PDA

View Full Version : Don't do this on your Vintage Mando kids!

ilovemyF9
Mar-11-2014, 11:34am
It's great to keep your ears open for anything, Enjoy!

http://www.guitarworld.com/video-paul-gilbert-shreds-electric-mandolin

Cue Zephyr
Mar-11-2014, 12:23pm
I like that mandolin a lot better. :))

JeffD
Mar-11-2014, 12:30pm
Something isn't exactly as it seems.

Tobin
Mar-11-2014, 12:37pm
Something isn't exactly as it seems.
That's ...kinda what I'm thinking too. The register sounded way too low for that to be a mandolin sound. But of course, with all the distortion and other effects he had going on there, there's no telling what it really should sound like.

Also, the bending of the neck for a whammy effect was a bit unbelievable. But then again, I've never tried it (nor would I even want to).

JeffD
Mar-11-2014, 12:40pm
That's ...kinda what I'm thinking too. The register sounded way too low for that to be a mandolin sound. But of course, with all the distortion and other effects he had going on there, there's no telling what it really should sound like.

Also, the bending of the neck for a whammy effect was a bit unbelievable. But then again, I've never tried it (nor would I even want to).

And, to my ears the mandolin playing sounded exactly like the guitar playing, in tone. No double string effect. And its an acoustic mandolin. I think it was over dubbed guitar playing.

I think he is just preening in front of guitar players by goofing on mandolin players.

JeffD
Mar-11-2014, 12:41pm

Yea, that much of a change would indicate a problem with the mandolin I would think.

Denny Gies
Mar-11-2014, 12:41pm
I'll stick with Jimmy Page for stuff like that.

JeffD
Mar-11-2014, 12:42pm
Jim Richter (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hjSwQFVzpro)could kick his tailpiece.

Tobin
Mar-11-2014, 12:44pm
I think it was over dubbed guitar playing.

That's exactly where I was going with it. He was probably just having a bit of fun with his fans.

I wonder how many new members will show up here looking to emulate that sound. :confused:

Cue Zephyr
Mar-11-2014, 1:23pm
I think it was over dubbed guitar playing.

I would really like to hear what it sounded like before overdubbing. :))

barry
Mar-11-2014, 1:41pm
It's not even plugged in.

ilovemyF9
Mar-11-2014, 1:55pm
It's not even plugged in.

BINGO! And you win!!!!!!

Denman John
Mar-11-2014, 2:10pm
You need to make those faces to get that sound :))

belbein
Mar-11-2014, 5:05pm
It's not even plugged in. I thought I was the only one who noticed it.

I wonder if anyone else notice the "clunk" when he set that mandolin down. Made me cringe.

Cue Zephyr
Mar-11-2014, 6:36pm
I wonder if anyone else notice the "clunk" when he set that mandolin down. Made me cringe.

Yes, I heard that too. He doesn't think it's cool enough to be careful with it. Such waste.

Freddyfingers
Mar-12-2014, 7:33am
It says right under it that he is not really playing it

Terry Allan Hall
Mar-12-2014, 11:16am
You need to make those faces to get that sound :))

Dysentery makes one's face look like that, as well... ;)