PDA

View Full Version : 1985 Flatiron A5 Artist Woes

tiggyboo
Apr-01-2014, 12:08pm
I found myself having neglected my mandolin for several months and thought I'd put things right by installing a new set of strings. For whatever reason I took them all off, maybe thinking I'd give the fretboard a little TLC - and I was shocked when the bridge fell off. Luckily I could see where it was previously based on a little variation in the finish, so I did my best to piece it back together and put the strings on. I was horrified to find that the tuning was completely wacked - i.e., tuning each string individually did not result in them sounding correct relative to one another... and as I moved up the neck, the effect became horribly pronounced. Then I took a look at the bridge from a profile view and saw that one side was raised off of the top. I loosened the strings and thought I should consult this group. Does this sound like work for a luthier, or is it within reason to attempt a fix with the truss rod, and maybe more carefully replacing the bridge?

If a luthier is called for, can I ship it back to Flatiron in Montana?

Thanks in advance!
Al

Capt. E
Apr-01-2014, 12:24pm
Your bridge is out of position and the intonation is off as a result.
In general, the distance from the nut to the 12th fret should be the same as the distance from the 12th fret to the bridge. For a primer on tuning etc see this : http://www.mandolincafe.com/tuning.html
Setting your intonation and proper positioning of the bridge is something you need to learn to do yourself. If you string up only the G and E strings, you can get the proper position for each one set more easily. Don't tune each string up all the way, but perhaps tune the E to A and the G to C and you can slide the bridge if necessary. Tune with the string unfretted and then fret at the 12th. If the note fretted at the 12th is flat, you need to move the bridge closer to the fretboard, If the note is sharp, it needs to be moved towards the tailpiece. The bridge will most likely be angled a bit with the E string end closer to the fretboard. Here is another little video explaining it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VNsf8SxgoMY

fatt-dad
Apr-01-2014, 12:32pm
also, make sure you put the saddle on the bridge correctly. Nothing worse than having the thin strings sitting in a heavy slot, or vice versa.

I guess I should also add, the bridge was sanded to the shape of the carved top at the onset. So, there's only one way that the bridge should "fit" on the mandolin. So, you have north and south on the bridge and north and south on the saddle. Then you have a bit of east and west to get intonation.

Then again, your compass may have north going a different direction. . .

f-d

billhay4
Apr-01-2014, 1:08pm
You were "shocked" when the bridge fell off? Why? Mandolin bridges are not glued to the top (with a very few exceptions).
Bill

tiggyboo
Apr-06-2014, 2:52pm
Thanks everyone - I'll give it a shot. For general string replacement, then, is it a better practice to not remove all the strings to the bridge doesn't have to be messed with?

You were "shocked" when the bridge fell off? Why? Mandolin bridges are not glued to the top (with a very few exceptions).
Bill

Just shocked initially because I hadn't had all the strings off in the past. I put two and two together on the bridge being unglued in pretty short order :-)

Thanks again,
Al

George R. Lane
Apr-06-2014, 3:19pm
Al,
Just to let you know, Flatiron is no longer in Montana. Gibson bought them out back I think in the 90's. they were being made in China, but I don't know if they are still in existence.

Timbofood
Apr-06-2014, 4:16pm
Al, don't worry about it, this is the place where you will end up learning so much more than you ever expected, give it time.
You may get a little ribbing from time to time but, lots of information.

tiggyboo
Apr-07-2014, 10:30am
Al, don't worry about it, this is the place where you will end up learning so much more than you ever expected, give it time.
You may get a little ribbing from time to time but, lots of information.

No problem with the ribbing :-) I sure appreciate the opportunity to learn!
Al

Petrus
Apr-09-2014, 6:33am
Don't let the ribbing get you all bent out of shape. :cool:

Timbofood
Apr-09-2014, 7:48am
Don't let the ribbing get you all bent out of shape. :cool:

Especially funny given your bowlbacked avatar!
Good not petrus!