PDA

View Full Version : Stanley A5 #46

Don Grieser
Mar-11-2014, 7:37pm
Snagged this one from Fiddler's Green. It's the one Don Julin used to play.

imjMFq-vuOM

Bill Baldridge
Mar-11-2014, 8:56pm
It sounds mighty fine. Enjoy!

Don Julin
Mar-11-2014, 9:33pm
Hey Don, you make it sound great! It's a good mandolin for sure. Glad is has a good home.

Svea
Mar-11-2014, 11:15pm
That's a great sounding mandolin with a little bit of seeded mojo, and owned by two Dons. Cool!!!

goose 2
Mar-12-2014, 12:03am
Every Stanley I have played I wished that I owned. i have not played that one, but I wished I owned that one too. Sounds terrific,

Don Grieser
Mar-13-2014, 10:20pm
Thanks, guys! Seems like Stanleys had a little buzz on the cafe for awhile and then disappeared. I took a chance on this one (after watching Don Julin's videos) and it paid off big time. Very fun to play.

Veikko
Mar-14-2014, 6:34am
I had a chance today to try this Stanley A5 mandolin at Kitarapaja (Helsinki). Very nice (and loud) sounding mandolin. Too bad I have this thing for scrolls, otherwise might have bought it.

John Flynn
Mar-14-2014, 6:59am
Too bad I have this thing for scrolls...
Have we discovered a new mando-disease? ATFS: A Thing For Scrolls? As in, "The patient has severe MAS, complicated by ATFS. Prognosis is poor. May lead to bankruptcy, divorce and severe depression." :grin:

Larry S Sherman
Mar-14-2014, 7:24am
Great playing and nice sounding instrument.

That mandolin taught me a lot in my lessons with Professor Julin.

Larry

Cheryl Watson
Mar-14-2014, 8:08am
That Stanley mandolin sounds remarkably similar (well, best I can tell from a video) to my former Kimble A--crisp and powerful with great projection. Congrats on your new mandolin, Don.

Canoedad
Mar-14-2014, 8:38am
Have we discovered a new mando-disease? ATFS: A Thing For Scrolls? As in, "The patient has severe MAS, complicated by ATFS. Prognosis is poor. May lead to bankruptcy, divorce and severe depression." :grin:

Now THAT is a keeper!

Jim Garber
Mar-14-2014, 9:43am
Man, I get all you Dons confused... and now! I played a Stanley F5 a few years ago and it beat out a few other high end F5s that dealer had. Nice instruments.

dan in va
Mar-14-2014, 10:17am
Chris' mandolins seem to consistently have that great tone in spades. He says that happened around the time he made #30 or so. What pick and strings are you using? And what's the date on the label?

There's another ? that i PM'd to you also.

Thanks so much for posting this, Don. The tone in that video is my favorite of all time, along with Mr. Monroe's on the Kenny Baker plays Bill Monroe album. Beautiful playing.

dan

grassrootphilosopher
Mar-14-2014, 10:24am
Snagged this one from Fiddler's Green. It's the one Don Julin used to play.

imjMFq-vuOM

Thatīs a nice mandolin. How does it compare to your Hilburn and the Duff A-5 you have (or had) tonewise, powerwise and else.

Iīve been at TAMCO in Brighton (UK) last year. They had a Hilburn A-5 which was a very fine instrument.

sgarrity
Mar-14-2014, 9:26pm
That Stanley has the tone!

Don Grieser
Mar-14-2014, 11:19pm
Dan, it's got J74 strings and I'm using a Blue Chip TAD50. It's dated March 30, 2009.

Grassroots, the Stanley is 5 years old, and from the wear, it's been played hard. The Hilburn is less than a year old, so a comparison doesn't really mean much. I wanted Jim Hilburn to give me a voice that was different from my Gilchrist Model 5. He succeeded and really built an outstanding mandolin for me; it's up there with the best of them. The Stanley is dryer and more midrange focused than the Hilburn. The Stanley=traditional sound, Hilburn=more towards the modern sound with a bigger and richer bottom end and really richer throughout. The Stanley is perhaps more suited for Monroe style, perhaps a bit louder. At this level, they're just different. I enjoy both of them.

I don't have the Duff anymore so I can't really comment on it.

Don Grieser
Mar-14-2014, 11:26pm
Dan, it's got J74 strings and I'm using a Blue Chip TAD50. It's dated March 30, 2009.

Grassroots, the Stanley is 5 years old, and from the wear, it's been played hard. The Hilburn is less than a year old, so a comparison doesn't really mean much. I wanted Jim Hilburn to give me a voice that was different from my Gilchrist Model 5. He succeeded and really built an outstanding mandolin for me; it's up there with the best of them. The Stanley is dryer and more midrange focused than the Hilburn. The Stanley=traditional sound, Hilburn=more towards the modern sound with a bigger and richer bottom end and really richer throughout. The Stanley is perhaps more suited for Monroe style, perhaps a bit louder. At this level, they're just different. I really enjoy both of them.

I don't have the Duff anymore so I can't really comment on it.

The Gilchrist still has that extra quality to the tone and can do it all. But again, it's 13 years old and it's been played pretty hard too.

jasona
Mar-15-2014, 12:48pm
Nice mandolin Don! I really love the tone those Stanleys deliver

OldGus
Mar-15-2014, 3:09pm
Great playing Don.

Clement Barrera-Ng
Mar-15-2014, 3:40pm
What a great sounding Stanley, and wonderful playing Don.

darylcrisp
Mar-17-2014, 12:29am
Don

I loved the sound and the playing. That is a very cool song. I want to learn that song! Where do I go to find tabs for it?

thanks so much for posting-that's the kind of mandolin music I like to hear.

d

Don Grieser
Feb-05-2016, 3:29pm
Managed to get this one back from pheff. Thanks!

Started learning this Monroe classic. Not there yet, but a good workout on the downstrokes.

Ytkv5whZTpg

Daryl, here's the tef files for Monroe. http://www.mandozine.com/music/search_results.php?searchfor=&tuneselectby=C&mandolevel=&category=&songkey=&artist=monroe&transcriber=&sortby=T&sortorder=A&submit=

Don Grieser
Feb-06-2016, 4:17pm
It plays pretty too.

KSqKXROLVcg

A slow version of Father's Hall by Nancy Blake.

jasona
Feb-06-2016, 5:35pm
Sounds really great, and well played as usual Don. Glad you were able to be reunited with that instrument! I love the way it sounds