PDA

View Full Version : All you mando pickers can make fun of me now

Cue Zephyr
Mar-20-2014, 5:37pm
Howdy folks,

Some of you might already know why.

For those that don't - proud owner of a banjo as of today.

http://distilleryimage11.ak.instagram.com/020b603ab06311e3be060ed4a55bf507_8.jpg

Let's see what y'all come up with... :grin:

CZ

DataNick
Mar-20-2014, 5:46pm
I own and play one myself....though I try not to admit it in respectable places...

Nevin
Mar-20-2014, 5:52pm
I have only fooled around with one a few times but it was fun. No shame in any instrument.

Steve Zawacki
Mar-20-2014, 6:23pm
Enjoy!

CES
Mar-20-2014, 6:38pm
You'll be losing your teeth by next month. And wearing overhauls, but not sound as good as Compton. And, your IQ just dropped by about 100 points. Which still makes you smarter than me, because I've been annoying my family with one since 2004 ;)

(As evidenced by my grammar in this post).

OldSausage
Mar-20-2014, 6:50pm
Nice strings

Bill Baldridge
Mar-20-2014, 6:58pm
Nice color

Steve Lavelle
Mar-20-2014, 6:59pm
At least it's not like that guitjo that TS plays:grin:
Make, Model?
Banjo was my first instrument, I got a plastic body Harmony 6 str in '73. Stepped up to a Epiphone MB-250 about 20 years ago (about the same time I bought my Flatiron Performer F), and I bought an open back Goldtone about 8 yrs ago that I keep Floyd County, VA for my visits there each year. Get the Pete Seeger book if you've never played before.

Mark Wilson
Mar-20-2014, 7:09pm
Congrats!

The quintessential Banjo 101 (http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/showthread.php?11594-Is-it-just-me-or-is-a-Banjo-an-obnoxious-sounding)

Michael Bridges
Mar-20-2014, 7:49pm
Absolutely nothing to be ashamed of, owning a banjo!............................................ .................................................. .......................Taking it out of the case and playing it, however........................................... ...............................

Ivan Kelsall
Mar-21-2014, 2:13am
As i've often pointed out on here for all those 'banjo burners',it was Earl Scruggs' banjo picking that got Bluegrass off the ground.It was due to Earl's popularity that Bill Monroe himself came to the attention of more of the Country Music fans.
What make & model is it ?. The fingerboard inlay is identical to the pre-Mastertone Gibson that pete Wernick plays - a nice banjo,;)
Ivan

Susan H.
Mar-21-2014, 3:34am
I own a Stelling Bellflower. I don't play it as much as my mandolin...but I do own one.

UsuallyPickin
Mar-21-2014, 5:43am
Well ... ummmm ...My name is Richard and I've been associated with banjo for thirty-five years .... it's nothing serious ... but .. ummm I think they're a lot of fun .... R/

derbex
Mar-21-2014, 6:46am
Welcome to the dark side, but what's that funny short extra string for :disbelief:

FLATROCK HILL
Mar-21-2014, 7:09am
Congrats.

I've never touched one myself. I know a guy though...he lives on the other end of town, across the tracks...he's got one.
He offered to let me try it.
I'll admit, I've been tempted.
I think of my family though...what it would do to my dear old mother...and I walk away.

Carl Robin
Mar-21-2014, 7:20am
It's a beauty. Enjoy.

Bertram Henze
Mar-21-2014, 7:26am
Since you asked for it: :)):)):))

Petrus
Mar-21-2014, 7:43am
Nice plush case. My cat would totally take a nap in there.

Charley wild
Mar-21-2014, 7:46am
Love the instrument! I played one for years and only quit because of medical issues. Banjos are fun to play! I never minded practicing the banjo. Have fun!:)

John Flynn
Mar-21-2014, 8:15am
If you hang a banjo capo from your rearview mirror, it's the equivalent of a Disabled Parking Badge. You can park in the handicapped spots! ;)

Cue Zephyr
Mar-21-2014, 8:17am
Thanks everybody, yes she sure is a beauty. It's a Recording King RK-R36. Through reading it appears to be based upon the Gibson RB-3. Recording King copies many iconic models of various instruments from various brands like Gibson, Martin and National.

I almost purchased a banjo before the mandolin. In the end it took me three years after getting my mandolin to get one.

