PDA

View Full Version : Mandolins around Asheville - A report

David Smith
Mar-23-2014, 12:31pm
I just returned from a week's stay near Asheville and spent a good bit of time on a mando quest. I amazes me that Asheville is ground zero for so many great acoustic musicians and bands but does not have a retail site with a substantial selection of instruments....particularly mandolins. However, that does not mean they are not there; you just have to know where to look.

My first stop was to Fiddle and Fret just south of Asheville in Fairview, N.C. and Danny Bishop is the man. At one time, Danny owned Bluegrass Experience which was Asheville's principal outlet for quality acoustic instruments, but a few years of endless hours and sleepless nights prompted Danny to sell the business (now defunct) and open Fiddle and Fret in his shop at home. Danny was kind enough to host me for two hours one afternoon and let me play some fantastic mandolins he has on hand: Faltbush F5, V5 and V4, Collings MT and MF, Pava, Randy Wood F5, Fletcher Brock F5, and his personal Ellis F5. I had never had so many great instruments at my disposal, and Danny was the perfect host. We played and talked the afternoon away which kept him from his work bench and what appeared to be a truckload of repair and set up work. Yet he never rushed me or made me feel like I was being a pest. My personal favorites were the Flatbush F5, Collings MF (she was a blonde!) and the Pava...in particular the MF. I left my Northfield F5S with Danny for a fret dress and some adjusting which was done to perfection.

The next day I traveled to visit Walter Johnson, maker of June mandolins and guitars, at his shop in Campobello, S.C. about an hour south of Asheville. This visit too lasted a couple hours and Walter could not have been more gracious. I was very interested in his building philosophy, materials, and goals. Walter was able to articulate everything with great clarity and obvious passion for the work. He had two mandolins on hand, June #1 and June #45 (currently listed in the Cafe classifieds). After spending so much time the previous day with some fantastic instruments, I was not sure a June mandolin could match up. My uncertainty was immediately abated! June #45 was a gem to play and hear. The highs rang like and bell, the mids were resonant, and the lows rich. There was something about June #45 that was comfortable and warm. While Walter and I talked I found myself enjoying just holding the instrument, playing was a bonus. If anyone is interested in a fantastic instrument at a fair price June #45 would be a good buy (nfi).

So, the next time you are in the Asheville area, I would suggest making a stop at Fiddle and Fret and taking a trip to Walter Johnson's June mandolin shop in Campobello, S.C. You might find yourself satisfying a long standing case of MAS.

darylcrisp
Mar-23-2014, 1:13pm
David
sent you a PM

d

David Smith
Mar-23-2014, 4:19pm
Daryl,
Replied to your PM.
D

Carolina Bluegrass
Mar-23-2014, 7:56pm
Another David here. Good place to make my first post. I'm from Greenville, SC and I used to deliver office supplies all over the Asheville area. If you would have made a quick trip over to black mountain, there are a couple of acoustic only dealers that carry mandolins. By the way I'm a long time guitar player and just bought my first mandolin 2 days ago. The Loar 600

David Smith
Mar-23-2014, 8:10pm
I did go to Acoustic Corner in Black Mountain, but their stock of mandolins was a bit low, the best of the bunch being an Eastman 315. I also tried to check out Bluegrass Station in Weaverville, but they were closed for the week. You will enjoy the Loar...welcome to the madness.

Marvino
Mar-23-2014, 9:35pm
Too late now but a good stop is "Harry and Jeanie West Music" in Statesville, N.C.

David Smith
Mar-23-2014, 9:54pm
It's on the list for the next time!

CES
Mar-23-2014, 10:27pm
Too late now but a good stop is "Harry and Jeanie West Music" in Statesville, N.C.

Agree...had a great time sampling mandolins, guitars, and banjos there in 2012. Great supply of Martin guitars, and got to sample Bovier, Kentucky, and Eastman mandos alongside some older Gibsons, Shue, and some others I can't remember. Also got to "play" a banjo cello. most impressive instrument from my visit was a Deering Sierra, followed by a Bovier F style and a Loar 700. Ended up going back to buy a guitar the last time I was looking. Wonder how the place will change now that Harry's gone...need to make another visit...of course, it's a couple hours for Asheville. Want to get to James Condino's shop at some point as well.

CES
Mar-23-2014, 10:46pm

Agree...had a great time sampling mandolins, guitars, and banjos there in 2012. Great supply of Martin guitars, and got to sample Bovier, Kentucky, and Eastman mandos alongside some older Gibsons, Shue, and some others I can't remember. Also got to "play" a banjo cello. most impressive instrument from my visit was a Deering Sierra, followed by a Bovier F style and a Loar 700. Ended up going back to buy a guitar the last time I was looking. Wonder how the place will change now that Harry's gone...need to make another visit...of course, it's a couple hours for Asheville. Want to get to James Condino's shop at some point as well.

Richard58
Mar-23-2014, 11:10pm

Harry West just passed away a few weeks ago but I'm sure the family will continue the business. Call first ..

Drew Egerton
May-07-2014, 3:15pm
I got hooked up with Danny Bishop about 7 years ago or so and bought a Flatbush V4 from him. It was out of my price range at the time but it killed a couple of others there that I picked up so I had to have it. He was generous to let me sit and play a variety of stuff and helped me find some decent picks as well. It's a nice shop that you'd never know existed unless you are "in the know". I forget how I even found out.

Sorry to hear about Harry. I stopped in there a couple of times about a year ago and saw them. Super nice folks and did a good job on getting the intonation on my Flatbush back in check and frets filed.

j. condino
May-08-2014, 10:02pm
Danny is a great fellow. From the absence in your desciption, you also missed out on several other places in town that always have a bunch of cool instruments with an everchanging inventory!;););)

j.
www.condino.com
www.kaybassrepair.com

David Smith
May-09-2014, 6:02am
Danny is a great fellow. From the absence in your desciption, you also missed out on several other places in town that always have a bunch of cool instruments with an everchanging inventory!;););)
j.
www.condino.com
www.kaybassrepair.com

Do Tell! What might those places be?

Astro
May-09-2014, 6:06am
How come you have to know the secret handshake to try out a few mandolins in this world ?

David Smith
May-09-2014, 7:14am
The few the proud....we search. A secret society known by calluses with double string indentations.

Steve Sorensen
May-10-2014, 12:48am
The web pages in James' note may have been a hint . . . Just listen for the sweet sound of Crickets!

Steve

j. condino
May-11-2014, 1:40pm
Well....Lynn Dudenbostel is just down the road, skip Kelly is nearby, Bob Gernandt is in Bryson city, there are sevreal young guys building close by. The guitar options are huge- Brad Nickerson is in town, Jack Bogdonavich is here, Ken Jones, Larry Brown, The guys over in Pigeon Forge, The Parlor in Knoxville, Dream Guitars is 10 minutes away in Weaverville and they usualy have mandolins, bouzoukis, citterns, mandocellos- the inventory of 300-500 instruments changes daily. John Arnold is probably the best vintage Martin guy in the US - he's on the way to Lynn's.

...and you drove past my place on the way to Danny's. That is just the quick starter list!

j.
www.condino.com