PDA

View Full Version : Sierra Hull, How can you not like this?

Mrquincy
Feb-27-2014, 11:57pm
I hear her a lot on Sirius Satellite. God she is good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-2ihs2PPf8s

Mrquincy
Feb-28-2014, 12:02am
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zu1pPeO9CQc

Mrquincy
Feb-28-2014, 12:07am
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0yM7kCyoUsg

Cue Zephyr
Feb-28-2014, 5:19am
I love her albums. I love her playing and quite like her voice as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eXaJGvJSFZE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ESv0njSXX3A

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fpAZVpSnyY0

Michael Bridges
Feb-28-2014, 6:07am
If you haven't seen this before, it shows that this girl was gonna be good!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQJHtM2CZDg

Steve Zawacki
Feb-28-2014, 7:37am
Between her and an East PA band (Hogmaw) I'm starting to appreciate bluegrass.

tmsweeney
Feb-28-2014, 12:22pm
She is awesome as a player, singer, writer and performer. I will say her stuff is a little sicky sweet for me at times, I'm kind of that way about Alison Krouse and some Nickel Creek stuff too, but yeah she is awesome.

Cue Zephyr
Feb-28-2014, 2:02pm
I want to learn that 'Bombshell' piece of hers. It's really cool and it sounds like fun to play. Not to learn, it will be a pain since it's so dang fast. :))

If you haven't seen this before, it shows that this girl was gonna be good!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQJHtM2CZDg

I found that one a while ago too. I was truly amazed and still am! That already went way over my head.

She is awesome as a player, singer, writer and performer. I will say her stuff is a little sicky sweet for me at times, I'm kind of that way about Alison Krouse and some Nickel Creek stuff too, but yeah she is awesome.

It is. That's why I like it so much. I mean, you know why - my avatar might give it away. :grin:

Been a fan of Alison as well and recently started listening to Nickel Creek which I also like very much indeed.

Robert Smyth
Feb-28-2014, 2:26pm

Glad someone else has said this...yes, she's awesome, but in my opinion too much like Allison Krauss. I'm not a big fan of the overproduced Nashville sound that seems so prevalent in today's country music. I prefer more edginess and a more raw production quality that goes hand in hand with good bluegrass music. Sorry to be a boo hoo...

AlanN
Feb-28-2014, 2:28pm
I want to learn that 'Bombshell' piece of hers. It's really cool and it sounds like fun to play. Not to learn, it will be a pain since it's so dang fast..

Believe that number was noted out with tab in a Mandolin Magazine issue. She is a terrific picker, for sure.

Mrquincy
Feb-28-2014, 2:47pm
Allison Krauss is or was her mentor. She is only 22 or 23 years old.

Cue Zephyr
Mar-01-2014, 1:29pm
Believe that number was noted out with tab in a Mandolin Magazine issue. She is a terrific picker, for sure.

I tried a search among the past issues but it turned up empty. Do you remember which issue it was?

Allison Krauss is or was her mentor. She is only 22 or 23 years old.

Yep and she's 22. ;)

niels
Mar-01-2014, 1:46pm
she plays the guitar too.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_eBoohqKTo

JeffD
Mar-01-2014, 2:06pm
She is a very nice person as well. I met her briefly when she played in Ithaca and she is the real thing.

JeffD
Mar-01-2014, 2:14pm

I know what you mean. Contrast to the Sarah Jory video on the Women with Manolins thread. That kind of voice makes me melt and consider giving away everything I own.

But its a taste thing. There is absolutely nothing about Sierra Hull's music I don't like, and her picking knocks me over.

SincereCorgi
Mar-01-2014, 3:11pm
I will say her stuff is a little sicky sweet for me at times, I'm kind of that way about Alison Krouse and some Nickel Creek stuff too, but yeah she is awesome...

I feel the same way. She's a great mandolinist, but the music... well, that guitarist holding a shaky egg in the link posted above says it all. I don't think I'd have listened to any of her stuff for more than a few seconds if you swapped the mandolin out for a guitar.

