PDA

View Full Version : Hi Y'all

cajunboy2k
Mar-14-2014, 9:47pm
Hey everybody. Been lurking here for a few months. I've been looking into getting a mandolin to learn on. Once Pandora Radio put me on a bluegrass station by accident, I've been hooked.
I play guitar, and know that with certain price ranges, you can mostly expect a certain "quality."
Does this hold true with mandolins? I don't mind shelling out $1000 for a decent instrument. In fact, I'm selling an amplifier to finance a mandolin.
My complaint is that in Beaumont, Texas, there are not a lot of mandolins in the music stores. What the have is usually some variety of beginner Fender instrument. I'm not knocking Fender, I love strats, but I want to try out Eastman, Kentucky, The Loar, and other similar brands.
I've decided that I want an F shaped model because I just dig the shape. The Eastman 515 and 514 offerings, so far, are the ones holding my attention. J.Bovier Tradition series intrigues as well. I just cant find anyplace close to try them out. Id probably have to travel to Houston to see anything worth while. Does anyone have any thoughts on the brands I've chosen, or where I might play them?

dusty miller
Mar-14-2014, 10:16pm
Welcome to the forum. I think you have some good brand choices, lots of people here like the Eastman's. Definitely worth a road trip to go play some and see what strikes you.
If you go into the social groups there is a Texans group, they might have something about good music stores around or you could ask there too.

californiajed
Mar-14-2014, 10:35pm
Go get yourself one and start playing is my advice. If you have your heart set on an F model, by all means go for it. They're beuatiful and fascinating instruments. Just one thought for you, though -- in your price range, there are lots of really nice vintage Gibson A models available through numerous shops that advertise online and will ship to you with a fair return policy should you be dissatisfied with the instrument on arrival. I would give that strong consideration. You may end up with an instrument you would like as much or better that way, and one that will hold its value nicely, too.

Good luck!

cajunboy2k
Mar-14-2014, 10:38pm
Thanks to both of you for the really good advice.

Bob Bledsoe
Mar-15-2014, 2:17am
I tried a bunch of Eastman, Kentucky and Loar when I was looking in that price range - they're all good instruments that you would be happy with, however... I ended up with a JBovier Tradition that I think is superior to the others. I'd go with JBovier hands down.

DataNick
Mar-15-2014, 3:25am
I tried a bunch of Eastman, Kentucky and Loar when I was looking in that price range - they're all good instruments that you would be happy with, however... I ended up with a JBovier Tradition that I think is superior to the others. I'd go with JBovier hands down.

+1....$850 will get you the JBovier Tradition model and it's pretty much the equivalent of what you would have to pay around $2k for in a new F model of that quality(tonewoods, cratfsmanship, etc)

UsuallyPickin
Mar-15-2014, 7:29am
Welcome to the slippery slope of Mandolin Acquisition Syndrome...... there is no recovery. Set up is important on any stringed instrument. With the short scale and double string courses it becomes paramount on a mandolin. There are a few instrument suppliers that get kudos here on The Café for supplying their customers with a mandolin w/ quality setup. The Mandolin Store , see Dennis The Folk Musician , see Robert ... Elderley Instruments ..can't remember a name.. The instruments you are currently looking at are available from these suppliers. I recommend using one of them . Fiddlers Green in Austin also has a great reputation and some marvelous instruments "hanging out"..... Welcome to your mandolin journey.... many of us started out on guitar.... Luck ..R/

pheffernan
Mar-15-2014, 8:18am
I don't mind shelling out $1000 for a decent instrument.

If you're interested in bluegrass on an F model for $1000, I'd recommend shopping for a used Kentucky KM-1000 like the one listed in the classifieds here: www.mandolincafe.com/ads/74022. If you prefer to buy American and don't mind nontraditional styling, you can also find a Breedlove KF http://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/73692 or FF http://www.guitarcenter.com/In-Store-Used-USED-BREEDLOVE-CUSTOM-FF-108675638-i3030249.gc in your price range as well.

allenhopkins
Mar-15-2014, 10:42pm
Up for a day trip? Fiddler's Green in Austin is 250 miles away and they list a large variety of mandolins, (http://www.fiddlersgreenmusicshop.com/mandolins.html#sthash.l2AzBROr.dpbs) including the brands in which you're interested, as well as Kentucky, Loar, Gold Tone, and more pricey brands like Weber and Collings.

