PDA

View Full Version : When does an old mandolin stop being an old mandolin?

verbs4us
Mar-07-2014, 6:22pm
I have a kind of semantic question.
Years ago my dad bought a beat up Gibson H2 mandola. It was in sad shape when he bought it and it got only worse. The top sank, the tail piece had dry rot, the sides cracked and separated from the top and back, and you could see daylight through the back. About the only thing good about it was a dead-straight neck. It could not come up to concert pitch and was unplayable beyond the 4th fret.

A talented luthier friend agreed to repair it. He rebuilt the top, splicing inch wide strips where the cracks were. Ditto for the back. He replaced the tailpiece and rebuilt one side with a new piece of spruce. He put in a new top brace to prevent future sinkage. He reglued everything with hide glue, basically deconstructing and reconstructing the instrument. And he refinished with spirit varnish. Now it sings all the way up the neck, has terrific sustain and harmonics, woofing bass, clear mids, and bell-like trebles.

About half the wood is original, almost none of the joints are original. It makes me rethink the idea about “opening up.” Since all the joints are new and tight, you’d think that would make it sound like a new instrument. And because only 50% of the wood is original, you’d think the instrument would sound, well, “50% new,” not 100 years old like the rest. Yet, even despite its new smell, it has a distinctly vintage sound. Looks like you can replace half an old Gibson and still have it be “old.” Thoughts?

Gerard Dick
Mar-07-2014, 7:44pm
It's an oval hole instrument. It's going to sound more mellow than an f hole. It will never have the "bark" of a bluegrass mandolin. If that's what you call sounding old then that's what it is.

CES
Mar-07-2014, 7:57pm
I'm just glad you were able to salvage it and that it's still a player..."old" or not ;)

Timbofood
Mar-07-2014, 8:17pm
When it becomes "vintage" of course.
Talented restoration will render it more enjoyable so, enjoy!

Charles E.
Mar-07-2014, 8:52pm
It's an oval hole instrument. It's going to sound more mellow than an f hole. It will never have the "bark" of a bluegrass mandolin. If that's what you call sounding old then that's what it is.

It will never have the "bark" of a Bluegrass mandolin because it is a Mandola.

Willie Poole
Mar-07-2014, 9:53pm
In my own opinion I think a lot of people get too caught up in an instrument being "100% original', Monroe`s mandolin wasn`t original and I would bet that a whole lot of the Gibson Loars have had some parts replaced or altered if the truth be known, I believe if it has the sound you like it doesn`t make a hill of beans if it is old, new or a mixture of both, in the OP`s case I would say that it is still an "OLD MANDOLOA", after all that is what the label inside says it is...A 1932 Ford roadster with a 327 Chevy V-8 engine is still a 1932 automobile isn`t it?...Enjoy it and above all play it...

Willie

OldSausage
Mar-07-2014, 10:05pm
Here's your answer

2riRAGzNzvQ

allenhopkins
Mar-07-2014, 11:06pm
Depends on what your concept of the instrument is. Your mandola has marginal value to a collector, since so much of it's non-original and it's needed so much restoration. So its attractiveness in the "vintage" market is seriously compromised.

But as a "player," expert restoration with good pedigree and original materials make it quite special indeed. A musician in search of an affordable mandola would find it very attractive. Musicians are well-known for tweaking and re-jiggering their instruments until they have the desired "feel" and sound. They'd be less put off by the work you've had done on it.

"Vintage" is largely about collectible appeal and condition. Players' instruments are more about sound and playability. Sounds like you've got a winner there.

Petrus
Mar-08-2014, 1:29am
It's like the old joke about the ancient knife passed down from generation to generation. Sure, the blade has been replaced a few times, and the handle has been replaced a few times ....

BTW, I found out recently that a lot of classic Stradivarius violins from the 17th century have actually had a lot of work done on them during the 18th and 19th century, including total neck replacement (the old wedge-shaped necks were changed out for the newer angled ones), opened up for interior work including moving or replacing of the bass bar, even refinishing, and of course accessories like tailpieces and pegs and bridges get changed all the time. Makes you wonder how much is really left of that "original" three-hundred year old instrument that you paid six figures for.

Toni Schula
Mar-08-2014, 3:28am
When does an old man stop to be an old man? Through metabolism almost 100% of the 'wood' has been replaced several times. Though the joints can be a problem ;)

MikeEdgerton
Mar-08-2014, 9:43am
There are no pristine untouched Stradivarius violins. All have had something replaced.

What you have is what would be called a player by the musical instrument community as it was repaired to be played. The only thing that will change that designation is if you decide to keep it simply because it reminds you of your father. Then it becomes a family heirloom.