PDA

View Full Version : Jack Haggerty Break

Ron Cox
Mar-04-2014, 9:44pm
I finally replaced a missing album (Flight of the Green Linnet) after all these years, and found "Jack Haggerty" as performed by Touchstone. I fell in love with the tune and went searching for the sheet music or TABs. I don't read music well (or at all) but I found three lines, basic melody. I TAB'd it out (using the G scale in Mel Bay's BlueGrass Mandolin Method like I always do) but it seems quite low. It only uses two strings (G and D) and I found I could move it up and liked how it sounded on the A and E strings. I even played it droning an open string (A when the melody was on the E and E when the melody was on the A) with some success.

What I can't do/find is the break. It sounds really familiar to me, but I just can't place it. I haven't been able to sound it out (she's that fast) and I've listened to the song so much the wife has me wearing headphones cuz she is beginning to hate the song.

Has anyone out there worked out the break? (I hope I'm referring to her solo correctly). If you have and care to share, I'd love to see it. I have TABedit and TABwin and don't mind notation, even to just get the basic part of it.

Thanks
Ron

CES
Mar-04-2014, 10:50pm
I don't have it, sorry...but, if no one chimes in with it, consider getting "Amazing Slowdowner" type software. There are several free ones, and that may give you the ability to pick it out yourself. NFI, etc.

Good luck!

Mike Pilgrim
Mar-04-2014, 10:53pm
Here ya go.

Hope this helps.

Ron Cox
Mar-04-2014, 11:05pm
You are a gentleman, a scholar and a fine judge of horseflesh!

Did you do this yourself or is there a source for this? I'm envious of your skill. Thanks a bunch.

Ron Cox
Mar-07-2014, 1:30pm
I put everything in TABWin so I could play the MIDI. The original piece that I found (just the basic Melody) is in 3/4 time, and played at 160, has just the right tempo. But when I add the break in 6/8 the break is so fast that I cant even hear the different notes (well, not very well).

Any ideas on how I should write/create the MIDI so both pieces at least can have the same tempo? The original is mostly quarter notes.

Tobin
Mar-07-2014, 2:43pm
I put everything in TABWin so I could play the MIDI. The original piece that I found (just the basic Melody) is in 3/4 time, and played at 160, has just the right tempo. But when I add the break in 6/8 the break is so fast that I cant even hear the different notes (well, not very well).

Any ideas on how I should write/create the MIDI so both pieces at least can have the same tempo? The original is mostly quarter notes.
I'm not familiar with the program, but it should be the same in any program. If you're using 160 beats per minute as the tempo, that's a quarter note beat. So obviously, putting it into the program as 6/8 will seem twice as fast as 3/4 (since there are two notes per beat, not one). If you want the two pieces to have the same tempo, either convert the 3/4 piece to 6/8 or convert the 6/8 piece to 3/4. If you already like the tempo at 3/4 time, then just input the 6/8 solo as 3/4 time. So instead of 6 notes per measure, you'll put in each 3-note segment as quarter notes.

Ron Cox
Mar-07-2014, 6:13pm
I like the way that Mike's TAB comes out. The MIDI sounds just like Touchstone's verson. The original melody notation that I found from Google, claims to have been written (originally) in 1870. It's in 3/4 and mostly quarter notes (only a couple of eighths and halfs. Mike's tab comes out perfect, but the 3/4 sounds really slow. I'll probably convert it to 6/8 and just combine the measures.

It's would be nice if I could tell the midi to step up the tempo from 160 to 180 just for those measures in 3/4.

Steve L
Mar-07-2014, 6:39pm
If you've never heard Mick Hanley's version, you're missing a real treat.

Ron Cox
Mar-07-2014, 6:42pm
Available on iTunes? Or is this a YouTube only?