PDA

View Full Version : Banjo mandolin

Seppo
Apr-10-2014, 11:38am
Does anyone recognize this banjo mandolin?
There's a logo on the dowel stick and some text on the head as well.

allenhopkins
Apr-10-2014, 11:36pm
...There's a logo on the dowel stick and some text on the head as well…

Neither of which I can make out from the pics. What do they say?

Slotted headstock suggests European manufacture, which would make sense since you're in Finland...

Seppo
Apr-11-2014, 12:03am
This is for sale in Finland and those are the only photos available. I tried to zoom the logos but the photo size is so small that the details are unfortunately blurred.

I put it here to find out if somebody might recognize the instrument by looks. I may have to ask the seller for better information.

allenhopkins
Apr-11-2014, 10:34am
All I can say from a quick glance, is that it appears to have a large body, possibly close to 11 inches, which is unusual for a European-made instrument. And it needs a bridge.

For comparison, here's (http://antebelluminstruments.blogspot.com/2012/05/c1960-east-german-marma-banjo-mandolin.html) an East German-made mandolin banjo. As you see, it also has a slotted headstock, but the shell's appreciably smaller.

Good move to get more info from the seller.

Seppo
Apr-12-2014, 5:00am
The seller says:" I can't remember what the logo is since I've sold it 2 days ago."
Did not remove the ad though...
Well, I'm not crazy about banjo-mandolin hybrids anyway. I thought the rim might have been good for a 5 string banjo.
Thanks for help you all

allenhopkins
Apr-12-2014, 11:57am
...I thought the rim might have been good for a 5 string banjo...

Yeah, it definitely had a larger-than-usual body for a mandolin banjo. And, your opinion of these instruments is generally shared, which is why they're hardly made any more.