PDA

View Full Version : Yes...

Keith Erickson
Mar-03-2005, 9:55am
A few months ago I found the YES Magnification CD in the bargen bin for US$4 bucks.

A great buy I must say... http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/coffee.gif Cheers....

Anyway on Song #9 In the presense of Steve Howe plays a really neat mandolin part. Simple but yet it completes the song.

I would highly recommend getting the CD. YES really connects well with an Orchestra. ...and the mandolin really kicks to boot http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mandosmiley.gif

Michael H Geimer
Mar-03-2005, 10:16am
Our bongo player - he's 40-something going on 16 - he keeps insisting at practice that we should cover Yes' Roundabout.

http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/rock.gif

jmcgann
Mar-03-2005, 11:11am
Yes rules!

luckylarue
Mar-03-2005, 11:28am
Is Magnification a recent release?

Starship Trooper would be a good one to try as well. Takes me back to watching their concert on "Night Flight", a late-night live music program in the early eighties. Chris Squire can rip on the bass! http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mandosmiley.gif

Keith Erickson
Mar-03-2005, 11:53am
Is Magnification a recent release?

Starship Trooper would be a good one to try as well. # Takes me back to watching their concert on "Night Flight", a late-night live music program in the early eighties. #Chris Squire can rip on the bass! http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mandosmiley.gif
It was released in 2001. It is all new and original material backed up by a syphony orchestra.

I have to admit that Christ Squire does know how to play bass.

I wish he was on the Anderson, Brufford, Wakeman & Howe CD back in 89.

Another personal favorite of mine http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mandosmiley.gif

Michael H Geimer
Mar-03-2005, 2:15pm
" I wish he was on the Anderson, Brufford, Wakeman & Howe CD back in 89. "

Not me. Robert Berry (along with Goeff Downes) tackled the bass playing for that album. After that he worked with Emerson and Palmer on the 3 project.

Robert Berry opened sooooooo many doors for me and my friends in our upstart local prog band! He helped us along just because he liked us and liked our music. He bailed us out when our first indie label ran off the $$$! He plugged us onstage when he opened for Kansas. He's the best!

Squire is top notch bassist for sure, but I owe such a debt of gratitute to RB, and it was that album that ABWH album that first 'put him on the map' of Progressive Rock.

- Benig

Keith Erickson
Mar-04-2005, 9:27am
Benignus,

WOW!!! I can see that your personal connection would lead you to your conclusions.

I won't argue with you on anything you say pertaining to this matter.

If I had that type of connection, I would most definitely feel the same way. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mandosmiley.gif

Michael H Geimer
Mar-04-2005, 10:21am
There's no argument to be found here. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif Besides, that's all 'water under the bridge for me'. Long past.

That was just a 'shout out' to one of the Good Guys in the often wicked business of music.

- Benig

After thought: How 'bout a Guitar - Mandolin duet of Mood for a Day! That would sound sweet, I bet.

ira
Mar-04-2005, 11:18am
so glad that there are others who appreciate YES. they often get bashed, and i was a big fan, who though don't listen to them often, still enjoy their music a whole bunch.

Michael H Geimer
Mar-04-2005, 12:02pm
Steve Howe
Jon Anderson
Chris Squire
Alan White
Bill Bruford
Rick Wakeman
Tony Kaye
Goeff Downes
Trevor Horn
Trevor Rabin
Eddie Jobson ... but I betcha can't tell me where he makes an appearance?

Did I miss anyone?

John Uhrig
Mar-04-2005, 1:16pm
Peter Banks
Patrick Moraz

Michael H Geimer
Mar-04-2005, 1:44pm
Yes indeed!

( How could I forget Patrick! )

Here's the Eddie Jobson answer: Before the band Cinema offically became Yes of the 90125 era, Eddie Jobson was playing keyboards. It wasn't until the very end of the project that Eddie left and Tony Kaye came on board ... making them Yes.

In the 'Owner of a Lonely Heart' video there is a rooftop scene. The blond, curly headed gent in the jumpsuit is the good Mr. Jobson.

