PDA

View Full Version : anybody care to educate me on my new mansolin? jbovier a-5

kevbuch
Feb-24-2014, 8:29pm
Was getting a Kentucky 505 but the deal fell through. It was a blessing in disguise because I am now getting a jbovier a-5 now. It's a 2012 model. Can you fine folks teach me about it, please? I want to know my new friend inside and out :) learning will also help hold me over while I wait for it to arrive. Thank you.

Also, not worth making a topic about it, but my jb player magically improved greatly today. The resilience cover fell off and I put it back on. All of a sudden it got a great bluegrass sound to it. Just felt like mentioning this :)

Thank you for any replies.

Pasha Alden
Feb-25-2014, 12:01pm
Hi Kev, I got the Jbovier a5 2013. So it's a different model. I can say with confidence about this model that it travels well, that in African climate, and has a beautiful sound. It is much like other mandolins in that you do just need to play it to it's full potential to get the sound. I put my Jbovier on an amp the other day and played tremolo. Gosh, can it make a sweet noise. I am advising from my a5 2013. So I can just say these are great mandos and I'm glad you could get one!
Happy playing!

Caleb
Feb-25-2014, 12:45pm
Did you buy that Bovier that was in the Classifieds last week for $350? That was a sweet deal.

jake-mando
Feb-25-2014, 8:14pm
Congrats Kev on your new JB. I've got 2. A F5 Dorado, and a A5 prototype. I've had the F5 for a couple of years. Love them both. If you want info on your mando. Contact the owner of J. Bovier. Jeff Coward. He is a very approachable guy.

Enjoy.

kevbuch
Feb-27-2014, 10:28pm
Did you buy that Bovier that was in the Classifieds last week for $350? That was a sweet deal.

Yep, and he made the deal even sweeter. 375$ including shipping, a hard case, a strap and some spare picks ^-^ he's a nice guy. When I first started playing, I made a topic about which picks i should buy and he sent me some for free :)

mandobassman
Feb-27-2014, 11:22pm
Hi Kevin. I contacted you last week about the 505. I had suggested the Bovier to you. I have the A5 that was actually the first one of the new models built in 2013. It is actually the one that is pictured on the website. It had a very slight issue with some raised grain coming off one of the F holes and Jeff was hesitant to sell it, but I'm glad he did. It has a terrific voice and is a dream to play. Yours was built in a different factory in 2012 and, although I've never heard one, I hear that they are also quite good. That 505 is a pretty good mandolin, but I think that you may have actually done better with the JB A5. I hope it's even close to as good as mine. If it is, you'll certainly be happy with it. I use flat wound strings on mine and just a couple of days ago changed the strings for the first time since I bought it. Still trying to play out the new sound of the strings, but when they're broken it gives the mandolin a wonderful dry, warm tone. However, it still has all the volume I need for live playing. I couldn't be happier with mine. Congratulations with yours. Enjoy!

mandobassman
Feb-27-2014, 11:25pm
Yep, and he made the deal even sweeter. 375$ including shipping

Awesome. Can't do better than that.

Caleb
Feb-28-2014, 11:55am
Yep, and he made the deal even sweeter. 375$ including shipping, a hard case, a strap and some spare picks ^-^ he's a nice guy. When I first started playing, I made a topic about which picks i should buy and he sent me some for free :)

That's a great deal. Enjoy it.

DataNick
Feb-28-2014, 2:34pm
Kev,

Congrats again!

I think we talked via PM about this one but it's x-braced and I've heard nothing but positives on that batch. Mine is a 2012, probably from the same factory and is a "head-turner"; plently of volume, punch, woody tone, pop on the chop, etc.

I think you scored a great deal!

Dave Weiss
Mar-01-2014, 1:03am
Kev, I'm sure you'll like it. It's tighter than a drum right now, but nothing that a little warm moist air and hard playing won't fix :). It's pretty dry up here, about 20% rh, the case humidifier is just enough to prevent any damage and it's been sitting in the case for a while, un-played. You'll be doing a lot of de-tuning for the first couple of days, but it'll settle in in less than a week...
I've had a Kentucky 505 and an Eastman 605, but I prefer the JB over both of them. The only reason I'm letting it go is that I'm retiring this year and I splurged and ordered a retirement present for myself.
Mike Black is building an A-1 for me :mandosmiley:

Pasha Alden
Mar-01-2014, 1:10am
Kev, I can vouch for what Kaleb says, Jeff's great. Do contact him. I've had not a single woe from my Jbovier, that despite harsh African climate, of course I am circumspect as to where it's taken, but all the same. Jbovier instruments are good, solid and stable and just so playable with good sound! Have fun mandofriend!

Pasha Alden
Mar-01-2014, 1:14am
Agreed with Mandobassman I too have the a5 of 2013 and it's a great mandolin.Soft and also dry sounding, but perfect for playing live. Holy roses! Just put an amp or pre-amp on it and we will certainly be having a fine, but different discussion. Really great mandolin. Happy playing on your Jbovier and have fun!

Michael Bridges
Mar-01-2014, 9:11am
Nice buy on the J Bovier, Kev! I eyeballed that one myself, if finances had permitted, would have loved to have it. From what I've read and heard, they are one of the best bang-for-the-buck mandos around. I think you're gonna be a happy picker.

Jim
Mar-01-2014, 11:03am
Congrats on the new Mandolin,