PDA

View Full Version : recent experiences with Fishman Loudbox Artist and AI CODA S4

chuck3
Mar-23-2014, 11:15pm
These are both very good little amps. They both are two-channel amps with effects available on both channels. I recommend them both.

The Fishman is about half the price of the AI Coda, but since the Coda is also a bass amp, that has value for me because I play both upright bass and mandolin.

That said - and I checked with Fishman before doing this - besides being a great mando amp, the Fishman Loudbox Artist handled the upright bass OK, at a small venue gig with no FOH support. Probably of no interest to most of you.

Tonight I did a larger gig with the AI Coda handling both upright and mando, using its DI out into the FOH with the combo speaker just acting as a monitor. Excellent.

This was with a Collings oval-hole, A style with a built-in pickup.

So - both amps recommended, but for mando only I'd go with the Fishman as it's cheaper, lighter and very full featured.

dhbailey
Mar-24-2014, 5:12am
Thank you for that comparison -- I have another question regarding the Fishman. My wife plays violin and we bought her a strap-on pickup called "The Band" which does an excellent job as a pickup. I have an Epiphone mandolin with the pickup built into the pickguard (I'm new to playing the mandolin which is why I haven't sprung for a handmade Girouard mando yet!). Do you think the Fishman would do a good job as an amplifier for us both to plug into?

Tim2723
Mar-24-2014, 10:06am
Thanks for the review. Over the St. Patrick's weekend I ran into a duo using the Fishman as a makeshift monitor. They are a young group just starting out and have to cobble together their equipment as we all did in the beginning, but the Fishman served very well as a monitor. It's a handly little amp!

Mark Seale
Mar-28-2014, 9:48am
I use the Acoustic Image Corus for mandolin and fiddle. I haven't found a more transparent, accurate amplifier for my instruments. To my ear, the Fishman had a slightly compressed sound compared to the AI. My setup is DPA4099 directly into the AI, sometimes a Shure Beta57. I've also run voice through it for some small venue gigs. I really can't recommend the AI enough.

Mark Seale
Mar-28-2014, 9:54am
Also, the head unit on the AI can be removed or daisy chained to other speaker enclosures if you need more on-stage volume or different speaker voicing.

chuck3
Mar-31-2014, 7:31pm
Thank you for that comparison -- I have another question regarding the Fishman. My wife plays violin and we bought her a strap-on pickup called "The Band" which does an excellent job as a pickup. I have an Epiphone mandolin with the pickup built into the pickguard (I'm new to playing the mandolin which is why I haven't sprung for a handmade Girouard mando yet!). Do you think the Fishman would do a good job as an amplifier for us both to plug into?

sorry for the delay in responding - yes, that is exactly what the Fishman would be good at. Neither channel is designated as "mic" with the other being "instrument" - they are identical channels for either instruments or mics. The speaker size would also be appropriate for both those instruments.

chuck3
Mar-31-2014, 7:34pm
I use the Acoustic Image Corus for mandolin and fiddle. I haven't found a more transparent, accurate amplifier for my instruments. To my ear, the Fishman had a slightly compressed sound compared to the AI. My setup is DPA4099 directly into the AI, sometimes a Shure Beta57. I've also run voice through it for some small venue gigs. I really can't recommend the AI enough.

yes, the AI is great. It's really a trade-off involving price though, given the substantial difference. The AI is also heavier, but the footprint of the two amps is about the same.