I wonder if he knows any fiddle tunes?

- Benig

bjc
Mar-04-2005, 6:35pm
Now, you surely must know that Eddie was the keyboardist/violinist in UK which featured Alan Holdsworth on guitar on the first album, after that Alan left and they DIDN'T replace him. It was John Wetton on bass and vocals, Terry Bozzio on drums and Eddie on boards and violin. They did a live album with that format which was awesome... Sorry, if I've injected too much stuff here, it was in my brain and needed release...

Michael H Geimer
Mar-04-2005, 7:13pm
I used to be a HUGE Jobson fan. That live UK album is great, even with Greg's 'pitchy' vocals. Owned the 'Green' album on vinyl. Own in now on CD (hard to find). Heard the 'Pink' album once, but I wasn't too impressed really. Did you know he was in Tull for a spell, too?

Back when I was an eager fan, my friends and I put together a Progressive Rock Family Tree to chart all the band-member swapping that went on in the 70's.

It almost seemed like John Wetton and Greg Lake *might* acutally be the same person since they swapped roles so often without ever being in the same band together. Lake even toured with Asia in their later days!

Bruford won the title of Prog Drummer Slut for playing with seemingly *anyone*. Yes, Genesis, Brand-X, Crimson ...

Trevor Horn won for 'Most Influential' ... a genius behind the machine ... a George Martin of sorts.

He was vocalist on Tormato, produced 90125, heavily-produced Frankie Goes to Hollywood, and ... (drumroll) ... was half of The Bugles (w/ Downes), the first band on MTV with their one-hit-wonder 'Video Killed the Radio Star'!

Yes. There *will* be a quiz. Bring a #2 pencil, please.

bjc
Mar-05-2005, 9:47am
Hey,my post was too big so I had to eliminate my comment about Jobson playing with Tull...if I remember correctly, I saw Jobson with Tull and the opening act was a rock/blues band named (gasp!) Whitesnake...and I saw Yes with both of the Bugles present...did you ever see the ad in Guitar Player that Jobson had looking for musicians (in the 80?)? I thought that was kinda strange...and bring on the useless rock trivia, I have a "wealth" of pointless facts, but could always use a few more...

Michael H Geimer
Mar-05-2005, 9:58am
" ...did you ever see the ad in Guitar Player that Jobson had looking for musicians (in the 80?)? "

Wow. I would have missed that ad. At the time I would have just started exploring record stores and such as an adolecent.

Like a typical teenager, I picked out my first two albums based soley on the 'cool' cover art.

Kansas - Point of Know return
Saga - World's Apart.

So, there's how I got into Progressive Rock. Life's funny that way.

- Benignus

jim simpson
Mar-06-2005, 3:46pm
I loved seeing Yes live. In '72 a group of us got delayed in traffic and arrived at the concert just as the opening act was finishing their last song. Much to my dissapointment the band was Gryphon and they were doing Fisher's Hornpipe. I already liked Gryphon and didn't know they were the opening act. Fortunately Yes was great as usual and I forgot about the dissapointment.

Keith Erickson
Mar-07-2005, 11:01am
I saw YES only 2 times. Both were very memorable concerts.

The 1st time I saw them was back in around April of 1991 at the Brendan Byrne Arena in East Rutherford, New Jersey. The Union Conert was awesome to say the least. Those 8 folks sounded better in concert than they did on the Union CD.

The 2nd time I saw Yes was back in 1998 when they played the Abraham Chavez Theatre here in El Paso, Texas. The keyboardist I think was from Russia and he was absolutely awesome.

It doesn't matter what line up there is or was, YES always attracts the very best musicians.

...just my opinion Cheers........... http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/coffee.gif

mandopete
Mar-07-2005, 4:05pm
Oh man, this talk of Progressive Rock really brings back memories of high school for me. #I have always thought that Long Distance Runaround would do really well with a mandolin, especially on those chord chops!

