PDA

View Full Version : New Member

brenstaf
Feb-24-2014, 10:54pm
Hello, I am new to the mandolin and the Mandolin cafe. This site is amazing - so much information - and so beautifully put together. I started two months ago with a cheap, used mandolin to see if I could possibly learn how to play (I don't play any instruments). It has gone well and I am so excited about playing the mandolin. Last week my husband bought me a Loar 600 - I love it, love playing and learning everything I can from the Cafe. It has answered so many questions. Thanks to all.

Rodney Riley
Feb-24-2014, 11:01pm
Welcome to the Cafe and the wonderful wacky world of these little beasts. :)

Drewsey
Feb-24-2014, 11:16pm
Welcome. Like you I am new to the mandolin (3 months), and didn't play any instruments prior.

Definitely a lot of info to absorb on these forums.

Eric Hanson
Feb-24-2014, 11:17pm
Welcome to the camp....
Uh.....Sorry. Different life. :-)
So glad you are finding joy in these wooden boxes with eight strings. They tend to be addicting.
Its never too early to start saving for your next one. MAS will strike soon enough. Until then, may your The Loar 600 bring you the greatest of pleasures.

rlh2pgh
Feb-24-2014, 11:51pm
Hello everyone, I'm also a new member and just purchased my first Mandolin. I can't wait to get started. I needed to stay in my budget so i got an A style, I thought I could get the most tone for my money. I Hope that works out. I purchased The Loar LM-400 and it's on the way. I wish i'd been on this site when i was shopping. There is so much good information. I hope i picked a good one.

Randi Gormley
Feb-25-2014, 9:28am
Welcome to both of you!

Rodney Riley
Feb-25-2014, 12:10pm
Hello everyone,... I needed to stay in my budget so i got an A style, I thought I could get the most tone for my money... I purchased The Loar LM-400 and it's on the way.... I hope i picked a good one.

A-styles are a good choice to get a really good sounding instrument for several hundred dollars cheaper than an F-style. Just remember if the 400 is a little hard to play/fret, has any buzzing or other issues, find a person qualified/experienced on mandolins. These little beasts are a lot more complicated to get a good set-up on than a guitar. And a guitar tech only can do more harm than good for them. If you didn't buy from, like, the stores advertised here. Maybe just an internet warehouse store. The most recommended thing to do from the Café members is to have a set-up done on it. If there is anything you have questions about. Ask. Help is here on the Café :) welcome.

Mike Steadfast-Ward
Feb-25-2014, 2:36pm
WELCOME to both of you.

rlh2pgh
Feb-25-2014, 5:03pm
[QUOTE= Just remember if the 400 is a little hard to play/fret, has any buzzing or other issues, find a person qualified/experienced on mandolins. These little beasts are a lot more complicated to get a good set-up on than a guitar. And a guitar tech only can do more harm than good for them. If there is anything you have questions about. Ask. Help is here on the Café :) welcome.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the comments Rodney Riley
I'm expecting a nice set-up. The folks who have purchased from this establishment are always pleased with the set-up when they receive the instrument. At least according to the reviews. The "cafe' seems loaded with people willing to help. Thanks again

hank
Feb-25-2014, 5:23pm
Welcome to Cafe and congratulations to you both on your new mandolins. We're glad to have you join us.

Ken Olmstead
Feb-25-2014, 5:24pm
Howdy, howdy, howdy!!!

DataNick
Feb-25-2014, 5:24pm
Welcome, Congrats, and btw: Resistance is futile!

Bill Baldridge
Feb-25-2014, 5:37pm
Welcome!