PDA

View Full Version : Just wrote a new song

Cosmomurphy
Mar-08-2014, 4:50pm
Howdy y'all, I just wrote and recorded a new song this morning, the recordings a little rough but it features mandolin pretty prominently. I recorded the vocals with the guitar, and then overdubbed the mandolin and bass. Let me know what you think, I really appreciate criticism, especially from other mandolinists perspectives.
Thanks!

Like a fallin' star
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C51XuiKEKEI

Cue Zephyr
Mar-08-2014, 6:10pm
Nice! I like it :)

I'd have some things to say from a mixing perspective, but since you say it's a rough recording I won't start about it. OK, one thing, I thought the bass was on the quiet side.

Personally, with such arrangements I'd play the mandolin a little more sparingly and selectively, like it not being 'always there'. That's just my opinion of course. ;)

Cosmomurphy
Mar-08-2014, 7:05pm
Thanks for the feedback. Yeah, its a rough mix, i mixed it down on my headphones and the bass was pretty loud, but i need to get some decent studio monitors so i can get a flat response for a better mix. I think your right about the mando too, it would probably be more tasteful to have it enter and leave at appropriate moments, i guess i just get a little mando-happy when i'm recording:p
Anyhow, thanks again and i'm glad you liked it.

Cue Zephyr
Mar-08-2014, 7:17pm
I don't know how much you have to spend, but I recommend the Yamaha HS range. I'd rather have a set of those than the KRK RP6 G2 I have now.

I know exactly what you mean. I get that with every instrument I play. It's become normal for me to cut and mute certain parts of recorded tracks to keep things a little more interesting - building tension, anticipation, etc. I have not quite reached that point in my playing and arranging that I can actually know how to get that in the places where I want it.

Having said that, arranging is a lot of fun.

Jay G Miller
Mar-08-2014, 9:26pm
I think it coveys your message very clearly. I think I could feel what you felt to some degree when you wrote this, which is very important I think. I feel you wrote from the heart and that always makes a song. Once those little bugs of recording and such are worked out you'll be setting good. Nice job.

Peter Coronado
Mar-09-2014, 10:22am
Nice job, Cosmo! Your singing and songwriting reminds me of John Prine or maybe Guy Clark. Thanks for sharing your work.

Bernie Daniel
Mar-09-2014, 1:04pm
Nice job, Cosmo! Your singing and songwriting reminds me of John Prine or maybe Guy Clark. Thanks for sharing your work.

Yes John Prine -- that's who I was trying to think of! I think the song is great, the words clever and flow nicely and do not at all seen force fitted. I think you have a winner. How much mandolin you use is your call IMO.

Cosmomurphy
Mar-12-2014, 5:05pm
Thank you all for your kind comments! Guy clark and John prine have always been favorites of mine and are both huge influences, especially clark(both of us hailing from Texas). I'm glad you could hear their influence.
Cue, I'll have to check out those yamaha's, thanks for the recommendation.

Mike Bunting
Mar-12-2014, 6:07pm
How about those other great Texans, Townes van Zant, Blaze Foley, charlie Robison and Hays Carll.

Bernie Daniel
Mar-12-2014, 6:28pm
How about those other great Texans, Townes van Zant, Blaze Foley, charlie Robison and Hays Carll.

Don't for get Buddy Holly and Johnny Horton!

Cosmomurphy
Mar-12-2014, 7:22pm
Mike and Bernie, I could never forget them, they all have a solid place in my record collection. I actually saw hays a couple weeks ago, great show. And we should also not forget James Hand and Jimmy Dale Gilmore.
By the way Mike, are you from possum kingdom? I spent six summers working out there.

Rex Hart
Mar-13-2014, 12:33pm
And Jerry Jeff and Robert Earl Keen......

Mark Wilson
Mar-13-2014, 1:20pm
I like it as is. A little lo-fi maybe but it feels right to me.

Too dressy and your line(my favorite) "I'm stumbling straight towards washed up" might not feel as authentic as it does. I like the mandolin bits.

Cosmomurphy
Mar-13-2014, 4:24pm
Hey Mark, can you describe what you mean by "too dressy" and that line not feeling authentic? I appreciate your criticism I just don't quite understand it the way you phrased it.
Rex, and Billy Joe Shaver

Mark Wilson
Mar-13-2014, 4:58pm
Sorry. Wasn't being critical - just clumsy way with my wording. I was trying to say why I prefered the style of this recording.

I'll try to rephrase: If the song was all clean and neatly produced (dressy) it would not sound as authentic. The line "I'm stumbling straight towards washed up" comes off all the more compelling. I like music that sounds real. This sounds real to me. Sorry for the confusion.

Mark

Cosmomurphy
Mar-14-2014, 3:59pm
Oh ok, thanks Mark. I'm glad you like the lo-fi quality, seeing as I don't have the equipment to do anything else;)

Mark Wilson
Mar-14-2014, 7:18pm
Up to a certain level, equipment has less to do with it than technique. I have heard some crazy good tracks with minimal gear. I use a couple hundred dollars worth of recording equipment and doubt that more or better equipment would make a huge difference for me right now. Same as instruments. Technique can make a $75 mandolin sound pretty good if thats the goal.

Hoshibang
Mar-21-2014, 1:28am
Great job!

jimj
Mar-23-2014, 9:24am
I like it as is. A little lo-fi maybe but it feels right to me.

Too dressy and your line(my favorite) "I'm stumbling straight towards washed up" might not feel as authentic as it does. I like the mandolin bits.

Great sound Mark keep up the good work really like your sound.

Cosmomurphy
Mar-24-2014, 7:55pm
Thanks yall. I'm working on recording a full album, I'll share it when its finished. It will of course be featuring quite a bit of mandolin;)

Astro
Mar-24-2014, 10:14pm
Wonderful CosmoPrinemurphy !

Rosemary Philips
Apr-22-2014, 8:51am
I really like it a lot. Definitely reminiscent of John Prine, but also unique. Great work!