I was inspired by the picture booklet inside of Fragile where there is a picture of Steve Howe's guitar collection to make this mando circle picture...

mandopete
Mar-07-2005, 4:13pm
Yes. There *will* be a quiz. Bring a #2 pencil, please.
Okay...

1) Who were the musicians in Gentle Giant?
2) Who was the original lead guitarist for Genesis?
3) What does the term "Brain Salad Surgery" refer to?

I know about that family tree chart you're referrring to. I think I saw something like in an old English music rag called the Trans Oceanic Trouser Press, which used to feature articles about progressive rock bands.

Keith Erickson
Mar-07-2005, 4:44pm
Mandopete,

I don't know if you know this, but there is an acoustic version on Roundabout that's on a recent YES release that came out about a year ago.

I can't remember but I know that it's a live album. I'll have to do some internet searches.

I would love to know if there is any mandolin on there. If I'm not mistaken, I think that Jon Anderson plays some mandolin somewhere.

http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mandosmiley.gif

Michael H Geimer
Mar-07-2005, 5:17pm
" Who was the original lead guitarist for Genesis? "

Anthony Phillips

Q. Why did he leave the group?
A. Stagefright!

Genesis was and is my favorite Prog band ever. There was a time when Phil Collins might possibly have been the best drummer in the whole of the Rock World ... but then http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wow.gif

Michael H Geimer
Mar-07-2005, 5:25pm
A friend of mine saw Yes on the 90125 tour at The Greek Theater in Berkeley (I was there too, but with other friends).

Before the show, Ed ran into Jon Anderson. Ed asked him for an autograph. Jon of course asked, "So what's your name?"

"Ed", replied Ed. To which Jon then asked ...

"How do you spell that?" http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif

We've been having a good laugh at that one for years now (and we always speak Jon's part in a Mickey Mouse falsetto voice).

mandopete
Mar-07-2005, 8:45pm
Okay, very good, you got Tony Phillips. #I had never heard that stagefright was the reason he left. #I too was a HUGE Genesis fan. #My all time favorite band memory was when they played in Boston on the Trick Of The Tail tour with Bruford, right after Peter Gabriel left the band.

We were hanging out by the backstage door trying to meet anyone we could from the band when out pops Bill Bruford. Bill says her has no time to talk, but could meet for breakfast the following morning. #We meet Bill at the unheard of hour of 8:00AM for breakfast and proceed to talk about all things percussion for the next 45 minutes.

After that we decide to try and track down Mike Rutherford. #I pick up the house phone and ask for his room. #After a couple of rings his brand-new wife picks up the phone and I ask, "is Mike is around?" #She says (with one of those proper British accents) "Well, he's in the bath right now, who should I say is calling?". #I say, "just a couple of musicians from Berklee College of Music who would like to talk to him...". #At this I hear her cover the phone and yell something out to Mike, who I assume is "indisposed" at the momeent. #Soon she comes back on and says he would meet us in lobby in a half an hour.

A bit later on Mike strolls down and we spend a good thirty minutes talking about Rickenbacker guitars as I had just bought a 360 12-string. #While this is going on we spot Steve Hackett making his way through the lobby and we ask him if he could chat for a bit. #Looking around he says. "sure, where?". #We decide at 10:30 in the morning that the hotel bar is the best place. #So we walk in and sit down, only to gather the ire the waiter as we're not properly dressed (whatever that was) and were asked to leave. #At this Hackett becomes completely indignant and as only a true Englishman can do, he proceeds to dress down the waiter by saying "I think it's very rude the way you're discriminating against the guests!"

Now I have some pictures of this somewhere and now I've got to find them. #There is one hilarious picture of my friend Ray and I with Tony Banks. #In the picture Tony is making a face as if were about to steal his wallet.

Anyway, thanks for indulging me, here are the other answers:

1) Who were the musicians in Gentle Giant?
Ray Shulman, Derek Shulman, Kerry Minnear, Gary Green & John Weathers.
2) Who was the original lead guitarist for Genesis?
Anthony Phillips.
Beastiality,

Keith Erickson
Mar-08-2005, 10:44am
Speaking of Steve Hackett and Steve Howe in the same thread.