Ivan Kelsall
Mar-02-2014, 2:26am
Sierra seems to have two sides to her playing. On the one hand she can play the 'too many notes for comfort' style which leaves me a bit cold - (that's simply my taste),& she can rustle up some of the most delicate & delightful playing that i've ever heard,which totally blows me away. There's no shadow of a doubt that she's an incredible talent. How she chooses to use that talent is her choice,but personally,i wish she'd err on the more 'trad.' side of things every now & again. As for her voice,as has been said above,she's very much in the Alison Krausss mold (IMHO),something that's prevented me from purchasing any AKUS recordings for the past 8 years. Again that's my personal choice,but i don't like 'breathless',underpowered singing,however sweet it may sound to others.
An incredible talent indeed - if you like her music buy it,if you don't....... !,
Ivan;)

niels
Mar-02-2014, 3:15am
what takes me in for her so much is how she thoroughly enjoys actually making music with other musicians. In the best of traditions imho. She is a really gifted musician - there are more of those; but she has that extra sparkle.

Jay G Miller
Mar-02-2014, 8:23am
After listening to both Alison Krauss and Sierra Hull for several years, I don't see how folks think they are so much the same. Yes they are both female artist with smooth voices but that's about it really. I think because Alison became so well known long ago, the first easy thing folks do is automatically associate Sierra with being a copy of Alison. There's no doubt she looks up to her and influenced her early, but honestly her voice is way different in tone and isn't as refined as Alisons. Alison of today is a far distance from Alison of yesterday in her whole sound. Sierra also made Sam Bush a person to look up to as well in her playing and he influenced her, but nobody ever says she is his "mini me". She is her own, and I think deserves that status. Simply because her music is in the same realm with Alison doesn't make them the same. Otherwise we could say all jazz artist copy each other or all traditional artist copy each other because they carry so much in common sound. Folks seem just fine with artist sounding similar to Bill Monroe.

I think its kind of like beer or wine, in that right in the beginning it all taste very much the same in its class, but someone that has drank various drinks for a long time, and pays attention to the details, can tell right away the differences.

For anyone thinking Sierra Hull doesn't do traditional Bluegrass,, need to listen to more of her music because she does a fair amount of it.

Bill Baldridge
Mar-02-2014, 10:08am
What a shock, people have different opinions of Sierra Hull. I believe that she is a fantastic talent, and from everything I see of her, a nice person as well. As a father of two daughters, I go out of my way to support successful women. Her voice and music is not my cup of tea, but hey, variety is what makes the world go around and keeps the forum going around as well. Go Sierra.

Steve Zawacki
Mar-02-2014, 10:41am
For anyone thinking Sierra Hull doesn't do traditional Bluegrass,, need to listen to more of her music because she does a fair amount of it.

There are darned few full-time professionals in the music business who are totally "traditional" anything. Commercial success often means having to appeal to a "non-traditional" fan base, whether that be in the pub or equivalent, fairgrounds, concert stage or broadcast media. As a result the trend to blended, crossover sounds with some "traditional" mixed in is to be expected. One kindly old guitarist once told me that's the difference between the "business of music" and the "enjoyment of music" - making a living at it often means playing stuff the audience wants to hear even if you're tired of it.

Bill Baldridge
Mar-02-2014, 12:50pm
There are darned few full-time professionals in the music business who are totally "traditional" anything. Commercial success often means having to appeal to a "non-traditional" fan base, whether that be in the pub or equivalent, fairgrounds, concert stage or broadcast media. As a result the trend to blended, crossover sounds with some "traditional" mixed in is to be expected. One kindly old guitarist once told me that's the difference between the "business of music" and the "enjoyment of music" - making a living at it often means playing stuff the audience wants to hear even if you're tired of it.

Good point, and at the same time I don't get the sense that Hull is not doing exactly what she wants to be doing, e.g., her last you-tube post.

JeffD
Mar-02-2014, 1:07pm
I believe that she is a fantastic talent, and from everything I see of her, a nice person as well. .

And those two things alone are something I stand in awe of.

drbluegrass
Mar-10-2014, 2:00pm
Her style reminds me of Adam Steffey. She's a good'n alright.

Tom