PDA

View Full Version : Alcohol vs Water base stain

rwh4
Mar-05-2005, 3:01pm
What are the pros and cons of Alcohol and Water base stains? I have only used Alcohol stain and want to know how waterbase compares. Is it worth my time to try out water base?

Chris Baird
Mar-05-2005, 3:29pm
They are generally one and the same. I prefer to use alcohol as it doesn't raise the grain as much. Anything that is water soluable is also alcohol soluable.

Desert Rose
Mar-06-2005, 9:22am
Even though I customarily raise the grain with a damp cloth before finishing I never use water based stains.

I like to raise when I want to and stain when I want to

I use alcohol anline stains that I mix with 99.4% ethyl alcohol and it never gives a hint of raising.

Using cheap alcohol thats in the 94% has 6% water and it will raise a little.

Scott

sunburst
Mar-06-2005, 9:56am
Ethanol is hygroscopic.
190 proof "pure grain" is the purest methanol that is easilly available, that's 95% alcohol, 5% water. It's as pure as ethanol can be distilled.
200 proof "absolute" alcohol is available to science labs, and in some areas, you can get a permit to get it for industrial or shop use. Because it is hygroscopic, if it is not kept in a perfectly sealed container, it will take on water until it's 190 proof.
Ethanol, if not denatured, is non-toxic (in small doses), so it's pretty safe to use.

I've read that methanol is a better solvent for aniline stains than ethanol. It turns out that methanol is the fluid that farmers use for weight in tractor tires.
I went to the farm supply down the road from me and read the label on the 55 gallon drum that they use to put fluid in tires. Sure enough, pure methanol. Cheap!
It's toxic, so you have to be careful with it, (gloves, good ventilation, common sense) but the anilines themselves are toxic, so you should be careful anyway.
I've been using methanol from the farm supply for my stain solvent for several years with good results.

Desert Rose
Mar-07-2005, 10:08am
John

Ive mentioned what I use before and people cant seem to get it. Remember I live in Japan and can buy this extreme pure ethanol at the local pharmacys but maybe in America as you say its available only to those with valid need.

It comes in special double capped bottles to prevent it taking on moisture as you so rightly pointed out.

But it sure is a pleasure to use and I pay $13.00 a liter for it

Scott

sunburst
Mar-07-2005, 10:19am
Scott, where I live I can't buy 190 proof without a permit, and can't get pure ethanol legally at all.
When I need a new bottle of "pure grain", I have to get it in a neighboring state and pay liquor taxes.
I've quit worrying about the stupidity of this situation, because it does me no good. I'm glad you can get the solvents you need without fighting the system.

ShaneJ
Mar-07-2005, 1:24pm
those dern Revenuers ! http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

BlueMt.
Mar-07-2005, 3:38pm
those dern Revenuers ! http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif
Had better stay away from John Lee Pettimore up the holler' on Copperhead Road! #http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif