PDA

View Full Version : Pick Thickness

AeroJoe
Mar-07-2005, 3:09pm
I keep on file, people's preferences of their favorite plastic picks when they ask me to duplicate them in shell...for most, I keep an example of these plastic picks taped on a "3 X "5 card to use as reference. I picked up a handful of Fender Extra Heavys at a local music store last week, as my reference picks were beginning to show wear from tracing, etc. I noticed that some of these looked thicker than others, although they were ALL labeled "Fender Extra Heavy"...

I got them home and discovered, that despite all being labeled "Fender Extra Heavy", some were *OVER* 1/32 of an inch thicker than others!!!...this may not seem alot, but I know there are those of you out there that can feel such a difference. I certainly can.
My point...those of you that prefer plastic picks and have a specific thickness that is perfect for you, get a handful of them and double check them if you want the ones that meet your specific requirements. I think Sam Bush uses a .96 D'Andrea...I have no doubt he'd sound great with the edge of a cut up credit card. But if you have a specific preference as to an exact thickness like he does, make sure you are getting that exact thickness that is perfect for YOU when you go buy your picks, even if the pick already has it's thickness either stated ("extra heavy") or, like some, stamped on one side with it's thickness in "millimeters". Hope this helps...