I was expecting a stream of banjo jokes, by the way :grin:

Absolutely nothing to be ashamed of, owning a banjo!............................................ .................................................. .......................Taking it out of the case and playing it, however........................................... ...............................
Play it in the case. :whistling:

Freddyfingers
Mar-21-2014, 8:22am
I got one as well. Bought it in the mid 80's. A beginner model. But, bury it in the sand for 30 years, and now its worth about 20 dollars more! Every now and then, I go to the local shop and they have a Sterling in there. It weighs about 4 times what koine weighs. Plays great. But I keep thinking of the looks I get now when I wonder around the house noodling on the mandolin. Their might be an intervention.

Congrats on the find!

Rodney Riley
Mar-21-2014, 9:15am
:)) 117048 Use the mute!!!!!! :))

Denny Gies
Mar-21-2014, 9:39am
I don't get it. Is it the case we should be hating on?

catmandu2
Mar-21-2014, 9:44am
That's a serious bluegrass machine.

If/when--after a few years of picking rolls--you become disillusioned with the BG banjo idiom...remove the resonator, the picks, and play that bum-kitty (er, ditty)

(from a reformed banjo-holic)

Shelagh Moore
Mar-21-2014, 9:46am
It keeps them from falling into the hands of the general public where they could be more dangerous...

(I own one too)

Steve Ostrander
Mar-21-2014, 11:26am
Five advantages of a banjo over a mandolin:
5. You can use a capo
4. Less strings to go out of tune
3. You don't have to buy a thirty-dollar pick
2. You won't have to post to this forum and ask how to get more volume
1. If you have a party and things get out of hand, you can clear the room in about thirty seconds

padawan
Mar-21-2014, 12:11pm
That's a nice little bluegrass lollipop you have there. Congrats!

I also played around with one for a while ...until the fella who had loaned it to me heard the sounds I was making with it and took it back. He said something about it would sound better tumbling in a cement mixer than in my hands. :redface:

I wish you luck with it and hope your foray into banjo"-ing" goes much better than mine did.

roysboy
Mar-21-2014, 1:31pm
It's very ....round ..isn't it ?
I have a friend who plays banjo . Well ...I HAD a friend who plays banjo.

Kidding aside ...may the force be with you ...

Cecily_Mandoliner
Mar-21-2014, 2:18pm
Congratulations! It is a beauty!
Have fun with it!
I own a five-string banjo, but for the most part, it is my hat rack. I just can't seem to get the hang of claw hammer playing, and my arm gets fatigued when I fret...
I recently bought an Irish Tenor Banjo, which is tuned like a mandolin but an octave lower and has a shorter fretboard. And you play it with a little itty-bitty teardrop pick! I have it out of the case a lot because it is fun to play - I know the chords and can pick songs easily.
But, I do enjoy the 5-string sound. I just bought the Pete Seeger book, so maybe this summer I will learn!

My only Banjo Joke: Two SCUBA divers are checking out a reef, and find an underwater valley filled with banjos. The one says to the other, "What do you call this??" His fried replies, "I call it a good start!"
:grin:

Cue Zephyr
Mar-22-2014, 1:18pm
Y'all crack me up, I love those jokes, doesn't matter that I play one myself! :))

Have fun with it!
I own a five-string banjo, but for the most part, it is my hat rack. I just can't seem to get the hang of claw hammer playing, and my arm gets fatigued when I fret...
I recently bought an Irish Tenor Banjo, which is tuned like a mandolin but an octave lower and has a shorter fretboard. And you play it with a little itty-bitty teardrop pick! I have it out of the case a lot because it is fun to play - I know the chords and can pick songs easily.
But, I do enjoy the 5-string sound. I just bought the Pete Seeger book, so maybe this summer I will learn!

My shoulder gets tired, but it's already better than when I started 2 days ago. My shoulder isn't used to having to keep the arm a foot higher than I usually do.

I don't really 'get' clawhammer, but I haven't taken the time to study it as I have done with the three-finger Scruggs style long before I purchased the banjo.

Good luck with learning this summer. :)

Jim
Mar-22-2014, 1:43pm
It's been 2 days , How many teeth ya got left?:disbelief:

Ron Cox
Mar-22-2014, 2:05pm
One word:

Banjolin

Elliot Luber
Mar-22-2014, 2:13pm
There/s no shame to owning a banjo. Just wouldn't be caught dead in public with one. :)
http://doodoowah.com/BanjoPlayersAnon.htm

John Ritchhart
Mar-22-2014, 3:12pm
It sounds good in the picture.

dusty miller
Mar-22-2014, 6:41pm
Clawhammer is A LOT of fun. Looks nice, have fun with it

Cue Zephyr
Mar-22-2014, 7:03pm
Y'all crack me up, I love those jokes, doesn't matter that I play one myself! :))

Have fun with it!

