PDA

View Full Version : My new mandolin is here!!

Bruce Cech
Mar-20-2014, 10:06am
Ahhh. My new mandolin, The Loar 220 arrived this morning. I've tuned it up and played a couple of little tunes. Very happy with the sound and the quality and the setup. After a small glitch in getting it shipped. I have to say this is another Home Run for American Music Supply. The Loar is many steps above my starter cheapie.

JEStanek
Mar-20-2014, 10:08am
Congrats and enjoy! Can you post a photo?

Jamie

tkdboyd
Mar-20-2014, 11:07am
Ahhh. My new mandolin, The Loar 220 arrived this morning. I've tuned it up and played a couple of little tunes. Very happy with the sound and the quality and the setup. After a small glitch in getting it shipped. I have to say this is another Home Run for American Music Supply. The Loar is many steps above my starter cheapie.

Congrats!

Can you describe the setup? I am not familiar with American Music Supply, but quickly looked over at their site, The Loar LM-170 Grassroots A Style Mandolin: $299.99
If they actually do a set up, that is just an insane little amount of money for a all solid mandolin.

Folkmusician.com
Mar-20-2014, 11:23am
Bruce, Enjoy the new mando!

The Grassroots series, have a solid carved top and laminated back and sides. All of the other The Loar mandolins are all solid.

tkdboyd
Mar-20-2014, 11:33am
The Grassroots series, have a solid carved top and laminated back and sides. All of the other The Loar mandolins are all solid.
Thank you for the clarification. I am not in the market, was just amazed. Well, I should be honest...I am always in the market, just not seriously looking.

Folkmusician.com
Mar-20-2014, 1:10pm
Well, I should be honest...I am always in the market, just not seriously looking.

Admit it, you have a problem! :)

Bruce Cech
Mar-20-2014, 5:01pm
Actually we've all got a problem--there is always a new mandolin just over the hill that is better, plays better, looks better and I want. After all I've only been at it two months and this is my second one. Well the first one did go back though.

This 220 is one of the performer series. I really wanted the 370 but only because I like the scroll but it was not in stock and they didn't know when they would have it. The 170 is supposedly new and they have not shipped yet either.

I'll try to get a couple of pictures posted in the next day or two.

American Music Supply.com is a good place. I bought a guitar there a year ago and that set up was also good. They check and adjust the neck if needed, on the Mandolin they set and adjusted the bridge and put D'Addario strings on it, tuned it. The guitar was completely playable out of the box; the Mandolin needed to have the tuning touched up a little. Action is nice and low with no buzz.

Actually I will be 72 in the next couple of months. I played the guitar from 8th grade through college. Didn't touch it again in over 45 years. I remembered a surprising amount on the guitar but it just wasn't coming back the way I would like. I have small hands and between that and age I was having problems holding the chords. I was attracted to the Mandolin with the smaller neck and I really like the sound. It was a good change.

Denny Gies
Mar-20-2014, 5:06pm
And MAS sloooooooooowly creeps in. Good luck and have fun.

Bill Baldridge
Mar-20-2014, 6:00pm
Maybe you can't teach an old dog a new trick (I disagree.), but you can buy them a new bone.:grin: Enjoy your new mandolin. Seventy-two is young if you want it to be.

OldGus
Mar-20-2014, 6:23pm
I was impressed with the LM220 I played a while back. Good mandolin and good tuners, great value!

Bruce Cech
Mar-21-2014, 1:08pm
Posted 4 pictures in the Post Pictures forum.