PDA

View Full Version : Points on a mandolin-built for use or art?

darylcrisp
Feb-22-2014, 9:54pm
In reference to playing while seated-and using a strap.

I am using the artistworks site for online lessons and Mike Marshall shows how to position and balance the F style using the points, which work great for me. I've tried a couple A styles and I just don't care for the shape. The F shape immediately fits and allows less tension overall for positioning which I think is very important-and I am a beginner and need all the help I can find.

Were the points initially for looks or use on a mandolin?
Do they serve any other purposes(sound/tone)?

thanks
d

Timbofood
Feb-22-2014, 10:03pm
Yes, and, I don't think so.
Other than providing places to stop "slippage" related to the lower treble side point.
You may have opened a can of worms with more opinion and controversy than you know.
Off to buy popcorn, granddaughter just took my last bowl!

Misty Stanley-Jones
Feb-23-2014, 6:31am
I'm only a newbie but I can keep my A style pretty snug between my knees when my left foot is elevated, without a point. Elevating the left leg was a revelation.

OldSausage
Feb-23-2014, 9:08am
Once you stand up to perform on stage, all those pointy bits will just hang there.

Astro
Feb-23-2014, 9:42am
I love Mike Marshall and take his lessons. He is awesome. BUT, I'm not sure I agree with some of his pointers on seated posture. With one leg up and and then hunched over the fretboard the way he does, you are a set up for back, neck, butt(sciatica) problems. I think its more ergonomic to always use the strap and keep the mandolin hanging in the same place relative to torso whether seated or standing. At that point the points and the leg elevation become irrelevant. The mando is above the lap. And when you switch to playing while standing you wont have much to adjust to. If you go with his way there will be a big adjustment from what you are used to when you stand. The fretboard is in a different position his way (lower when seated thus the hunching over).

But when casually lounging on the couch, those points could come in handy.

Mark Wilson
Feb-23-2014, 10:05am
Once you stand up to perform on stage, all those pointy bits will just hang there.Yeah but they fixed that by adding a strap hanger. I think the designers foresaw potential for endless debate around the F's position in the mandolin kingdom and planned for it, sitting or standing. :)

Tobin
Feb-24-2014, 8:02am
I rather tend to think the original addition of the points was purely for decoration, just as the scroll was. Gibson was going for a unique look.

And while the points may come in handy when playing seated, I would have a hard time believing that they were done solely for the purpose of ergonomics while playing seated. Keep in mind that when these were first introduced, these types of mandolins were primarily played in mandolin orchestras. They sat in chairs to play, but typically sat upright, with both feet flat on the floor. The type of posture that Mike Marshall recommends (or that we've seen Thile use when seated) would never have passed muster in a mandolin orchestra. So if I had to guess (and it is indeed a guess), I'd say that the points were merely decoration, and they had to try to ensure that the lower point wouldn't interfered with seated playing. Quite the opposite of putting it there intentionally to help seated playing.

Astro
Feb-24-2014, 8:12am
You know it would be fun for someone to develop a clip on "point". But it wouldn't really be a point. Much like the armrest attaches but it would stick out in a reverse curve at the lower bout to cradle a leg. That would be useful and I'd like to try it. Make it attach as a quick release thing like some of the capos do.

But then it would be extra fun to have a clip on scroll on the other side as a hoot. That could attach on a cross spring like the little battery clip on tuners do.

But what I really want is a clip on cup holder for my beer.