PDA

View Full Version : Greetings from Queens

mgmnyc
Mar-07-2014, 10:42am
New to the forum, so saying hey. Been playing guitar and harmonica since my teens (that was a while ago already), first picked up a mandolin about 5 years ago when my four year old wanted one. I liked the sound of it, so I got my own. Highly addictive. Kind of like driving a sportscar after getting used to a sedan (guitar). Would love to find some folks to jam with in the area.

sgrexa
Mar-07-2014, 11:42am
Hello MGM,

Welcome to the forum! I am curious, what influenced your 4 year old to want a mandolin? Is he or she still playing 5 years later? You should try and go to Michael Daves beginning bluegrass class in Brooklyn to find others to play with

https://www.facebook.com/events/229325513869372/

Enjoy!

Sean

mgmnyc
Mar-07-2014, 12:57pm
My son saw the guy (Adam, I think) from the Laurie Berkner band playing mandolin on one of their videos, and since he was trying to BE the Laurie Berkner band in those days, he needed a mandolin. Once he had one, I needed one, too. He hasn't touched the mandolin in years, but he's taking piano lessons now.

Thanks for the tip on the class.

Jim Garber
Mar-07-2014, 1:10pm
Also, Jalopy (http://jalopy.biz/)in Brooklyn has regular classes, jams, and concerts. I have attended workshops with Matt Flinner and Evan Marshall there.

What genre(s) of music are you interested? I am not sure what goes on in Queens but there is certainly a lot of activity in the city. I live in northern Westchester so don't get down there too much but I am sure that there are others here who may have more of clue.

Jim's Roots and Blues (http://jimsrootsandblues.com/) calendar is a good source for trad music in the city. Jim is a friend and a mandolin player as well.

mgmnyc
Mar-07-2014, 4:57pm
Also, Jalopy (http://jalopy.biz/)in Brooklyn has regular classes, jams, and concerts. I have attended workshops with Matt Flinner and Evan Marshall there.

What genre(s) of music are you interested? I am not sure what goes on in Queens but there is certainly a lot of activity in the city. I live in northern Westchester so don't get down there too much but I am sure that there are others here who may have more of clue.

Jim's Roots and Blues (http://jimsrootsandblues.com/) calendar is a good source for trad music in the city. Jim is a friend and a mandolin player as well.

Thanks for the links. I'm not too picky when it comes to genre, though when I pick up a mandolin my first inclination is to play bluegrass. I'm slowly building a repertoire.

Jim Garber
Mar-07-2014, 5:09pm
Jalopy is a good place for mulitple genres.

wmaness
Mar-08-2014, 7:45am
Hi MGM and welcome to the forum! You will find lots of good info here. I spend way too much time reading.
I have played guitar for many years too. I picked up the mandolin about a year & half ago and can't put it down. That thing
is addictive. MAS is a real condition.

Jim, I've been thinking about taking the Matt Flinner 101 course online. Were you pleased with his workshop? I know he
is a great player.

Thanks, Wayne

Wolfmanbob
Mar-08-2014, 7:53am
There's a regular jam in Astoria on Sunday's and a few in NY too. I'm busy this morning but I'll send you some info tonight or tomorrow.

mgmnyc
Mar-09-2014, 1:57pm
Thanks. I'm actually planning to check out the jam at The Quay in Astoria this evening.

F-2 Dave
Mar-09-2014, 6:13pm
Welcome, M. Can't help with any jams in NY, but the next time you're in Halfway, stop by and we'll pick a few.

Jim Garber
Mar-09-2014, 6:38pm
Jim, I've been thinking about taking the Matt Flinner 101 course online. Were you pleased with his workshop? I know he
is a great player.

Hi Wayne: I thoroughly enjoyed the workshop with Matt. he is an excellent teacher and a nice guy and obviously an excellent player. His Gilchrist does look like it was made in the 1920s and stored in an attic -- seriously played and not babied. He is the original owner tho. It does sound great tho.

Shirley7712
Mar-09-2014, 6:49pm
MGM, what part of Queens are you in? And is information about the Astoria jam posted anywhere? I might be up for Queens jam during the week if others are...

mandolin tony
Mar-09-2014, 7:33pm
welcome aboard mgmnyc, my name is Tony & I am from Queens village a few minutes from the Nassau county border. What part of Queens are you from & how many more of us are there out there from Queens.

Ken_P
Mar-09-2014, 9:31pm
Sounds like there's quite a Queens contingent here. I'm in Little Neck, practically on the Nassau Border. Sounds like a local gathering/jam would be a fun thing to do!

mgmnyc
Mar-10-2014, 9:33am
MGM, what part of Queens are you in? And is information about the Astoria jam posted anywhere? I might be up for Queens jam during the week if others are...

I live in Briarwood/Jamaica (neighborhoods are not clearly delineated around here). I can easily get to Long Island if folks want to gather there. I'd offer to host a hootenanny but my apartment is not really suitable. What we really need is a back porch . . .

Shirley7712, There is a jam at The Quays in Astoria (4502 30th Ave) starting at 7 pm. I went last night, sat in a few songs. Nice vibe, some good players. Next time I'll remember a strap, so I can actually go the mic and take a solo.

Elliot Luber
Mar-10-2014, 11:00am
I started a Social Group for mandolin players on Long Island, but it hasn't been very active. Please feel free to participate there. (link below).