PDA

View Full Version : Like reconnecting with a long lost friend

Loretta Callahan
Mar-13-2014, 12:41am
My family has seen fit to purchase a 114 year old home for the family. This meant that I gave up my cozy little apartment next to the river for inner city life and non stop work. Between caring for the Grandchild, dealing with a huge old home, and my busiest work season of the year, the mandolin didn't come out of her case for over 3 months.

Every time I went to unlock the case, something had to be done immediately or I was simply half dead from exhaustion. The longer I didn't play, the easier it was to collapse at the end of the day and just stare at the case.

I had been practicing 1 to 3 hours a day, so I had some serious mandolin separation anxiety: MSA, not MAS. Anyway, today was the day. I finally had the whole afternoon free. Would I remember how to play? Would my fingers recoil in pain?

Well, even tho' I missed a few notes on some tunes, it was like getting back on a horse or bicycle … and reconnecting with a long lost friend … all at the same time. Something told me it would be just fine … wasn't sure, but it was better than fine … it was great. The fingers knew just where to go. My shoulders are kinda sore and I'll probably have to change the strings … but hey, that ain't no thing.

Anyway, since it was the first sunny day we've had in just about forever, I decided to play on the porch to catch some rays. Neighbors to the left of me and neighbors to the right of me all play music! One lad asked me to meet him at the park later on to play music with him. I did. Seems like that little ol' Gibson was just waiting to get our her case to holler at the neighbors. :grin:

roysboy
Mar-13-2014, 1:23am
It's ok. We all get our priorities messed up every once in a while . Once when I was learning to play a Ventures medley I forgot to feed my dog---for six days .

Bertram Henze
Mar-13-2014, 5:06am
...to collapse at the end of the day and just stare at the case.

Apparently, it stared right back. There's no escape. :cool:

http://reddenfilms.files.wordpress.com/2012/08/jumanji-image-1.jpg

Rob Beck
Mar-13-2014, 5:39am
Hi Loretta, I found it really helpful to leave my mandolin out on a wall hanger. It's surprising how much difference having to open that case makes!

JeffD
Mar-13-2014, 9:14am
The break might have done you some good. I find that is sometimes true.

Galileo
Mar-13-2014, 9:27am
I second JeffD's statement. Leaving the field fallow isn't always a bad thing...as long as it isn't too long. I find I come back with renewed enthusiasm. Furthermore, sometimes, some passage or an element I was struggling with magically resolves itself while my conscious mind was distracted.

Bill Baldridge
Mar-13-2014, 9:28am
There are lots of great reasons for keeping a mandolin in the case; but the fact remains, a mandolin in a case is a mandolin not being played. Even on my busy days, it is difficult for me to see my mandolin waiting on the stand and not play it at least a bit. I'm glad you got back to your joy.

Loretta Callahan
Mar-13-2014, 11:50pm
I think I'm a "leave it in the case" person, Rob~to keep the mandolin in tip top shape, but I get your point. I think JeffD and Galileo might be on to something here. Seems like the tunes came easier and with less angst after a few months of not playing them. The anxiety about having not played for so long is also gone, so much so that I was super relaxed playing in front of strangers.