PDA

View Full Version : i'm thinking of doing this for my Pava

darylcrisp
Mar-12-2014, 8:13pm
well, some of you will note i've had issue with the A shape.

i play seated, pretty much always will, just for pleasure. i have two F models inhouse and they fit my body position perfectly-by using the two bottom points while seated.

i've tried a couple different strap styles and positions-actually think i just worked out a very good position yesterday with a size L Dudette made for the F style. I removed the strings, slid the scroll loop over the headstock and left it on the outward side of the nut-strings reattached hold the loop there-the length allows me the best playing position i've experienced since the Pava A arrived. Its not any fault of the Pava, its the lack of points on the bottom-just so we are on the same page.

i have even thought to just sell the Pava and keep my eyes open for an Ellis F(or fingers crossed that Pava starts building an F style), but, i love the sound and feel of this mandolin. its a very nice, well made, excellent playing instrument.

so my big brain storm is this. have a tonegard made up with the two points fashioned on the bottom of the gard itself- the extra weight of the tonegard would seat the Pava(which is a light weight instrument)in my lap even further, the two tonegard points would allow me to use those for position just as i do with a F style, i get the additional benefits of the tonegard, and since i use a ReunionBlues continental(that i did a bilateral strapectomy on and replaced with my own system and it works great), the tonegard staying on will fit the case-even with the F style bottom points.
all i need to do is make a tracing and send where i want the points to be.

i think its a winner-like this idea much better than selling the Pava.

d

darylcrisp
Mar-12-2014, 8:16pm
the idea is something along the lines of a classical guitarist using a "neck up" for positioning the instrument.

d

JeffD
Mar-12-2014, 9:40pm
I am not sure why, but I have not run into the problem as you describe it. The one F style that I have has not been any easier or harder to hold.

I play mostly sitting down, without a strap.

When I do play standing, with a strap, I have it threaded under the strings between the nut and the tuner capstans.

I think your solution makes more sense than selling the Pava, however. Let us know how it goes.

Nick Gellie
Mar-12-2014, 9:45pm
I am not sure why, but I have not run into the problem as you describe it. The one F style that I have has not been any easier or harder to hold.

I play mostly sitting down, without a strap.

When I do play standing, with a strap, I have it threaded under the strings between the nut and the tuner capstans.

I think your solution makes more sense than selling the Pava, however. Let us know how it goes.

Jeff, I am with you on both accounts. I do the same as you.

To the OP, your A mandolin is much lighter than an F5, I prefer sitting down playing an A style mandolin. After a while you will get used to it without getting extra stuff for your mandolin.

multidon
Mar-12-2014, 10:03pm
Too bad they don't make something like this for mandolin...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002SV4X7A/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B002SV4X7A&linkCode=as2&tag=clasguitcana-20

darylcrisp
Mar-12-2014, 10:19pm
Too bad they don't make something like this for mandolin...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002SV4X7A/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B002SV4X7A&linkCode=as2&tag=clasguitcana-20

yep, exactly, thats the idea
d

darylcrisp
Mar-13-2014, 4:14am
well, I've come to the conclusion of rather than try to turn my Pava into a F style, I'm just going to sell it and concentrate on the Webber we have in house. The A styles just don't work for me, tried a few, and with limited time I'm just going to focus on learning how to play the webber I have.

thanks folks for the replies and thoughts. i'll take some pictures and post the Pava over the weekend I suppose.

d

Doug Edwards
Mar-13-2014, 6:06am
A lot of dulcimer players place some of that rubberized shelf liner across their leg to prevent the instrument from sliding around.
You could also tape some 80 grit or less sandpaper to the bottom side of the instrument.

Canoedad
Mar-13-2014, 7:17am
Daryl I have to wonder if for you, playing an A shape is like trying to play say a four finger G chord. "No way I'll be able to dot that." Or for me, even playing the 5031 F chord. "No way, that is not going to work for me."

But then ....

pheffernan
Mar-13-2014, 8:52am
You went from "like this idea much better than selling the Pava" at 7:13 to "I'm just going to sell it" at 3:14, eight short hours. It seems to me a permanent solution to what is possibly a temporary problem. If I had a Weber in the house, I'd certainly play it. But knowing how much my preferences changed in the first year of playing mandolin, I'd be leery about letting go of the Pava unless financial necessity required it. IIRC, you've already experienced seller's remorse once with this instrument.