Does anyone remember GTR??? ?

I still have the CD and will never part with it. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mandosmiley.gif

jmcgann
Mar-08-2005, 12:34pm

a particular form of pleasure which may only be alluded to on a family forum...the term "head" is also used to indicate the composed melody of a jazz composition :cool:

Michael H Geimer
Mar-08-2005, 12:57pm
" Does anyone remember GTR??? ? "

Oh my. I had totally forgotten about that.

mandopete,
I am *so* envious of that story! I've been lucky to have met a number of my idols over the years, but never anyone from Yes, Genesis, or Rush.

What a great show to catch! A Trick of the Tail is the pinnacle of their whole catalog - IHMO. But at 7yrs old I wasn't much interested in extended instrumentals or odd time signatures ... but I was geeky enough to know about Squonks and why they're so difficult to catch.

My old band actually got to record songs for a series of tribute discs put out on Mike Varney's Prog label (the label name escapes me right now). I was on hiatus at the time (already one foot out the door), but as the resisdent fan of the group I was asked to pick a good Genesis song to cover.

I suggested 'Man of Our Times' and I think the version they did is fantastic! ( Also, the late Kevin Gilbert works wonders with 'Back in NYC' on that same disc. )

For the Yes tribute disc they did an equally stellar rendition of 'Changes'.

For the Pink Floyd album ... well ... I've never actually made through that recording of 'Us and Them'. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/sad.gif

This is a fun 'blast from the past'. As mandopete says ... Thanks for the indulgence!

- Benignus

BTW ... my Prog days are where this quirky nickname arose in the first place. I'm glad it has survived into a whole new genre of music.

mandopete
Mar-08-2005, 2:02pm
BTW ... my Prog days are where this quirky nickname arose in the first place. I'm glad it has survived into a whole new genre of music.
Back in '76 my nickname was "Goomer" (?)

This whole thing (Progressive Rock) really started for me in 1974 when I first heard Genesis on the Selling England By The Pound tour in Southern California. #I had heard ELP and Yes, but it was Genesis that captured my imagination, what with all of that guitar cross-picking and what not. #I think to this day I'm trying to get a little bit of that Genesis 3 guitar sound into my bluegrass music, not sure just how, but I notice that I like to cross-pick in a 7-beat roll.

I'm still looking for that photo. #In 1976, in Boston, I hooked up with some fellow progressive rock fans when I attended Berklee. #We found that by hanging out around the venue while bands were doing sound checks, we had a good chance to meet the musicians as they exited the back stage door. #I have some great stories about hanging out with Gentle Giant, Rennaissance and Van Der Graff Generator.

Sorry to hijack this thread, but it sort of touched a nerve (in a good way) and I couldn't help myself.

Knights of the Green Shield stamp and shout!

Michael H Geimer
Mar-08-2005, 2:27pm
" ... we had a good chance to meet the musicians as they exited the back stage door. "

That was our secret, too. But by the time I was on the scene, the Big Names were playing stadiums where that approach just doens't work the same.

Our drummer did follow the guys from Marillion into the pub across the street from an LA venue. He gave Steve Rothery our demo which he actually listened to on the drive up to the Bay Area! Long story made short ... he helped produced our first CD, and eventually got us a slot as their opener.

Moral folks: Don't be shy!

Oh yeah. We've definately Hi-Jacked this thread! But, I think it's OK ... 'cuz how many Prog threads are we really going to get here at The Mandolin Cafe, compared to say ... oh, I don't know ... BLUEGRASS?!? (Today we're serving eggs, bluegrass, ham and bluegrass. Would you like bluegrass toast, or a bluegrass muffin? ) http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif

Mando content: I am still struggling to chop and alternate pick in 7/8. I'm dead serious. It's a brilliant time signature, rivaled only by 11/8 and 13/8. Seriously.

