PDA

View Full Version : Band leaders

Willie Poole
Apr-11-2014, 10:51am
One time my band was playing a show and a fellow came up to me and told be that the banjo player was terrible, I told him to go tell the banjo player....

Have you ever noticed that when a band isn`t quite up to par it is the leaders fault but when they sound good the pickers are to be praised? I guess it is the same with a baseball manager, when the team stinks you fire the manager....

Have any other band leaders had this happen?

Willie :disbelief:

neil argonaut
Apr-11-2014, 12:28pm
Maybe too it's partly that people don't like to tell someone directly their playing isn't good.

allenhopkins
Apr-11-2014, 8:32pm
Willie, what gets under my skin, is the compulsion some people have to come up and tell musicians that this band member, or that arrangement, or some other element of the band's performance, is "terrible."

If you don't like the band, don't applaud, get up and leave, make a resolve never to hear them again. I bring little printed schedule cards to my performances, and tell the audience, "You oughta take one: if you like my music, you might want to come hear me again -- and if you hate my music, you wouldn't want to wander into some place where I'm playing by accident!"

Constructive criticism is one thing, and I do value suggestions -- even critiques -- from other musicians, or from listeners whom I consider informed -- and basically friendly.

I play most of my gigs solo now, so no one's to blame but me. And most people are polite enough not to say "you suck!" or words to that effect. But opinions about music are mostly just that -- opinions -- and, as the saying points out, as widely distributed as unmentionable parts of one's anatomy.

You wouldn't have the banjo player in your band if you thought he/she was "terrible." That one audience member didn't like the way he/she played, doesn't constitute an objective assessment.

Only time I ever had an instrument broken in a fight, was in a Brockport coffeehouse about 1974, when a drunken college kid insisted my old bluegrass band was playing the Stones' No Expectations "too fast," and took a swing at my brother. We ended up with some bruises and my F-2 had a busted headstock (which the kid's girlfriend paid me to repair). Since then, I've tended to rate vehemently expressed negative audience opinions, as saying more about the person who expresses them, than about the music. Don't take 'em too seriously, and try to avoid fights...

JeffD
Apr-11-2014, 11:59pm
It is standard in project management. The good project leader takes all the blame, and delegates all the praise. Just the way it is. Lonely at the top.

AlanN
Apr-12-2014, 12:18am
Audience member (to a band member): Hey, you're pretty good. I'm having a jam at my house next Saturday, why don't you drop by? Just to let you know, there may be some drinkin'. May be some fightin, too. Probably some lovin, as well.

- Hey, I'd love to, what should I wear?

- Don't matter, just gonna be the 2 of us.../

(gets me every time)

Ivan Kelsall
Apr-12-2014, 1:13am
I've found that the biggest critics of music of almost any kind are folk who wouldn't know a banjo from a yo-yo !!. (NO jokes please !). Self appointed / annointed masters of completely b****R all,& i'm afraid i treat them as such. 99% of the time,musicians in all genres of music are doing their best,whether they're top flight players or not & they deserve respect. Over a 50 year period,i've seen some of the very best musicians from Folk / Bluegrass / Jazz / Blues & Classical music playing live. I've also seen newbies struggling to play pieces of music that they're still learning - all have my utmost respect. We all know how hard it was at first & we should be able to relate to these guys & gals, & far from dissing them,i feel that the folk on here would give as much encouragement as they could. Years back when i used to attend several of the Bluegrass festivals over here in the UK,i've literally spent hours showing newbie banjo players this,that & the other & it's great to see the penny drop whenthey find that something they were struggling with, is suddenly right under their fingers. I was only passing on what others have done for me,as it should be,
Ivan;)

Willie Poole
Apr-12-2014, 1:12pm
Alan, If there ain`t at least three of us, I ain`t coming....

Timbofood
Apr-12-2014, 6:13pm
It is kind of interesting that people have apparently forgotten that they have ultimate censorship, turn the stupid TV show, radio show off! Leave a venue with music you don't like! We do not need more censorship than we wish to impose on ourselves, do we?
Not being political but gee, we should take a little personal responsibility.

allenhopkins
Apr-16-2014, 3:57pm
Well, guess I wouldn't tell a "volunteer critic" that I don't give a damn what he/she thinks, but I've been working on this stuff for 50 years now, and I pretty much understand what works and what doesn't, what my and my band's strengths and weaknesses are.

The attitude that goes with the criticism is "Now that I've told you what's wrong with your music, I'm sure you'll immediately change what you're doing, in line with my valuable opinion!"

Sorry, doesn't work that way. The banjo player is there because he/she plays the music the band likes, in a way the band approves. Incidentally, as judged by the band's success, most people in the audience like the music too. You, Mr/Ms Critic, are welcome to your opinion, but don't expect it to make us all jump up and salute.

Which is why the bands I'm in don't put me in charge of "customer relations."

CES
Apr-16-2014, 7:11pm
I've found that the biggest critics of music of almost any kind are folk who wouldn't know a banjo from a yo-yo !!. (NO jokes please !). Self appointed / annointed masters of completely b****R all,& i'm afraid i treat them as such. 99% of the time,musicians in all genres of music are doing their best,whether they're top flight players or not & they deserve respect. Over a 50 year period,i've seen some of the very best musicians from Folk / Bluegrass / Jazz / Blues & Classical music playing live. I've also seen newbies struggling to play pieces of music that they're still learning - all have my utmost respect. We all know how hard it was at first & we should be able to relate to these guys & gals, & far from dissing them,i feel that the folk on here would give as much encouragement as they could. Years back when i used to attend several of the Bluegrass festivals over here in the UK,i've literally spent hours showing newbie banjo players this,that & the other & it's great to see the penny drop whenthey find that something they were struggling with, is suddenly right under their fingers. I was only passing on what others have done for me,as it should be,
Ivan;)

Ivan,

Dude, that's awesome. Know that you're welcome at my campfire anytime!

Chuck