PDA

View Full Version : Orpheum Style M Arch Top?

Boilline78
Mar-03-2014, 10:07pm
I recently aquired an old guitar from my family. It holds a lot of sentimental value to all of us. I'm a player but lack knowledge of vintage instruments. My grandmother told me it's easily from the 1930s, possibly older. It appears to be solid mahogany and has tortoise bindings. There are no labels or serial numbers to be found. The only info is on the head stock that reads Orpheum Style M. The hardware appears to have been originally gold. It is a very dark sunburst. I'm looking for any info available to learn more about this guitar. I'm guessing it's not worth much. It needs some love and care but I believe it will sound great with a little work. The tuners are broken and need repaired. What style or brand tuners were common during the era it was built? Thanks for any info regarding the instrument.

Jim Garber
Mar-03-2014, 10:13pm
It would help to post some photos. Perhaps it looked similar to this one?

Boilline78
Mar-03-2014, 10:27pm
Currently using my phone. I don't seem able to post images. I'll post some asap.

Galileo
Mar-04-2014, 1:36pm
116289116288Helping the OP with some photo posting...

Boilline78
Mar-04-2014, 4:01pm
Posted above are the pics of the guitar I'm curious about.

pfox14
Mar-05-2014, 1:23pm
The Orpheum brand was made by William Lange & Co. (Formerly Rettberg-Lange) out of NY. They were mostly known for their great banjos, but they also made guitars. I would say yours dates to the mid-30s.

nmiller
Mar-05-2014, 3:55pm
Lange made some of the Orpheum banjos, but the guitars were made by Harmony, Kay and possibly Regal as well. That particular guitar was built by Kay. The 1930s are possible, as are the 1940s or even the early 1950s. Kay used that body style, f-hole shape and checkerboard binding for about 30 years, so it's hard to narrow it down. The only Orpheum catalog I have access to (1939) shows only Harmony-built models.

Boilline78
Mar-05-2014, 6:14pm
Thank you for the info! That is much more involved than what I could find on my own. I'm really looking forward to restoring it and seeing how it sounds. The checkerboard binding is interesting. I've never seen anything like that. The back and neck bindings are tortoise.