JeffD
Mar-13-2014, 8:57am
That shelf liner stuff really works great. I use it all the time. I started using it for my bowlback, and now I use it for everything.

And it comes in many colors so you can match your ensemble!

Mandobar
Mar-13-2014, 9:08am
I switch between an A and and F style mandolin all the time. Some days I prefer the A, some days the F, but I have learned that using a strap is essential. Get a strap button for the A and be done with it. I was at a festival over the weekend and got to play a lot of other mandolins. You just learn to adapt. I'm not sure that buying an F is going to cure what ails any of us. ;)

darylcrisp
Mar-13-2014, 3:53pm
You went from "like this idea much better than selling the Pava" at 7:13 to "I'm just going to sell it" at 3:14, eight short hours. It seems to me a permanent solution to what is possibly a temporary problem. If I had a Weber in the house, I'd certainly play it. But knowing how much my preferences changed in the first year of playing mandolin, I'd be leery about letting go of the Pava unless financial necessity required it. IIRC, you've already experienced seller's remorse once with this instrument.

didn't sell it, had entertained a nice trade offer but in the end i stopped and wanted to give the A more time. i've had a lot of years playing other instruments and i know myself pretty well. when i pick up an instrument that fits, that works for my style of play-its instant.
for years i've loved the dreadnaught shape in guitars-square or round or slope shoulder-we even have an original 1941 J45 Gibson. But, the way i play guitar(imagine classical style) just does not work with dreads. Love the looks, the sound, they just don't fit. not the guitars fault. on the other hand, i have two excellent 00 size guitars that work perfect for me.

my time is so limited, young family, long hours at work and then on-call, i've already put way too much what should have been practice time on the Weber, into trying to work out the A style to fit me. Just ain't going to happen. no worries, it was an excellent opportunity to learn about other instruments and myself regarding mandolins.

and someone will end up with a killer Pava.

d

darylcrisp
Mar-13-2014, 3:56pm
I switch between an A and and F style mandolin all the time. Some days I prefer the A, some days the F, but I have learned that using a strap is essential. Get a strap button for the A and be done with it. I was at a festival over the weekend and got to play a lot of other mandolins. You just learn to adapt. I'm not sure that buying an F is going to cure what ails any of us. ;)

sometimes adapting is workable, sometimes not. other things figure in to all this of course. i use straps on my mandolins(Dudettes-yea!) and i don't have to buy an F, we have two in the house-so at this point i'm settling down to what fits and works for me instantly-i like the F style a lot, but i'm not driven towards it due to how it looks-i actually use the shape of the F to enhance my practice-very tension free, and thats how it should be.

thanks for the thoughts
d

darylcrisp
Mar-13-2014, 3:58pm
That shelf liner stuff really works great. I use it all the time. I started using it for my bowlback, and now I use it for everything.

And it comes in many colors so you can match your ensemble!

thanks Jeff
we use this stuff when we play mountain dulcimer and it does work well. i thought of using it, but i've come to the place of why continue burning time when i have two F's in the house that just really fit me well. i need practice time, not more mandolins(ahem, i am in the 12 step program);)

thanks for the reply and info
d

darylcrisp
Mar-13-2014, 9:14pm
pictures of the little beauty

http://s299.photobucket.com/user/darylcrisp/slideshow/Pava%20A

i wish Pava made F style shapes..............................

d

Ivan Kelsall
Mar-14-2014, 2:42am
Thanks for the slide show Daryl,your Pava is beautiful. I've been an admirer of Tom Ellis's mandolins almost for ever,way before i'd ever picked up a mandolin. I have 2 "F" styles i'll not be parting with,so a part-ex. for an Ellis "A" style is out of the question,but maybe a Pava ?. How do they compare with Tom's own "A" styles ?. Somehow,i can't imagine that there'd be a huge difference given Pava Knezevic's skill at luthiery. Is yours the 'Player' A style in Amber ?. I always wanted a good F & A style & had them.As it turned out,the A style had a warped neck & i part ex-'d it for another F style. The yen for another A style still remains,:(
Ivan;)

dang
Mar-14-2014, 3:03am
I'm not sure that buying an F is going to cure what ails any of us. ;)

Mary, the more I learn from your posts I must say - you would know!!!

Ted Eschliman
Mar-14-2014, 5:25am
Now that the instrument is listed in the Classifieds, it's time to end the discussion about it in the Forum (http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/faq.php).