PDA

View Full Version : yonder mountain string band

Adam Tracksler
Mar-03-2005, 9:06am
I just found out about these guys, they are really good.

David M.
Mar-03-2005, 9:38am
Not my cup o' tea. But, well respected, nonetheless.

Mar-03-2005, 6:03pm
i wouldnt call it bluegrass....... but alot of people seem to do.... http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/rock.gif

enjoy!

KevinM
Mar-03-2005, 6:55pm
For studio work, get the "Town by Town" album or the first album. Good songwriting is what separates these guys from the pack - the banjo player Dave Johnston in particular writes a haunting tune or two ("8 Cylinders", "Red Tail Lights"), and they put on a very energetic stage performance. They are very familiar with their bluegrass, and sprinkle their sets with classic covers, but their shows also hit jug band music, blues, disco covers (yes! stuff like "Don't Stop Till You Get Enough"), pink floyd, country - all played with strictly bluegrass instruments. Me, I can leave the extended 30 min+ jams, but that is strictly personal preference as they do "rock" and the crowds love it. There are about a gazillion shows out there on the Internet, but the soundboard recordings have been cut back. Check out www.bluegrassbox.com and download some shows (note the various compilations), buy a commercial release. I think they are under the bluegrass tent, but venture outside now and then. Bluegrass on Hallucinogens.

GnomeGrown
Mar-04-2005, 2:36pm
I have seen Yonder more than a few times, and they put on one helluva show, lots of energy and lots of fun.....

There are aslo a ton of shows at the Live Music Archive, many of which can be streamed, so if you haven't had a chance to hear them. try it out....

Im not trying to start any sort of argument here (REALLY), but why would they not be described as bluegrass?

Personally, I care not what label is applied to them, just wondered what other folks' thoughts on this were......

Pete Martin
Mar-04-2005, 3:17pm
To find out why many Bluegrass players wouldn't call them Bluegrass, listen side by side to Bill Monroe, them YMSB. #They play the same instruments, but play and sing pretty different. #

Terms don't mean anything if you like the music.:D

ShaneJ
Mar-04-2005, 3:24pm
I like YMSB too. I call their style (& other Rocky Mountain area groups) "Hippy Grass". That may conjure some unintended negative connotations though, but it's what I think of when I listen to them.

eastcarterman
Mar-04-2005, 3:40pm
YMSB is one of my absolute favorite grass bands. Bluegrass is a pretty strict label, but you do not have to play bluegrass to have fun with a mandolin, etc. I think we would all agree that Sam Bush is one of our favorites and nobody can call him bluegrass. Just enjoy the body moving music and the soul shaking lyrics and have a good time, labels are a waste of said time!

Mandomax
Mar-04-2005, 3:59pm
Pete, well said. I have held off from posting on this topic immediately as my mom always told me, "If you can't say anything nice..." but I've thought about it for a while and here is my take. It isn't the labels that I think about when I listen to YMSB, but proficiency. In short, I think they need to spend some more time in the woodshed. Now I'm not saying that they are living the high life on tour staying in the Ritz or anything, but there is a certain level of chops I expect with a touring BG band, and with them, it is just not there. I saw them on a double bill with Del and the boys, and YMSB got smoked like a 10 cent cigar. Yonder was using pickups during their set, but when they came out with the McCourys, they had to play through the area mics. They could not draw tone out of their instruments to save their lives. They have great showmanship and dance around when they are playing, but man, they need some practicing. The best picker in the band by far is Adam, the guitar player, and most cringe-inducing is the banjo player. Rob McCoury had to give him some words of encouragement after his breaks, because they(Yonder's banjo picker's breaks) were so bad. I don't want to come off sounding like a jerk, because being in a full-time touring band is some hard work, but I think if you are gonna get a lot of PR, you better have the goods to back it up. It ain't there right now. I like their originals, as I think they can tell a good story, but when they played traditional stuff, their shortcomings are readily apparent. I am trying not to be a jerk, as I know everyone has their opinions, so take mine with a grain of salt. I've seen YMSB several times, so I think I've got a pretty good idea of what their live show is about. YMMV. Keep on pickin, and enjoy your favorite types of music. I know I will.
Later,
Max

Mar-05-2005, 2:09am
ok... so heres the thing ....
bluegrass is (obviously) a sacred thing to alot of people that high lonsome sound has touched.
people take their bluegrass pretty seriously....
like previously said, listen to bill monroe, then yonder.

youre not the only one who calls it hippy grass!

mingusb1
Mar-05-2005, 11:27am
I call them:

"longer mountain jam band"

Not a fan. And while I don't doubt that they are good players, and would accept that they try hard and are nice guys, the music just does not do it for me. And I think the singing is not on the level of the bluegrass greats.

There's something about having heard every lick in a players bag after the 2nd (or 1st!) song of a performance...and it is NOT a case of having too few licks.

Mostly, I like when players give it to me straight.

mho
Z

Michael H Geimer
Mar-05-2005, 1:51pm
WSM =/= YMSB =/= AKUS =/= NC

Bluegrass =/= Jam Band =/= Acoustic Country =/= Acoustic Pop

Whenever people ask about the music, I tell them we're an Acoustic String Band and then leave it at that. But I've had plenty of people insist to me that what I do is Bluegrass (we're a string-jam-band playing Willie Nelson and Band songs). http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wow.gif

So ... it might just be a losing battle.

doublestop
Mar-06-2005, 6:00pm
Yes, "Yonder" can be a little rough. I try not to label. If a band is having fun (and they are) they usually convey that to their audience. In turn, their audience enjoys that and has fun as well. I like them for what they are.....Just a bunch of guys makin music and having fun. Anyway, nothin' is more boring to me than a traditional bluegrass fest. I say mix it up!!!

TeleMark
Mar-06-2005, 8:59pm

As a former chemistry student, I'm having a hard time balancing your equation...

I think DJ is the weak link in the band, but they are still fun, and better than some that I have heard. They seem to go "farther out" than many bands, which bothers some people, but works for me.

Go to www.archive.org, and you can download several dozen shows for free.

mingusb1
Mar-07-2005, 12:56pm
To me, there is a big difference between "having fun" with the music, and showing off. #I think the label (for better or worse) "bluegrass" has been co-opted by groups like ymsb.

I believe an innovator, in order to innovate, needs first to be accomplished in the form, and in doing so, demonstrate a reverence and respect for it.

When I have seen them, I did not get a sense that they had done any of that.

But you know what they say about opinions...
Z

GVD
Mar-07-2005, 2:49pm
TeleMark Posted

Quote (Benignus @ Mar. 05 2005, 13:51)

As a former chemistry student, I'm having a hard time balancing your equation...

As an engineer I don't look at it as an equation but rather a formula and agree with Benignus. I also have to agree they're a fun band regardless of what label people hang on them.

GVD

Trip
Mar-08-2005, 12:51am
Its funny how we can experience the same thing and see just the opposite....I enjoy the acoustic exploration, along with the good grass rendering that Ive heard from YMSB.....Ive actually heard shows that were 99 percent bluegrass, and other times they went off the deep end for a couple of hours

I think there weakness is the hokey lyrics, and the originals sometimes just dont have a great hook to me

......I know that aint how Bill did it but they sure have turned a whole new generation on to the old school bluegrass that is growing a whole new audience for Del and other REAL Bluegrass bands