll down through the page and you will see that little bags of one size are sold for a few bucks. As to size, check the ones that are on your tailpiece. Order the same size.

jim simpson
Apr-14-2014, 9:55pm
Mike is right, just O-rings. I found a plastic box of all sizes in my shop and found 2 that I needed. The hinged cover wasn't staying closed until I put the new rings in. I don't know the size just compared the replacements to the old ones.

Gail Hester
Apr-14-2014, 10:22pm
Here's a quote from Bill from a previous thread;

"The o-ring is a standard, the size is dash number 013 in o-ring language. Dimensionally it's .070" by 7/16" ID by 9/16" OD.

$2.56 per 100 pcs. http://www.mcmaster.com/#9452k57/=bqb2r5

The o-rings are actually supposed to hang out the sides of the base and contact the inside of the cover. It further dampens the cover from the possibility of it vibrating.

Cheers

Bill"

Mike Bunting
Apr-14-2014, 10:37pm
You can buy a whole sack, use what you need and give the rest away for little Christmas gifts.

Tobin
Apr-15-2014, 8:17am
The hinged cover wasn't staying closed until I put the new rings in.

Yeah, the way the James tailpiece is designed, the little prongs on the cover are supposed to sort of 'snap' in between the middles of the compressed O-rings. That's the only thing that keeps it closed. It's a pretty cool design, with those two O-rings doing all the work of keeping the strings and cover from rattling or buzzing, as well as keeping the lid closed on a soft surface. But it's easy to see how they will wear over time, or become so deformed that they need replacement. Using a cheap, off-the-shelf, easily available O-ring was a stroke of brilliance in the design.

MikeEdgerton
Apr-15-2014, 8:27am
Here's a quote from Bill from a previous thread;

"The o-ring is a standard, the size is dash number 013 in o-ring language. Dimensionally it's .070" by 7/16" ID by 9/16" OD.

$2.56 per 100 pcs. http://www.mcmaster.com/#9452k57/=bqb2r5

The o-rings are actually supposed to hang out the sides of the base and contact the inside of the cover. It further dampens the cover from the possibility of it vibrating.

Cheers

Bill"

For those of you that are concerned, these O rings can withstand a temperature range of -20° to +212° F. I know that many of you keep a person standing off to the side with a fire extinguisher for the times that you're playing so fast you heat up the strings and the mandolin is in danger of catching fire. This should allow you some comfort in these high heat situations.

mandroid
Apr-15-2014, 8:45am
Too bad the Challenger space shuttle's solid fuel boosters didn't have some of those -20F O rings ..

Daniel Nestlerode
Apr-17-2014, 7:31am
I could not find any o-rings of that particular size in the UK :-/ So I'm having a friend order a pack of 100 and he will send them along.

If you know of anyone in the UK who needs a couple. I'll be happy to help out.

Daniel

Ray(T)
Apr-18-2014, 10:59am
Hi Daniel
These people seem to do them - http://www.polymax.co.uk/o-rings/rubber-nbr-oring/ - in the UK if you can work out exactly which size and which material. There's a minimum order of £10 which will be post free and will get you at least 100 of the things.

If you've sourced them elsewhere, I'd be pleased to take a few off your hands. PM me when they arrive and let me know how much you'd like but bear in mind I'll be away for most of May.
Ray

Mike Bunting
Apr-18-2014, 3:46pm
Hi Daniel
These people seem to do them - http://www.polymax.co.uk/o-rings/rubber-nbr-oring/ - in the UK if you can work out exactly which size and which material. There's a minimum order of £10 which will be post free and will get you at least 100 of the things.

If you've sourced them elsewhere, I'd be pleased to take a few off your hands. PM me when they arrive and let me know how much you'd like but bear in mind I'll be away for most of May.
Ray
There you go, you can be the James o-ring dealer in Britain!

mtucker
Apr-18-2014, 5:02pm
Lubing them when new and then every so often with a little petroleum jelly is key to maintaining long life. If not, they WILL dry and crack. A little goes along way.