PDA

View Full Version : Weber BigHorn

Iron
Feb-26-2014, 1:10pm
I'm thinking about buying me one of these anyone got and input on one .
One thing I noticed is no scroll of course so I guess there is a standard location for a strap pin.
If you have one do you like it ect. And or played one sure would like your opinions.
Thanks

belbein
Feb-26-2014, 6:12pm
Where to hook the strap is least of your worries, Iron. They are really, really hard to find. But you should check the used places: Elderly, Mandolin Store, all the supporters here. The prices on used ones are very reasonable, I think.

To answer your question: My Bighorn has a button installed on the starboard side of the heel of the neck. Works fine.

I cannot speak highly enough about mine. I am so absolutely beyond thrilled, I sometimes sit her and just laugh with joy about it. They are great instruments. In fact, let me put it this way: I was so completely put out by the twangy damn "e" string on my other mandolin that I'd given up and bought a Weber Mandola. It was all I played for a while. Then I bought this Bighorn, and it is such a mellow instrument that the "e" don't twang and ... well, I just love playing it.

There's a previous thread about them somewhere, and everyone who participated talked about how much they liked them, and how nobody really gets rid of them. When you see one, jump and jump fast, because they appear and disappear like smoke.

Iron
Feb-26-2014, 6:13pm
Never mind folks I dig some digging and found out all I need to know about Bighorns and then some (smile), now I just gotta locate one

belbein
Feb-26-2014, 8:32pm
You're welcome. :-)

George R. Lane
Feb-26-2014, 8:42pm
Iron,
If you can't find a used one, they still make them.

http://webermandolins.com/instruments/mandolins/a-style-mandolin/bighorn-mandolin

Ivan Kelsall
Feb-27-2014, 2:44am
This method of attaching a strap to "A" style mandolins is very popular - a loop of leather thong passed under the fingerboard extension,
Ivan;)

Iron
Feb-27-2014, 9:20am
That looks like it works good Ivan, but if I get lucky and find one, I want a pin installed I wonder who makes a good strap for an "A" style ? Anyone have a link ?

Indianarick
Feb-27-2014, 10:37am
Kyle at the Mando Shop has a new Bighorn Custom that is gorgeous. Almost bit on it myself. I have purchased a couple of things from him and it as always been great.

Rick

Iron
Feb-27-2014, 5:50pm
Kyle at the Mando Shop has a new Bighorn Custom that is gorgeous. Almost bit on it myself. I have purchased a couple of things from him and it as always been great.

Rick
Thanks for the tip, it looks like a good one but I kinda like the dark burst better

Iron
Feb-28-2014, 9:35am
I found this one hiding way up North , ships Tuesday on account of the weather, supposed to be some kind of polar wave up there ?
http://www.acousticmusic.org/Weber-Custom-Bighorn-p-1066.html

dang
Feb-28-2014, 10:01am
I custom ordered mine with a few upgrades (http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/showthread.php?11287-Let's-see-some-two-point-mando's&p=210891&viewfull=1#post210891), looks like yours has some too.

Since then I have traded out the Original Brekke Bridge for a Traditional Brekke, and had the finish removed from the neck. Both done at the Weber shop.

I am coming up on having mine for 10 years and it is the best purchase I have ever made.

nickster60
Feb-28-2014, 10:02am
That is a beauty.

Capt. E
Feb-28-2014, 10:39am
I agree about the Dark burst. Take a look at the photos of mine in my albums below. Now you need to decide if you want ff holes or an oval. I prefer the ff holes.