It's always preferable to get your hands on the instrument you're considering purchasing, especially in the $1K range. Were I spending that kind of money, I'd invest the time to go to a shop that gets excellent Cafe´reviews.

Just my 2¢,

brent1308
Mar-15-2014, 11:08pm
Go on a road trip. And don't discount a style mandolins when you have the chance to play some in hand. Point is, mandolins are a lot more expensive than comparatively priced guitars. If you're really into mandolin, you'll end up buying a more expensive one. Might as well get more bang for your buck why you learn. And it's not just a saying. As far as I'm concerned, there is no F style mandolin under a thousand dollars that is worth buying. They're pretty and all but after a while you'll realize that that scroll, which is really just an aesthetic creature, is not so well-formed to merit the price increase. But try em out for yourself and decide. Don't take random strangers' advice. (Oh, and if you're so set on that scroll. Compare the shape of under $1000 scroll to one much more expensive).

DataNick
Mar-15-2014, 11:33pm
...As far as I'm concerned, there is no F style mandolin under a thousand dollars that is worth buying...

Hmmm, really!

Have you ever seriously played a JBovier?

Just got back from Temecula Bluegrass Festival today and again, seasoned mando pickers were impressed by the JBovier and are amazed that it is well under $1k. My F5 Studio was $650 a year ago at this time, and the F5 Tradition which has European Spruce as the soundboard tonewood (my F5 Studio is Sitka) is $850. Add maple sides and back, parallel braced tone bars that are tuned, dove-tail neck construction, elevated ebony fret-board, ebony bridge and there's a lot of mando for the $$ there...just sayin I wouldn't be so quick to make a blanket statement like that when there's a lot of anecdotal testimony to the contrary...

Also Mike Holmes of Shawnee Creek Mandolins is under $1k as well...

shortymack
Mar-15-2014, 11:37pm
Don't take random strangers' advice.

Said the random stranger.

cajunboy2k
Mar-16-2014, 12:31am
Thanks guys for all the advice. Wish I was looking for a mandolin about a month ago. I was in Austin for the weekend for my wife's job. Went to Austin Vintage guitars and seen one of The Loar mandos. I dont know which model it was. I did tinker with is for a few minutes, but thats it. I didnt get the bug until a few weeks later.

Jonathan Bailey
Mar-16-2014, 1:14am
If you get the chance to play an LM-700 I would try and do so. It doesn't have tone bars which creates for a really warm open sound which I love. When I was looking to upgrade I was highly considering an Eastman 505 (same thing as the 515, just an A style if I'm correct) and one of the higher end Kentucky F's, but in the end The Loar won out. Some places they might be a bit more expensive, but I was able to get mine practically new for about $900. Overall a fantastic mandolin in my opinion.

Bill Baldridge
Mar-16-2014, 8:15am
One more vote for the road trip, unless $1,000 is chump change for you. Lots of good advice here for background work, but would you spend that kind of money for a guitar without playing and comparing? You will be a much more informed buyer after the road trip even if you decide to buy online from the Cafe classifieds or from one of the great retailers mentioned above. I like F's, and it is the traditional style in the bluegrass community, but it is not a requirement that you have an F to play bluegrass. Bang for the buck is a used A. Good luck, and welcome to the Cafe.

brent1308
Mar-16-2014, 8:50am
just sayin I wouldn't be so quick to make a blanket statement like that when there's a lot of anecdotal testimony to the contrary...