David in IL
Mar-08-2005, 2:48pm
I can claim to have seen Eddie Jobson with both Jethro Tull and UK. I'm surprised anyone else remembers UK; as they were a progressive rock "super group" I was delighted to see them (including A. Holdsworth) at the University amphitheater when I was a freshman in college. I'm also glad others remember those first couple of post-Peter Gabriel Genesis albums. "Trick of the Tail" and "Wind and Wuthering" are at least as good as anything they did with PG. I've long been convinced that it was Steve Hackett's leaving that really did them in. Here endeth the lecture.

mandopete
Mar-08-2005, 3:02pm
Mando content: I am still struggling to chop and alternate pick in 7/8. I'm dead serious. It's a brilliant time signature, rivaled only by 11/8 and 13/8. Seriously.
<grins>

I know exactly what you mean! #I'm fond of using the following cross-pick pattern D-U-D-U-D-U-D for 7/8. #I always think of the tune Back In New York City from The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway when doing this.

I have been turning my house upside down looking for that dad-gummed picture...now it's a mission! #In the meantime, I found my old copy of this:

Michael H Geimer
Mar-08-2005, 3:48pm
" I'm fond of using the following cross-pick pattern D-U-D-U-D-U-D for 7/8. #I always think of the tune Back In New York City. "

Hey! Now we're getting into good mando content. I attempt to use this pattern as well. While I do like the groove in Back in NYC, I would cite 'Cinema Show' as the classic Genesis 7/8 groove. Phil's hi-hat work is so smooth the whole thing avoids the herky-jerky side of odd-time.

But what about alternate subdivisions of 7's 11's and such. There's a great feel to be found inside the (3'+2)+2'=7 that wants a different picking pattern ... aaarrrgh. It drives me nuts on the rare occasions I wander back into these meters.

I think it's all about mastering the double-downstroke in order to stress *this* beat or *that * beat.

Also, I have found that it really helps to get beyond the run-of-eighth-notes thing (though Genesis never really did) and to explore more open phrasings and grooves within odd-time. Sometimes the subdivision outlook is taken too literally.

A few weeks back I let my Prog roots show during a Santana-ish jam-thing we were playing. I started a repeating pattern in 6/8 over the band's 4/4. Now 2 against 3 isn't that odd, but it sure got the bassists attention. He looked over at me with this look as if to ask, "Are you playing what I *think* you're playing?"

Afterwards I told him I used to play Prog, and he went "Oh!"

mandopete
Mar-08-2005, 3:57pm
See now, I like the "herky-jerky" effect of the odd time signature. #When I try to explain 7/8 to someone, I always think of it as a "peg-leg' beat. #The second set of 4 beats gets shorted by one beat making the whole pattern sort of jerk along. #I think this is what Led Zepplin was doing on The Ocean if I recall correctly.

2 against 3 is really cool, I think the Allman Brothers used to use this in the drumming a bit. #Out beyond that I spent quite a bit of time listening to The Mahavishu Orchestra in high school and was always fascinated by the polyrhytms and odd time sigatures. #I think they had 3 time signatures going by the end of Dance Of The Maya.

Man, we have seriously hijacked this thread!

Michael H Geimer
Mar-08-2005, 4:00pm
LOL! I forgot to mention *why* I want to master this odd-time thing on mandolin. I really want to write a fiddle tune in 7/8!

Once again ... I'm absolutely serious. I have a true Love for 7/8, so I think I'm just the man for the job!

mandopete
Mar-08-2005, 4:15pm
I'm no expert on this, but I suspect there are a number of "old-time" fiddle tunes that have beats missing. I think the folks who wrote the tunes did not envision them odd time signatures, but rather just a melody that doesn't divide into an even number of beats.

Michael H Geimer
Mar-08-2005, 4:38pm
Uh huh. Kinda like how there are no minor chords in Old-Timey either?

You're right though, I can think of two Carter Family songs right off the top of my head that are pretty 'crooked'.

Keith Erickson
Mar-09-2005, 9:57am
Okay Guys,

Now look what you made me do.....