My shoulder gets tired, but it's already better than when I started 2 days ago. My shoulder isn't used to having to keep the arm a foot higher than I usually do.

I don't really 'get' (i.e. understanding it's mechanics and nature) clawhammer, but I haven't taken the time to study it as I have done with the three-finger Scruggs style long before I purchased the banjo. It's a lot more straight forward for me since I'm not new to using fingers to pick strings and neither is the thumb pick. The fingerpicks seemed a little daunting at first, since I wouldn't be able to feel the string, but I put them on and just ran with it.

Good luck with learning this summer. :)

Ivan Kelsall
Mar-23-2014, 4:09am
Mandolin mute :-
117135 Ivan:grin:

Steve Zawacki
Mar-23-2014, 8:07am
My shoulder gets tired, but it's already better than when I started 2 days ago........I don't really 'get' clawhammer.

Perhaps you are swinging the clawhammer too hard..... Banjos don't last too long that way.

ollaimh
Mar-23-2014, 9:51am
all banjo jokes aside, there are some great banjo tunes out there, and nuthin' captures a certain rolling rhythm better than a 5 string banjo

Tezzerh
Mar-23-2014, 10:05am
I had to get rid of my banjo - my wife said it was so b----y loud! She loves my mandolin, though.... I think.

derbex
Mar-23-2014, 11:22am
I had to get rid of my banjo - my wife said it was so b----y loud! She loves my mandolin, though.... I think.

It wasn't loud enough -you could still hear her telling you to get rid of it :grin:

Cue Zephyr
Mar-23-2014, 12:09pm
It wasn't loud enough -you could still hear her telling you to get rid of it :grin:
While I play, I can hear when somebody's talking to me. What exactly is being said, I don't know. Banjos don't have a dim or mute switch. :grin:

Oh no, it's starting already... :))

Cue Zephyr
Mar-24-2014, 2:59pm
Here's what she sounds like: http://www.banjohangout.org/myhangout/media-player/audio_player2.asp?musicid=33608&archived=

Bertram Henze
Mar-24-2014, 3:22pm
Here's what she sounds like

"she". Aha.
Sorry Taylor, something's taken your place...

Cue Zephyr
Mar-24-2014, 3:58pm
"she". Aha.
Sorry Taylor, something's taken your place...
Right. How did you know I have a Taylor?

Cecily_Mandoliner
Mar-24-2014, 4:06pm
While I play, I can hear when somebody's talking to me. What exactly is being said, I don't know. Banjos don't have a dim or mute switch. :grin:

Oh no, it's starting already... :))
I put a tee-shirt between the truss bar and the skin (in the "pot"). Mine has a resonator, but when I take it off, it's uncomfortable to hold in my lap, so the tee-shirt make it possible for me to play it in the house. Normally, though, I practice on the porch. :-)

DHopkins
Mar-24-2014, 7:34pm
Do you know what drummers and banjo pickers have in common? They like to hang around with musicians.

Having said that, I love to hear a good banjo. One of my favorites is Jim Mills.

Rodney Riley
Mar-24-2014, 7:46pm
Right. How did you know I have a Taylor?
Think he's talking about Swift. :)) you've replaced that Taylor with a new love.

Greg H.
Mar-24-2014, 8:46pm
Five advantages of a banjo over a mandolin:
5. You can use a capo
4. Less strings to go out of tune
3. You don't have to buy a thirty-dollar pick
2. You won't have to post to this forum and ask how to get more volume
1. If you have a party and things get out of hand, you can clear the room in about thirty seconds

5. mandolin CAN have a capo....we just aren't as ready to admit it.
4. True enough.
3. BC makes thumb picks as well. So that can be just as expensive.
2. Both of my best mandolins can hold their own with most any banjo.
1. admittedly...it would take a banjo to empty the party.

Cue Zephyr
Mar-24-2014, 9:25pm
I put a tee-shirt between the truss bar and the skin (in the "pot"). Mine has a resonator, but when I take it off, it's uncomfortable to hold in my lap, so the tee-shirt make it possible for me to play it in the house. Normally, though, I practice on the porch. :-)
Therés also this banjo mute made by Gold Tone (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nKbj2pun1sI).

Think he's talking about Swift. :)) you've replaced that Taylor with a new love.
I can play Swift on a banjo. Or at least some of them I think. Most likely, a few of them will be well-played guitar banjos.

