PDA

View Full Version : Getting ready for St. Patrick's day session

paulsb
Mar-25-2014, 7:58am
117241 117242

A picture of my instruments before a St. Patrick's day session we led in Riga, Latvia.
The mandolin was made in 1973,in the depths of the Soviet Union. It originally cost 6 rubles. It has all the great hallmarks of Soviet construction: plywood back, bad fake veneer on toP of that. But it has a better sound than my Hora mandolin from Romania. Both were purchased through the Latvian version of Ebay. (SS.lv) Each was 50 lats~100usd.
I just purchased an Eastman 404md mandolin- will post picture later today.
The octave mandolin is an APC mandolin manufactured in Portugal. I purchased it through Moloney's music in Galway, Ireland. Kieran did a great job setting it up for me and was a pleasure to do business with.
The six string banjo is a Barnes&Mullins manufactured in the U.K.. I purchased it when time was short and we needed a new sound to compliment the guitar for a Burns night gig. it cost 120lats~240 usd. it was also purchased through the Latvian Ebay sight.
The guitar is a Yamaha acoustic about 20 years old. It has a great warm sound.

Now if only I could do justice playing any of them. :)

mu1tom
Mar-25-2014, 9:46am
You play fine...I was the guy seated next to you, remember?

I will have to say that the Soviet era mando sounds surprisingly good. Other than the jinky, weird machines, it is pretty solid.

Nice to see you around here...

mu1tom
Mar-25-2014, 9:50am
Hey...you forgot to mention the beer!

paulsb
Mar-25-2014, 10:29am
Guinness brewed in Ireland. Price 2 euros a pint. Served a little too cold for my liking.