I have brought with me to work Close to the Edge,Relayer, Big Generator and [/B]Union with me. All Yes all Day. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/laugh.gif

All of this Yes Talk really makes me want to listen to them.

Ohhh by the way, Speaking of Talk[B], I was listening to that CD yesterday. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/laugh.gif

mandopete
Mar-09-2005, 10:49am
I know what you mean Keith. I'm probably going to spend some time listening to Genesis today!

http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

Michael H Geimer
Mar-09-2005, 11:05am
I'm in with Genesis - Seconds Out.

ira
Mar-09-2005, 11:06am
quick, i need to break out my old cassette tapes of:[B]Brand X

bjc
Mar-09-2005, 6:00pm
Wow we are going WAY BACK in this thread just like recliners...anyone remember Starcastle?

mandopete
Mar-09-2005, 7:32pm
No, please illuminate us!

I love nothing better than vague references to obscure progressive rock bands.

http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

ira
Mar-10-2005, 9:02am
uh-oh, right after my brandx stuff, i'm gonna pullout my jon anderson with vangelis...........

Keith Erickson
Mar-10-2005, 9:56am
uh-oh, right after my brandx stuff, i'm gonna pullout my jon anderson with vangelis...........
Hey Ira,

You won't believe this, but at this very moment I'm listening to Jon Andersons' Deseo CD I picked up in Costa Rica back in '95.

Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/coffee.gif http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mandosmiley.gif

David in IL
Mar-10-2005, 11:11am
I remember Starcastle; they were huge in central IL back when I was in high school/college (yes, I am ancient). Bought one of their (three?) albums the same year I saw UK in Champaign.

mandopete
Mar-10-2005, 12:52pm
Okay, I found their website here. (http://www.starcastlemusic.com/)

Never heard of them.

bjc
Mar-10-2005, 11:18pm
The singer of Starcastle was the original singer in REO Speedwagon...if you can believe that...sorry to see the bass player passed...

telepbrman
Mar-11-2005, 12:36am
Keep track of Natural Timbre, solo work of Steve "the man" Howe...also, that GTR video tape from the 80's, and Tony Levin's solo work...later, dy.

mandopete
Mar-11-2005, 10:55am
Okay, back to Yes, has anyone fooled around with Your Move/I've Seen All Good People? #Seems like this tune would be a natural for the mandolin with the guitar strumming into. #This has always been one of my favorite Yes tunes and one that I pull out sometimes at a late night bluegrass jam...after the cops go to bed http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

David in IL
Mar-11-2005, 11:56am
I believe I've seen mandolin arrangements for Your Move. It is a natural for mandolin, anyway; Steve Howe plays a small stringed instrument whose name escapes me on that memorable opening.

Mike Handley
Mar-11-2005, 3:24pm
" ..small stringed instrument whose name escapes me .."

On the liner notes, he called it a 'Vachallia' (sp?). I read somewhere that he found out later that it was a Charango. Each of the old Yes members have web sites that are pretty interesting.

Man ... this whole thread is blowing my mind! What memories! I saw Yes about ten times from from the 70's to the 90's. My favorite show was the Union tour. We went to the show and found that the sound equipment was set up in our seats. So the usher appologized, grabbed some folding chairs and sat us in the front row.

I can still hack a fairly respectable version of 'Clap' and 'Mood for a day.'

Billiam
Mar-13-2005, 11:11am
Steve Howe
Jon Anderson
Chris Squire
Alan White
Bill Bruford
Rick Wakeman
Tony Kaye
Goeff Downes
Trevor Horn
Trevor Rabin
Eddie Jobson ... but I betcha can't tell me where he makes an appearance?

Did I miss anyone?
Billy Sherwood (guitar)

Igor Khoroshev (keyboards)

Both appear on the CD "The Ladder" (and got writing credit along with the rest of the band), and toured with Yes around 1999 - 2000.

mandopete
Mar-14-2005, 11:05am
Yes, you missed Peter Banks as well.