Good point. Which is why I suggested going and trying them out. I personally wouldn't buy a under $1000 F style sight unseen, but there are always exceptions. I've played a jbovier and wasn't that impressed but that was just one mandolin in one setting.

mandotx
Mar-16-2014, 9:10am
As a fellow Texan, I also suggest a road trip to Austin's Fiddler's Green. Call first and see what they might have coming in. Since you are a beginner, have them play some instruments for you. I think you get a better feel for the sound when you sit in front of an instrument.

I also recommend The Mandolin Store. I bought a very nice, barely-used Eastman MD615 (F style) from them for $850. I've played several much more expensive mandos since then and there aren't many I would trade mine for (ok - the Pava, yes, but others no).

DataNick
Mar-16-2014, 9:28am
Good point. Which is why I suggested going and trying them out. I personally wouldn't buy a under $1000 F style sight unseen, but there are always exceptions. I've played a jbovier and wasn't that impressed but that was just one mandolin in one setting.

No harm, no foul!...Don't know which model year JBovier you played but consensus is that the line took a great turn forward in quality in 2012, and that the 2013 models forward are really something special...

brent1308
Mar-16-2014, 10:46am
No harm, no foul!...Don't know which model year JBovier you played but consensus is that the line took a great turn forward in quality in 2012, and that the 2013 models forward are really something special...

Fair enough. It would have been an earlier year model.

Josh Levine
Mar-16-2014, 1:18pm
If I had needed an upgrade and my budget were $1000, I would buy this:

http://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/74260

No financial interest. It does not have a scroll. But thats the lowest you will pay for the bluegrass Gibson tone with F holes. Given that this one is structurally sound with no issues.

Jim
Mar-16-2014, 1:21pm
If I had a spare 1k I'd buy that A9 too.

belbein
Mar-16-2014, 1:26pm
I too vote for the road trip. It will get you out of Beaumont and up to God's country, which is always a good thing. And in Austin, there's not only Fiddler's Green, but I believe Hill Country Music relocated there. And Collings is there, too, which might be worth a visit. Finally, lunch or dinner at Mother's, and hey, you've had yourself a nice little vacation and may never want to go home.

And, as always, I vote: buy used. You'll get a much better instrument, and every dollar of that money you spend will be a real dollar. (Whereas if you buy new, about $0.40 of every dollar disappears as the Asian Instrument Discount on resale.)

JeffD
Mar-16-2014, 2:49pm
Road trip! It's part of the musical life. Travel to jams, travel to gigs, travel to festivals, travel to music stores, travel to a friends house for kitchen jam.

Sometimes travel just to be able to come home.

DataNick
Mar-16-2014, 3:32pm
If I had needed an upgrade and my budget were $1000, I would buy this:

http://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/74260

No financial interest. It does not have a scroll. But thats the lowest you will pay for the bluegrass Gibson tone with F holes. Given that this one is structurally sound with no issues.

You just had to point out that MAS enabling classified posting, didn't you? ...LOL!

Josh Levine
Mar-16-2014, 3:43pm
I guess misery needs company... I keep staring at DairyCrisp's Pava... I really have no excuse to buy it, so I just need to keep torturing myself until someone else comes along and snatches it up.

pheffernan
Mar-16-2014, 4:25pm
I keep staring at DairyCrisp's Pava... I really have no excuse to buy it

If you boys need an excuse, I'll gladly offer you the ones I used. You'd be getting an instrument comparable to a $5000 Ellis A for $1750, a figure that you could largely recoup should you need to after a prolonged trial.

DataNick
Mar-16-2014, 4:30pm
If you boys need an excuse, I'll gladly offer you the ones I used. You'd be getting an instrument comparable to a $5000 Ellis A for $1750, a figure that you could largely recoup should you need to after a prolonged trial.

I'll go you one better Pat; you're getting the same sound/tonal quality found in the Ellis F5 at $10-11k; cause we all know t'aint no difference in tonal quality betweeen an "A' and an 'F5", right?

Josh Levine
Mar-16-2014, 4:32pm
:::Quietly backs out of thread:::

pheffernan
Mar-16-2014, 4:54pm
I'll go you one better Pat; you're getting the same sound/tonal quality found in the Ellis F5 at $10-11k; cause we all know t'aint no difference in tonal quality betweeen an "A' and an 'F5", right?

