PDA

View Full Version : odd question re: case stickers

Jeff Oxley
Mar-18-2014, 10:01am
OK, I know people are all over the place on this one ("I'd NEVER put stickers on my case, banish the thought!" to "Sure, why not, bring 'em on!"). Well, I happen to fall into the latter camp, my cases are covered with stickers (am I allowed to think they look cool?), but here's a twist (not mando related): I have a "rocket box" that fits on my roof rack that makes the festivals I attend feasable given the lack of storage available in my Outback, and of course over time it has become covered with stickers as well. The problem is that over time and inclimate weather, several of them are starting to come loose. I know, it's not exactly the end of the world, they're just stickers, but here's the thing: one of the things in life I actually do take seriously is NOT littering, and I would hate to think that I had contributed, even a little bit, to roadside trash. So, having said all that, I quess my question is, is anyone aware of a type of glue that would be appropriate for bonding paper to plastic (preferably permanently, but that may be asking too much)?? Any suggestions from any of you chemistry/adhesives experts? Thanks in advance for any help you can offer at solving this earthstopping dilemna.

OldSausage
Mar-18-2014, 11:16am
Hold them down with more stickers.

Canoedad
Mar-18-2014, 11:32am
It's not cheap ... West's G-Flex epoxy. It was created for the boating market for difficult-to-adhere plastic applications http://www.amazon.com/NRS-flex-Epoxy-2--4oz/dp/B002IZFPQE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1395160268&sr=8-1&keywords=g+flex+epoxy

mandroid
Mar-18-2014, 11:53am
as far as cases go,
Smooth surface of Fiberglass cases are more bumper sticker friendly,
than the pebbled Vinyl covering on wooden cases.

but perhaps you can do a clear coat spray paint over the stickers on your car top carrier and fill in the edges which are catching the wind at freeway speeds

or how about clear packing tape .. it's handy , and cheap.

JeffD
Mar-18-2014, 12:38pm
I am a sticker person. My cases are covered. With stickers, paint pen writing, spray paint through stencil letting, etc.

My biggest complaint is that modern cases are shaped, and flat stickers cannot hold evenly at all points. Those are the first to come loose.

Jeff Oxley
Mar-18-2014, 1:33pm
Thanks for the responses, yall. Canoedad, I might just try that West G-Flex epoxy, even though, wwooooowwwww that's some expensive stuff for just an 8 ounce bottle each (epoxy + hardener). Mandroid may be onto something, too, with the idea of a clear coating of spray paint. Not so sure the clear packing tape would be much more water-resistant that the stickers themselves, though. It's too bad, I have a TON of packing tape around the house, too...naturally. Thanks for the suggestions. Anybody else??

JeffD
Mar-19-2014, 12:17pm
Well the other answer is to just reconcile your self to the idea of time and tide. Worn and torn stickers, covered with new shiny ones, which will wear and tear in time, its all part of it. It is for me.

One of my tunebooks wore out entirely after years of use. (The comb binding disintegrated.) I purchased a new one, and I was embarrassed at how shiny it looked, as if I were just beginning. :) I parked my coffee on the cover of that book and left it in the sunlight and artificially aged it a little. Much better.

A writer friend of mine once told me "If you want people to think have been around, you have to let places have their impact. If you want to look like you have experience you have to let time leave its mark."

Beanzy
Mar-19-2014, 1:08pm
Get the roof box French polished?
Or maybe start a thread on whether nitrocellulose or varnish is a better option. :grin:

Jeff Oxley
Mar-20-2014, 11:12am
:))
Get the roof box French polished?
Or maybe start a thread on whether nitrocellulose or varnish is a better option. :grin:

delsbrother
Mar-20-2014, 11:24am
Embrace wabi-sabi, my friend.

JEStanek
Mar-20-2014, 3:06pm
Varnish is too soft for roof racks. It'll crackle.

Jamie