5. mandolin CAN have a capo....we just aren't as ready to admit it.
3. BC makes thumb picks as well. So that can be just as expensive.
Funny. I was checking out the BC website, looking at the picks I might want to try (probably the CT55 and TAD60). I found out that they not only have thumb picks, but also finger picks.

So yes, that can get quite expensive quite quickly as well. :)

J.Albert
Mar-25-2014, 5:41pm
[[ Here's what she sounds like:
http://www.banjohangout.org/myhangou...3608&archived= ]]

Sounds very good, even for a "new out of the box" banjo.

Should sound even better after the parts settle in together as time goes by.

journeybear
Mar-25-2014, 5:48pm
What do you mean, "now?" Weren't they making fun of you already? :confused:

stevedenver
Mar-26-2014, 10:57am
congrats!!

I've been thinking a lot about getting one lately too.

I enjoy open g on guitar and other open tunings too,
and I do a bit of clawhammer on guitar, as well as rolls to imitate Scruggs on guitar
and I even strung one guitar up Nashville (top end strings of twelve string set) with a b bender and im finding I have a lot of fun.

So I was thinking I really ought to make the purchase.

But, other than Bela, what are the musical realms of banjo-old time and blue grass and I guess Dixie land as well for four stringers
somehow I cant see playing Bach or Brubeck, or can I?

catmandu2
Mar-26-2014, 11:29am
But, other than Bela, what are the musical realms of banjo-old time and blue grass and I guess Dixie land as well for four stringers
somehow I cant see playing Bach or Brubeck, or can I?

I started with Scruggs-style when I was 16 years old (with the advent of disco), and after a few years entirely quit banjo--too much BG. Some decades later--after exposure to "old-time" music--became a frailier: one of my favorites was the round-peak style, and subsequently went crazy for fretless banjos in all varieties for some years (and also every other kind of banjo--but that's another story). These days--with so many other pursuits--about the only time I pull out the banjer is to play Joplin and rags in the "classic" style (early 20th C "parlor," etc): the plucky bum-ditty is a fun'n, but I like to use my banjo like a folksy classical guitar. My favorite is still the nylon-strung jo

The Mike Seeger video series "Southern Style Banjo" is great for fueling the addiction. Check out Bela's "Throw Down Your Heart" for further banjo excursions. These of course are going "back" and exploiting the roots of banjo. But I'm not a banjo futurist either

Banjo is the tinkerer's dream instrument--very easy to modify, set-up, refurbish, etc

journeybear
Mar-26-2014, 6:38pm
It is my strong personal belief that what one plays on an instrument is not limited to generally accepted expectations, whatever they may be. That is, just because one plays a mandolin, one shouldn't be limited to playing only what is generally considered acceptable or appropriate for it - genres including bluegrass, country, and Italian folk music for instance. I believe that if you want to play whatever music moves you, and you have chosen to play this instrument or that, then do so,even if this means venturing outside of the realm of convention for both the genres of music you like and the instrument you have in your hand. So, silly me, playing rock and blues and now swing on a mandolin. Love it! :mandosmiley:

Same goes for banjo, I reckon. The instrument may have a harder row to hoe, being so indelibly paired in so many people's minds with bluegrass,country, and in an earlier day, ragtime.But other genres are possible, as Bela has proven; it just may take some doing to get there. That said, I sure do wish the banjo player in my swing-folk-jug band would put his Berklee training to work and find ways to play the instrument that sound like more than just grafting bluegrass rolls to whatever genre we happen to be in at the moment. Having chops is all good and well, but if they aren't in the service of the song one is playing, they're not working.

Hope there's something in there that helps you in your quest! :grin:

Cue Zephyr
Mar-26-2014, 8:02pm
What do you mean, "now?" Weren't they making fun of you already? :confused:
Um... oops. Yes, they were. :grin:

congrats!!

I've been thinking a lot about getting one lately too.

I enjoy open g on guitar and other open tunings too,
and I do a bit of clawhammer on guitar, as well as rolls to imitate Scruggs on guitar
and I even strung one guitar up Nashville (top end strings of twelve string set) with a b bender and im finding I have a lot of fun.

So I was thinking I really ought to make the purchase.
Thanks!

Yes, definitely get yourself a banjo!

I recently learned that 'Nashville' tuning is just using an octave G string. What you describe appears to be simply called 'high-strung' tuning. I use it too, on a travel guitar of mine. Great for recording.