So if I'm hearing you correctly, I should buy two?

DataNick
Mar-16-2014, 5:05pm
I'll not be the cause of domestic violence...LOL!...but you get my drift; the Pava is most likely the best bang for buck really good professional model out there...

pheffernan
Mar-16-2014, 5:07pm
I'll not be the cause of domestic violence...LOL!...but you get my drift; the Pava is most likely the best bang for buck really good professional model out there...

Healer, heal thyself!

DataNick
Mar-16-2014, 7:02pm
Healer, heal thyself!

Not so fast my brother!...I'm footlose, single and fancy free!...LOL!

pheffernan
Mar-16-2014, 7:08pm
Not so fast my brother!...I'm footlose, single and fancy free!...LOL!

I was referring to proselytizing about the Pava, not avoiding domestic violence charges. ;)

DataNick
Mar-16-2014, 7:16pm
I was referring to proselytizing about the Pava, not avoiding domestic violence charges. ;)

My bad!

If I'm reading you right, I'd love one; especially before they surely go up in $$...an Ellis in Pava clothing!

Craig Montgomery
Mar-16-2014, 7:39pm
Bon soirée, Cajun Boy! I just took up mandolin a month or two ago coming at it as a long time guitar player. This was my journey: I wanted an "F" as well - for purely aesthetic reasons. Someone nudged me towards The Loar brand for this reason: a slightly larger neck and taller frets vs. traditional. It's made the transition easier. The model I went looking for was the 600-VS because it is solid wood construction. Saw one on eBay for about half your budget - with the case. After a month or so I went after bigger fish (you know that story) and found something really wonderful based on a random comment by a Café member here. I'm keeping The Loar as my second. Whatever brand you take a shine towards the taller frets and larger neck would be my best recommendation. I'm sure other makers offer this option as well. Good Luck with your pursuits!

JEStanek
Mar-16-2014, 9:07pm
Welcome to the Cafe!

Jamie

cajunboy2k
Mar-16-2014, 9:39pm
Guten Tag!! Thanks for the input. For some reason, i woke up this morning thinking of A-4 and A-5 mandos. Guess sleeping on all of the good advice so far made the wheels start turning up there.

pheffernan
Mar-19-2014, 8:36am
This Kentucky would meet your demands: http://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/74336.

CedarSlayer
Mar-19-2014, 9:57am
Here is another vote for Fiddler's Green. The Mandolins are in a small room, covering 3 walls. Take your time, ignore the prices, check the feel, volume and response. In the end, go with what warms your soul. When I went there a week ago, I was able to test drive historic instruments, expensive instruments, exotic instruments and some fairly low end instruments. The prices are good and the staff will take good care of you. Be sure to check out the octave mandolins/bouzoukis, you may want to be sure you have enough money available for 2 instruments!

Bob

Capt. E
Mar-19-2014, 10:06am
Up for a day trip? Fiddler's Green in Austin is 250 miles away and they list a large variety of mandolins, (http://www.fiddlersgreenmusicshop.com/mandolins.html#sthash.l2AzBROr.dpbs) including the brands in which you're interested, as well as Kentucky, Loar, Gold Tone, and more pricey brands like Weber and Collings.

It's always preferable to get your hands on the instrument you're considering purchasing, especially in the $1K range. Were I spending that kind of money, I'd invest the time to go to a shop that gets excellent Cafe´reviews.

Just my 2¢,

I live in Austin and Fiddlers Green here is the best mandolin shop in Texas. In the $1000 range, they have several to choose from. In general, a mandolin will cost twice the price of an equivalent quality guitar, especially if you are looking at an F model (the ones with the fancy scroll). An A model mandolin will be (usually) of better quality than an equally priced F model, simply because of all the extra work required to carve the "decorative" scroll. If you can go up to as much as $2600, you might consider a Pava. They are fabulous instruments and come out of Tom Ellis' shop in South Austin. Fiddlers has one in stock right now.