PDA

View Full Version : Any Opinions on the Trinity College lines?

lprice1
Mar-17-2014, 9:31am
Since my last post and got all of the great feedback, I was checking out the site which appeared in another post.

According to the site these are Celtic madolins. I found opinions of the OM version (Octave) but not much on the rest of the line ( I got tired of reading) so I decided to post.

I listened to some sound bits of these. I assume these are flat tops.

Any difference between these and the Big Muddy line?

LeRoy

JeffD
Mar-17-2014, 10:16am
Trinity College is a Saga line, if I am not mistaken. I have messed with the Trinity College octave, and the particular one I played was good. I wouldn't say stellar, but it did its job well. I haven't played their mandolins.

I have a lot more experience with Big Muddy mandolins. I recently purchased one. I think they are really great mandolins. Notice I didn't say really great flat top mandolins. They are flat tops, sure, but they are really great mandolins.

Eric F.
Mar-17-2014, 11:56am
I had a TC mandola. It was OK for the money and a good introduction to mandolas. The Big Muddy and Flatiron 'dolas I've played/owned were richer sounder to me. I assume it would be the same with mandolins, including flattops by other individual makers, such as Redline and Crystal Forest. I've owned Big Muddy and Flatiron mandolins and would buy either ahead of a TC if the budget allowed.

Folkmusician.com
Mar-17-2014, 12:05pm
Hi Leroy,

The quality is consistent throughout the standard series. If you try an octave mandolin and like it, you should be pleased with a mandolin, mandola or bouzouki as well. :)

fernmando
Mar-17-2014, 12:06pm
They're okay, worth at least their asking price in tone, but not exactly special. Wouldn't mind owning one, but wouldn't go out of my way.

Gregory Tidwell
Mar-17-2014, 12:17pm
I was watching the Decemberists Tiny Desk Concert the other day on YouTube. Colin Meloy, Sara Watkins and - I think - Chris Funk were all there. It looked to me like Funk was playing one for that recording. I am thinking of getting an OM and honestly, seeing that made me really want to go out then and try one.

JH Murray
Mar-17-2014, 3:20pm
I am very happy with the quality of my TC octave mandolin. Good playability, nice tone, great sustain, comfortable neck. It is a good instrument for the $. There are probably better instruments out there, but they will cost a lot more $$$. For my first octave, I am happy. It will be a long time before I feel MAS and want something better. One thing many of the forums here on the cafe suggest is you buy better strings right away. I found the factory strings to be weak and had some intonation problems. I put the D'addario J80 Octave strings on, and there was a huge improvement with the sound. J80s are a heavier string and give a richer bass sound. For a first timer it's a good place to start.

JEStanek
Mar-17-2014, 6:34pm
They are a great first Octave Mandolin. Probably a similar bet for the mandola. For the Mandolin, given their price, I would opt for a used Mid Mo / Big Muddy or Redline or Flatiron Pancake or etcetera....

There just aren't many new/used sub $800 octave mandolins and mandolas on the market.

Jamie

PS. I have had a TC OM for years. Very stable and a reliable instrument.

Steve L
Mar-17-2014, 6:45pm
It's hard to beat the quality/price point ratio for the octaves and bouzoukis. I think there are better mandolins to be had for the money.