PDA

View Full Version : Gilchrist in the ads

AlanN
Feb-27-2014, 9:55am
http://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/73761

Lovely.

Likely was one of the quartet played by Butch and the NME. I saw the ensemble around then and to see the bunch of them on stage, at one time, was something.

sgarrity
Feb-27-2014, 11:20am
Hhmmm, I wonder who got this one originally? Carter's sold Charlie D's F5C a few months back. It was a '94 model and quite possibly the best mandolin I've ever played. There was a lot more going on tone-wise than the typical "bluegrass" mandolin. I got to A/B it with my Master Model, another exceptional mandolin. The F5C had such a big, deep, bell-like tone. The notes really blossomed out of it. Where the MM is like a quick, dry, crunchy, mid-rangey machine gun. FYI, this one belongs to a cafe member.

Mike Sutterfield
Feb-27-2014, 11:47am
I've played the two Gil's that Carter currently has and the F5C is quite exceptional. I really don't think its opened up yet either. It looks to have very little playing time.

Jim Garber
Feb-27-2014, 2:48pm
I've played the two Gil's that Carter currently has and the F5C is quite exceptional. I really don't think its opened up yet either. It looks to have very little playing time.

Wow, a 17 year old mandolin that hasn't yet opened up? Huh?? Was it sitting in a closet or in the deep freeze? So, it sounds exceptional but could be even more exceptional once it gets broken in?

The only F5C I ever saw or heard was Evan Marshall's at a workshop he did in Brooklyn last year. Unfortunately I did not have a chance to play it. but it looked and sounded wonderful esp in EM's hands.

sgarrity
Feb-27-2014, 4:38pm
Keep in mind that Evan's was braced lightly for the very light strings he uses. The other Classicals are braced for regular strings. Most are X-braced and Englemann. There's at least one F5C with tone bars.

Jim Garber
Feb-27-2014, 4:57pm
Thanks, Shaun... I didn't know that.

peter.coombe
Feb-27-2014, 5:23pm
Yes, I concur, those Gil classicals are exceptionally nice. I have a Model 3 Classical and looked at that ad very closely. Somewhat out of my league price wise though. Who ever has the resources to buy that will be very fortunate.