Same goes for banjo, I reckon. The instrument may have a harder row to hoe, being so indelibly paired in so many people's minds with bluegrass,country, and in an earlier day, ragtime.But other genres are possible, as Bela has proven; it just may take some doing to get there. That said, I sure do wish the banjo player in my swing-folk-jug band would put his Berklee training to work and find ways to play the instrument that sound like more than just grafting bluegrass rolls to whatever genre we happen to be in at the moment. Having chops is all good and well, but if they aren't in the service of the song one is playing, they're not working.

Hope there's something in there that helps you in your quest! :grin:
Béla is one of my favorites. I should learn more about his music though.

Anyhow, I'd be one to throw rolls at anything that's thrown towards me. It's not that I don't want to learn or try something new, I just like what rolls do to the rhythm. :)

catmandu2
Mar-26-2014, 9:05pm
It is my strong personal belief that what one plays on an instrument is not limited to generally accepted expectations, whatever they may be...

That said, I sure do wish the banjo player in my swing-folk-jug band would put his Berklee training to work and find ways to play the instrument that sound like more than just grafting bluegrass rolls to whatever genre we happen to be in at the moment. Having chops is all good and well, but if they aren't in the service of the song one is playing, they're not working.

There’s your trouble with the banjo: it’s such an idiomatic instrument—does quite well, with its special attributes, in its niche roles (pardon the pun). I find Bela’s excursion into Africa fascinating: hearing the modern BG banjo juxtaposed with the earthy indigenous instruments—its voice is so thin, mechanical

Melodic approaches certainly make the most of it—but it is (still) a banjo. (My own solution to the twang problem is to string with low-tuned gut-emulating strings, etc)

catmandu2
Mar-26-2014, 9:06pm
Anyhow, I'd be one to throw rolls at anything that's thrown towards me. It's not that I don't want to learn or try something new, I just like what rolls do to the rhythm. :)

Well it's what the banjo does best ;)

Cue Zephyr
Mar-27-2014, 6:37am
I agree, although I think clawhammer is pretty cool too. Having said that, I aspire to become proficient at the Scruggs style.

journeybear
Mar-27-2014, 8:18am

Yeah, I suppose so. I guess I just wonder whether its sound can be pried loose of listener's expectations enough to be used in unconventional ways and genres. Bela is best at this, but what he and The Flecktones do is so unlike what anyone else does with the instrument they have created what is essentially a whole new genre, of which he is the only practitioner. If anyone else plays banjo is some way similar they are bound to be called derivative. I prefer to believe one can find ways to play almost any kind of music on almost any instrument. I suppose Bach on bagpipes might be a bit of s stretch, though ...

I'd like to see and hear people defy convention and push the envelope with it, something similar to how the ukulele has made its way into the pop and rock worlds over the last several years. It fits into those genres without taking the songs it's been used in into hula land. And some people have done some really astounding things with it, Jake Shimabakura and others. It can be done.

Of course, my main interest is in seeing the mandolin's versatility be explored and accepted more than it is. The banjos and ukes will do fine one way or another in the hands of others. I want the mandolin to be restored to its former glory, and even further, to reclaim the throne in its rightful role of King Of The Instruments. All in good time ... :mandosmiley:

catmandu2
Mar-27-2014, 8:30am
I agree, although I think clawhammer is pretty cool too. Having said that, I aspire to become proficient at the Scruggs style.

The rhythmic device is the banjo's specialty. Tonally, it's essentially a drum with strings. For me, this is why the banjo has limited efficacy. I love Bela, and I appreciate all the musical innovation, but I don't listen to the banjo deployed in bebop or Bach--it's just not a sound I enjoy. We can expand the voice of our instruments with electricity, but then it's a bit like anything goes...we can emulate a sitar with our banjos, or Roland accordians, etc. I'm sure I'm missing something interesting in this exploit, in the flecktones--my interest is in the deployment of acoustic instruments, by and large

It was interesting to hear one of the West African players say that they could do what Bela does--on their akonting or ngoni. They could be meaning a variety of things--difficult to imagine that they could be referring to the technical and melodic accomplishment that Bela exhibits, but perhaps they're addressing the essence of musicality, or rhythm, or the efficacy of the instrument in their conception, etc.--no doubt the experience of playing with a "jazzman" added an exotic dimension to their music. The modern BG banjo is a highly specialized machine--tremendous effort by Bela to engage the traditional musicians; the interaction among them was beautiful. Aside from the instrument itself, Bela's improvisations our inspiring--as well as his acuity in assimilating the traditional music

