PDA

View Full Version : Tenor tuning

jazzjune18
Feb-25-2014, 1:42pm
Gdae vs cgda... What do you prefer, and why?? Tone wise what is the benefit of each? If I were to go to gdae could I get by with j80s (octave mandolin set)?

Alyx Hanson
Feb-25-2014, 2:12pm
I started out at CGDA and have recently switched to GDAE, both because GDAE is what I'm used to (coming from mandolin/octave mandolin) and because I figure if I'm tuned down and capo at the 5th, I still have the option of CGDA voicings.

J80s might work, but keep in mind that they're loop end strings, and a lot of tenor guitars call for ball end. My personal solution: I experimented a bit with what gauges I liked (on the recommendatations elsewhere in this forum ended up with .013, .019, .030w, .044w), and once I was settled, ordered bulk packages of strings from JustStrings.com (NFI, I am just super impressed by their prices and service). It winds up being under $2 a set that way.

Beanzy
Feb-25-2014, 2:44pm
I've not changed since this thread (http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/showthread.php?87729-Tenor-tuning-survey&highlight=Tuning) :whistling:

tashook
Feb-25-2014, 5:55pm
I have on of each - matching BlueRidge T40's. I switch between them depending on what song I'm playing and sound I want to emulate.

planetj60
Apr-01-2014, 5:23pm
I also use both tunings: CGDA on smaller-bodied instruments and GDAE on larger-bodied guitars.

fox
Apr-02-2014, 1:58am
I agree that smaller instruments sound great with higher tuning. My short 21" scale tenor really needs thick strings to get GDAE too.
However I still use GDAE apart from my nylon stringed 20" scale baritone ukue where the tiighter strings & higher CGDA sound is much better.

bruce.b
Apr-02-2014, 9:15am
I've used the J-80's for GDAE on a 23" scale tenor guitar. For my 21.5" tenor I go a little heavier.

I initially tried both CGDA and GDAE. I only tune GDAE and much prefer it. It gets you almost as low as a 6 string guitar and I can play lots of stuff exactly the same on mandolin and tenor without the key changing and it really works great for Irish trad, fiddle tunes, and my new favorite on tenor guitar, Bill Monroe tunes. Old Ebenezer Scrooge is a revelation on a GDAE tenor. It growls and has a more powerful, menacing sound than it does on mandolin. I much prefer it an octave lower on tenor. I'd like to try it on an Octave Mandolin sometime...... a big, powerful guitar bodied one.

Plus, you can capo to get CGDA. You can't do the reverse when tuned CGDA.