PDA

View Full Version : Backpacker Truss Rod Wrench

multidon
Mar-07-2014, 10:40pm
I recently bought a Martin Backpacker mandolin from the classifieds. I know they don't get a lot of love here, but I want to use it for what it was intended for, travel. Something to throw in the car to take on picnics, the beach, etc. I have already strung it up with new Martin lights (the recommended set) and I think it sounds fine for what it is. No I wouldn't gig with it. But for what i am going to use it for it's perfect.

What I don't understand is the truss rod. First, why it's even necessary. The neck and body are in effect a mahogany mono-block. Then the spruce top and the rosewood fingerboard form what is essentially a three layer lamination. Should be pretty strong. That being said there is a small amount of relief.

Secondly (and most importantly) I can't for the life of me find a wrench that works on the truss rod nut. I have just about every size known to man both regular and metric, and none of them fit. It appears to take an Allen but it is tiny compared with normal truss rods.

If only I knew what size to get I would buy it to add to my collection of truss rod wrenches! Oh why do there have to be so many kinds?:crying:

multidon
Mar-08-2014, 5:29pm
Well 76 views and no responses. I suspected I was missing some sizes in my Allen wrench collection even though I have never been stumped on truss rods before. So I broke down opened up my wallet and when the moths were finished flying away invested in a "complete" set of Allen wrenches which I know isnt really but certainly more sizes than I have. I suspected what I was looking for was in there and I was right! If anyone out there is interested the correct answer is (cue the drum roll)...7/64ths!!!! This is the first time I ever heard of this size being used for a truss rod. But if you have a Backpacker this knowledge may be useful to you. It is a simple one way compression rod. And it doesnt have a huge range of adjustability but it probably doesnt need much either because of the reasons I give in post one.

Phil Goodson
Mar-08-2014, 6:21pm
So you wanted the wrench, .... why?:confused:

multidon
Mar-08-2014, 8:28pm
So you wanted the wrench, .... why?

Phil, I just bought the instrument used and i just wanted to make sure the truss rod was operational, not stripped or something. Also, it's just nice to have it just in case you ever need it. and if you re-sell it to be able to give more complete information to the buyer.

pheffernan
Mar-09-2014, 7:47am
I recently bought a Martin Backpacker mandolin from the classifieds. I know they don't get a lot of love here, but I want to use it for what it was intended for, travel. Something to throw in the car to take on picnics, the beach, etc. I have already strung it up with new Martin lights (the recommended set) and I think it sounds fine for what it is. No I wouldn't gig with it. But for what i am going to use it for it's perfect.

It sounds like it's time to update that signature!

Phil Goodson
Mar-09-2014, 9:19am
Phil, I just bought the instrument used and i just wanted to make sure the truss rod was operational, not stripped or something. Also, it's just nice to have it just in case you ever need it. and if you re-sell it to be able to give more complete information to the buyer.

Ha. That's the excuse I used years ago when I bought a sports car! :))

Jim
Mar-09-2014, 9:21am
Also, it's just nice to have it just in case you ever need it.
My rationalization for most stuff I buy:grin:

OldSausage
Mar-09-2014, 9:45am
And the best reason to never throw anything away. Especially completely useless old junk!

multidon
Mar-09-2014, 10:23am
Signature upgraded!

I was looking at the list of "the collection" snd noticed a trend. While eclectic what they all have in common is I got killer deals on all of them. But each time I acquire a mandolin I move down in price bracket. At this rate if I want to continue the patten my next aquisition pretty much has to be a 50 dollar Rogue or something similar!

I feel good about the fact that I got this information out there. The truss rod size that is. I've heard folks say that everything you could possibly think of is on the internet. Not true. This wasn't. But now it is so the next person who Googles "Martin Backpacker Mandolin Trusd Rod Wrench" will actually get this thread as an answer instead of what I got which was zippo.

We live to serve. This shall be my legacy for all eternity!

mandroid
Mar-09-2014, 12:20pm
Had a MBP they are rugged, if it aint broke dont fix it applies .. sold mine to someone visiting Ecuador.

never took the TRC off , metric socket , or a wrench that Stew Mac gets made for luthiers and repair shops perhaps?

truss rods allow the neck to be thinner , but still strong enough to resist string combined tension.