I always feel I should include this as caveat ;) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M5v0aQezxB8

Cue Zephyr
Mar-28-2014, 1:37pm
They call Mumford & Sons 'rock' or 'folk rock' and they became quite a huge act. There's a banjo in all of their songs. Banjo also holds it's place in the country extremities closer to pop and rock. I'm not sure if it'll get through though. I personally think that the mandolin has a better chance of it than the banjo, precisely because it's isn't as locked into an expectation as the banjo is. Having said that, nobody even seems to know what a banjo is. If I show them mine, most of them don't really know what it is unless they know Dueling Banjos from the Deliverance film. Sure enough I'll be learning that one. :grin:

catmandu2
Mar-28-2014, 10:24pm
No doubt--we'll see the banjo and the mandolin increasingly throughout genre. With the folk boom of recent years, the seed has been laid: the banjo (about half as often picked with a plectrum, and tenor too) appears often on the kids' TV cartoons. Probably 99% of the time it's playing in a trad banjo style (folk, "trad jazz," etc). I even saw a cartoon last year--obviously of anime origin/influence--where the cute/cool/animal with superpowers character packed a hammered dulcimer on its back--maybe it was a yanggin or something..

Cue Zephyr
Mar-31-2014, 8:09pm
I suppose I'll start doing some acoustic covers with a banjo. Maybe I'll be on to something.

Nah, somebody else most likely came up with that idea ages ago. :grin:

Mark Wilson
Apr-01-2014, 8:39am
I woke up this morning and just realized for the first time, that I prefer the sound of the banjo over all instruments! I'm selling my guitars and mandolins and buying myself a banjo. Don't know why this feeling would be so accute today but I'm going with it while it lasts. Wish me luck on the other side! :)

Steve Zawacki
Apr-01-2014, 9:12am
I woke up this morning and just realized for the first time, that I prefer the sound of the banjo over all instruments! I'm selling my guitars and mandolins and buying myself a banjo. Don't know why this feeling would be so accute today but I'm going with it while it lasts. Wish me luck on the other side! :)

Tomorrow (4/2/2014) is another day..... This morning I was dreaming about a trio of bagpipes playing "Oh, Holy Night" with vocals by Joe Cocker and a lone banjo player being drowned out. Boy, did I need coffee!

Mark Wilson
Apr-01-2014, 9:22am
You were there too! Sometime after midnight, I dreamed that I was in a banjo orchestra and every song ended in Earle Scruggs signature dismount. Scores of banjos - some in tune - all picking out 'shave and a haircut' in unison! It was beautiful.

DGW1945
Apr-21-2014, 3:34pm
[QUOTE=Cue Zephyr;1270400]Howdy folks,

Some of you might already know why.

For those that don't - proud owner of a banjo as of today.

http://distilleryimage11.ak.instagram.com/020b603ab06311e3be060ed4a55bf507_8.jpg

Let's see what y'all come up with... :grin:

I bought a Deering Boston 6 string guitar. My wife gets crosseyed when I play Baroque with it.
I never get tired of playing it. Congratulations....and enjoy.

Mike Steadfast-Ward
Apr-21-2014, 4:33pm
I'd never take the mickey out of you Zephyr, and don't keep putting yourself down.
I used to play an electroacoustic six string banjo tuned in guitar tuning but I sold it in part exchange for my 59 Les Paul.
Also played 12string Guitar. Now enamoured by mandolin and love learning how to play.

Homer Savard
Apr-21-2014, 5:15pm
Don't be intimidated by the folks who won't play Banjo. It's just our secret, so we shouldn't tell them how much fun the banjo really is. Otherwise, why would we stick to it given all the public ridicule and jokes?
I would recommend Pet Wernick's book as a great basic text for starting out. Earl's book is great and has the classics all tabbed out but it helps to start with Pete's. Tony Trishka wrote a book about melodic banjo that will help you understand that style. Test the different ways to approach playing the banjo and in the end try to sound like YOU! I can't tell you how many times I heard "Earl didn't do it that way!" I've been playing for 38 years and used Pete, Earl, Tony, and JD Crowe, as my starting point. They all had a different approach and created a great foundation for understanding the instrument. From that foundation, I developed my tone and style. Different but mine. Learn the basics and, especially, good timing then just enjoy!
Cheers,
Homer

Steve Zawacki
May-03-2014, 5:27pm
Well, now the bug bit me. The Deering 17-fret arrived today, tuned up easy and is, well, interesting.