PDA

View Full Version : Here is my new Weymann Mandolute

Capt. E
Mar-03-2014, 4:31pm
In quite good condition, the usual top cracks (repaired) and some play wear. The neck is straight (a bit of relief). Beautiful wood. Serial number puts it at 1923.

Capt. E
Mar-03-2014, 4:31pm

billhay4
Mar-03-2014, 5:39pm
They're lovely looking little instrument, aren't they? Enjoy.
Bill

icuker
Mar-05-2014, 11:38am
Is a mandolute something other than a mandolin? Looks like in very great shape for 1923! Very pretty to look at too.

Bill Baldridge
Mar-05-2014, 12:42pm
Purdy. Enjoy, and thanks for sharing the picture.

tamsyn
Mar-20-2014, 11:40am
A lovely little instrument! It looks a little fancier than my Weymann Mandolute. The fronts look similar, but the flaming on the back of yours looks a little more rich than on mine.

I'm new to Mandolin Cafe, so apologies if this is the incorrect place for this question... But I have a string question for the Weymann Mandolute.

Last year I tried out Newtone Heritage (or maybe it's "Traditional") strings on my instrument, and the sound was instantly and amazingly better. The strings stayed in tune so beautifully -- which was a big deal for my instrument, because my tuning pegs, which are original, don't have much space for winding. I also really like that these strings are designed to have lower tension because my instrument has that characteristic hairline crack (repaired) on the G-string side of the finger board.

I really need to buy new strings, but I can't recall which weight I purchased, and am unsure about whether to get Light, Medium-Light or Medium. (I'm a fiddler first, and play my mandolin primarily for Celtic and mandolin-adapted Medieval and Renaissance music... I don't know much about chording and strumming techniques).

What strings do you use on your Weymann, and do you have any advice about how to pick the best string weights?

peterk
Mar-20-2014, 12:52pm
She is a beauty, and ought to sound very good too.
The wood of the back and the stain colour remind me of the way good violins are done.

Capt. E
Apr-02-2014, 9:20am
Here's an update: After about $180 in work by my luthier (John Allison, Austin) which involved one cleated repair of crack at edge of finger rest and a new bridge (the old one had been shaved down too far with very deep string slots), it is now a very nice player. Very interesting tone along the same lines as a Martin style A, B, etc. I suspect it would record nicely. Not for bluegrass, but I've been having fun with old-time and blues. Probably a great fit with vintage jazz. I may have to join the local mandoln orchestra. It is actually surprisely loud. Only complaint is the slight relief in the fretboard causes some dampening of the E string beyond the 10th fret (I may have lowered the bridge a bit too much). The first 7 frets are pretty worn as well and I have been thinking about a re-fret. Over all, a nice vintage mandolin.

Capt. E
Apr-02-2014, 9:32am
A lovely little instrument! It looks a little fancier than my Weymann Mandolute. The fronts look similar, but the flaming on the back of yours looks a little more rich than on mine.

I'm new to Mandolin Cafe, so apologies if this is the incorrect place for this question... But I have a string question for the Weymann Mandolute.

Last year I tried out Newtone Heritage (or maybe it's "Traditional") strings on my instrument, and the sound was instantly and amazingly better. The strings stayed in tune so beautifully -- which was a big deal for my instrument, because my tuning pegs, which are original, don't have much space for winding. I also really like that these strings are designed to have lower tension because my instrument has that characteristic hairline crack (repaired) on the G-string side of the finger board.

I really need to buy new strings, but I can't recall which weight I purchased, and am unsure about whether to get Light, Medium-Light or Medium. (I'm a fiddler first, and play my mandolin primarily for Celtic and mandolin-adapted Medieval and Renaissance music... I don't know much about chording and strumming techniques).

What strings do you use on your Weymann, and do you have any advice about how to pick the best string weights?

The favorite around the cafe seem to be Tomastiks (I expect the flatwound 154W light's). Lights or extra-lights are preferred. There seems to be worry about medium strings being too strong for a Weymann Mandolute. I have D'Addario J62's on right now (light's). I would not put anything heavier on.