PDA

View Full Version : EXP-74's with J-74's?

mpeluso
Mar-12-2014, 5:08pm
Any EXP-74 users here replace the non-wound strings with those from a J-74 set in between changes? I'm at 2 months with the EXP's right now and am having tuning issues with the A and E strings. The G and D strings sound great so why spend more money?

mandroid
Mar-12-2014, 6:11pm
plain music wire strings are hard to tell much difference across brands.. just,, measure the thickness .

did you backwind the string so it doesn't slip at the capstan?

Tobin
Mar-12-2014, 6:15pm
I buy individual A and E strings for that purpose. For every set of EXP74s that I buy, I also buy a pair of each of the unwound strings. They do sell individual EXP74 plain strings at juststrings.com. The wound strings last long enough to go through two sets of plain strings.

mpeluso
Mar-12-2014, 6:17pm
Thanks for the input, mandroid! I'm pretty sure the A and E strings in the EXP line are the exact same as those in the non-coated line. This has been my finding for acoustic guitar in recent years. Much cheaper to go this route, I think. Just wanted to see if others were doing this.

Re-string was done properly on my end. Got a couple solid months from this set before this issue. I've heard that mando strings become hard to tune within courses when they're ready for a change. ?

mpeluso
Mar-12-2014, 6:19pm
Thanks Tobin! That's exactly what I'm looking to do. I'll check out juststrings.com.

Tobin
Mar-12-2014, 6:25pm
Re-string was done properly on my end. Got a couple solid months from this set before this issue. I've heard that mando strings become hard to tune within courses when they're ready for a change. ?

Yep, they stretch over time and go out of spec, so they won't intonate properly up the frets. You can get them in tune open, but they won't match each other when fretted. When it annoys me so much that it's affecting my enjoyment, I change them. For me it's about 2-3 weeks for the plain strings.

mandroid
Mar-12-2014, 6:40pm
on an arched fingerboard they go out of tune by how the fret is worn .. even if in unison if open.

n8c
Mar-31-2014, 1:54pm
Thanks for the input, mandroid! I'm pretty sure the A and E strings in the EXP line are the exact same as those in the non-coated line.

I'm not so sure. The EXP74 A and E strings appear to be "brass-plated steel" whereas the J74 A and E's are "plain steel." Maybe the brass plating helps the EXPs last longer?

http://www.amazon.com/DAddario-EXP7402-Mandolin-Single-String/dp/B000OR509U

http://www.amazon.com/DAddario-J7402-Single-Mandolin-Plain/dp/B000OR593W

Clement Barrera-Ng
Mar-31-2014, 2:09pm
I'm not so sure. The EXP74 A and E strings appear to be "brass-plated steel" whereas the J74 A and E's are "plain steel." Maybe the brass plating helps the EXPs last longer?

This is interesting. I always assumed they are the same between the EXPs and Js. I wonder if someone from D'addario can chime in.

Hendrik Ahrend
Mar-31-2014, 2:15pm
Although announced on the package, I've never actually seen any brass coating, anything remotely yellow, that is.

Tobin
Mar-31-2014, 3:15pm
Although announced on the package, I've never actually seen any brass coating, anything remotely yellow, that is.
Same here. In fact, I just put a set of EXP74s back on my mandolin after going back and forth between J74s and GHS A270s. The EXP74 A & E strings do not have a brass plating.

A few years ago I tried the EXP77s, and they did have a yellowish coating that is (according to the packaging) brass. But not the EXP74s.

John Flynn
Mar-31-2014, 3:27pm
I tried them when they first came out and the plain strings did have a brass color. but the ones I've been getting more recently have not.