PDA

View Full Version : Dancing?

Mike Steadfast-Ward
Mar-10-2014, 4:11pm
Excuse the crassness of this question. Its mainly to Bluegrass Folks.
At Bluegrass festivals and meets is the tradition of the old dances eg
Flatfooting, Buckdancing and Clogging still practiced and are youngsters
taught the tradition to keep it alive and thriving? I am English so I am
only familiar with Bluegrass and Appalachian music.

mandolinlee
Mar-10-2014, 4:52pm
Hi Mike -

The Northern Indiana Bluegrass Festivals held twice a year at the Fairgrounds in Kendallville, Indiana, USA have a paved spot beside the shelter house area, right in front of the stage for dancers. There is always a few dancers for every group playing on stage. It appears the dancing may be fueled by alcohol!

Lee

Mike Bunting
Mar-10-2014, 6:15pm
Once in a while.
fb8rjyiFs64

Beanzy
Mar-10-2014, 7:31pm
Always lots of clogging and flat-footing events at the UK BG and OldTime Festivals too.

http://www.foaotmad.org.uk/
http://www.britishbluegrass.co.uk/html/events.html

Eddie Sheehy
Mar-10-2014, 8:53pm
Julian Family Fiddle Camp has Appalachian Flatfoot dancing...

http://www.familyfiddlecamp.com/

JeffD
Mar-10-2014, 9:14pm
Lots of dancing at old time festivals.

Mike Steadfast-Ward
Mar-11-2014, 1:20am
Lots of dancing at old time festivals.

I would think that could be an opportunity for dancing and folk dances from almost any era or style including Rag Time, Jazz etc.
I was wondering whether much other than Bluegrass Music and 'shine' had also been carried forward to be celeebrated culturally.
As dance and music are shoes on the same pair of feet so to speak.

Timbofood
Mar-11-2014, 7:58am
When was that video done Mike? Just goes to show the master knew how to interest youth!

Cue Zephyr
Mar-11-2014, 11:22am
I was actually wondering about this myself a few days ago. Thanks for posting. :)

Turtle
Mar-11-2014, 1:26pm
I don't know about the "traditional" dance styles such as clogging or flat-footing but around here, if there's music, people will be dancing. Some people just can't help themselves; They hear music and their feet start moving...

Mike Bunting
Mar-11-2014, 2:01pm
When was that video done Mike? Just goes to show the master knew how to interest youth!
Bean Blossom, mid 80's. He loved kids.

Willie Poole
Mar-12-2014, 12:35pm
My band at one time had a cloggers group that came to most of our gigs and the fans seemed to love it..

On another note but not pertaining to the Op`s question, I always went to the Red Fox in Bethesda Md. to watch Cliff Waldron, the Country Gents, and The Seldom scene, at one performance Bill Emerson stopped playing right in the middle of a song when two dancers got up to dance, he said,"You dance, I don`t play, I play, you don`t dance"...The dancers went to the manager and complained but he agreed with Bill and said he would rather lose two dancers than one of the worlds best banjo players...Bill got shot in the parking lot a week or so later, I wonder if there was any connection?

Willie

Rex Hart
Mar-13-2014, 12:38pm
One of my favorite memories is of my Dad buck dancing to Soldiers Joy and a lot of the other old fiddle tunes.

Mike Steadfast-Ward
Mar-16-2014, 8:53am
One of my favorite memories is of my Dad buck dancing to Soldiers Joy and a lot of the other old fiddle tunes.
Precious memory.

brent1308
Mar-19-2014, 4:29pm
A lot of festivals have a dance tent or a dance stage. Some of which have formal or informal lessons as part of the festival, but most of the dancing is a sort of "whatever goes" type thing.