PDA

View Full Version : Identifying this Mandolin in an Old Family Photo

BeginnerMandolinistTyler
Mar-05-2014, 12:45am
Hey guys,
It has been awhile since I posted. I was going through my photos on my phone and remembered my great aunt had sent me this photo of my great, great aunt (or something) with a mandolin and her cousin (or sister) with a fiddle. I was curious if anyone knew who made the mandolin. I want to place the time around the 1910-1920's. I'm not sure what their location is (possibly North Carolina), but I don't think that would change anything. We don't have the mandolin unfortunately but I have an old fiddle which could be the one in the photos. More than likely, it's not though. My guess is that the mandolin is just some small/local brand mando. Thanks for the help!

mrmando
Mar-05-2014, 2:03am
Chicago made. Looks Regal-ish.

Jim Garber
Mar-05-2014, 9:38am
I have a Stella that looks just like that one. I can't tell from your photo but the headstock usually has some scallops cut into the top (see attached of a similar headstock on a Stella bowlback). Mine has a dark finish like this one (also attached) but a different headstock shape.

BeginnerMandolinistTyler
Mar-06-2014, 1:20am
Hey Jim, after close examination, I think you are right! That's so cool that you have one of those. I wish we still had it but unfortunately I am the only one in my family,currently, that likes bluegrass.

Mike Steadfast-Ward
Mar-06-2014, 7:16am
It could still be in the family my wife's grandad. Was Sgt in the Metropolitan Police and originally from Scotland. He always played one when the house contents were shared between the family his mandolin went to one of his daughters in Canada. Other daughters inherited his fiddle, piano etc. Yours could still be in the extended family. The will may give clues

Jim Garber
Mar-06-2014, 8:34am
Here is mine. The back was mostly off so I took it off completely in order to fix the top cracks. I have to finish this one and string it up again. I love the label on it.

brunello97
Mar-06-2014, 9:08am
If it is a Stella it could be NJ made. Tried to zoom in on the mando in PS. Does the Bart Simpson headstock look like it's missing a chunk on the bass side? Maybe not, it just kind of blurs away into the step behind it.

There were a range of Regals with a very similar body shape and dark finishes from the '30s IIRC. Don't have any images in my files. Can't recall what their headstocks look like.

Mick