PDA

View Full Version : Frank Wakefield w/ Country Cooking LP

theCOOP
Feb-22-2014, 5:15pm
Just picked up an LP today simply titled "Frank Wakefield" (w/Country Cooking), Rounder Records 0007, pressed 1972.

I'm sure you're all familiar with it.

I'm quite enjoying it. If the vocals are a little weak, the playing is very nice :)

AlanN
Feb-22-2014, 5:52pm
Seminal record. Tony Trischka, Russ Barenberg, Pete Wernick perhaps. Frank plays autoharp on a couple of tracks.

David, David
Bluesgrass
Leave Well Enough Alone

Takes me back, for sure...

Timbofood
Feb-22-2014, 10:05pm
The famous "Red" phase" it's a great album with any shortcomings!

Marcus CA
Feb-24-2014, 1:21am
I bought that album after seeing Wakefield on one of the talk shows back in the day. Maybe David Frost? In any event, he played one of his "Jesus Loves His Mandolin Player" pieces, which totally blew me away. I bought the teal album the next weekend. I still play it every now and then. Aside from a great version of "New Camptown Races," it has an excellent banjo tune called "Hallelujah on the Fives," which was pretty newgrassy.

AlanN
Feb-24-2014, 6:50am
Don't think NCR was on there. 16 tracks, many of them original mandolin things. David, David is actually called Counting On David. Another good one he sang was White Silver Sands, sort of a pop tune he took under his wing.

I went to college in his hometown (still to this day). He would jam in the bars with anyone. What a character.

theCOOP
Mar-01-2014, 5:35pm
Side 1

Sleepy Eyed John
Nobody's Darling But Mine
Darktown Strutter's Ball
Dance of the Sandcrab
Honky Tonk Angels
Fisher's Hornpipe
White Silver Sands
Bluesgrass
Jesus Loves His Mandolin Player No. 16

Side 2

Leave Well Enough Alone
Arkensas Traveler
Tarry Not
Hallelujah On The Fives
Counting On David
Waltz in Bluegrass
Jesus Loves His Mandolin Player No. 2

Country Cooking:

Kenny Kosek
Tony Trischka
John Miller
Russ Barenberg
Nondie Leonard
Peter Wernick

Timbofood
Mar-01-2014, 9:19pm
That is a fun album, I need to dig that out!

theCOOP
Mar-02-2014, 4:01pm
Picked up another great $1 record from Rounder Records today.

Rounder Records 0023 - Highwoods Stringband - Fire On The Mountian. 1973.

This might be the 2009 rerelease

http://cdn.bluegrasstoday.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/highwoods_.jpg

Bob Potts
Doug Dorschug
Walt koken
Jenny Cleland
Mac Benford

Members come from these other bands: Dr. Humbead's New Tranquility String Band, All Skate, The Busted Toe Mud Thompers and the Fat City String Band.

I'm only on track 2 so far and it is outstanding!!

Side 1

Fire on the Mountain
Grey Cat on the Tennessee Farm
Nancy Rowland
Hopalong Peter
Last of Callahan
On a Cold Winter's Night
My Own Home Waltz
Walkin' In The Parlor

Side 2

Lee Highway Blues
Bully of the Town
Who Broke The Lock?
Ways of the World
Free Little Bird
Old and Grey
Liberty of the Corn Licker Still

brent1308
Mar-02-2014, 4:23pm
I just picked up this album in a giveaway box at wintergrass. Thanks to this thread for the suggestion and thanks to whoever was so generous with the LPs if you're out here (though I'm guessing a banjo player by some of the records). Looking forward to listening to it back in Brooklyn.

Timbofood
Mar-02-2014, 9:36pm
Shoot, you have just found some albums from back when I was first hooked on this music! I saw "Highwoods" at a college festival at Earlham college in Richmond Indiana with Larry Sparks and the Lonesome Ramblers.
Doug Dorschug is fun! Walt was a scream, really laying into it.
Those were the days!

theCOOP
Mar-09-2014, 9:04am
Happy to have grabbed OLD TRAIN by The Seldom Scene for $1.00 yesterday. Was a good record shopping day overall but mostly this is the onlyone relevant to this forum. They must've been culling stock from their regular categories b/c this is in great shape and a great album!

I won't bother with other details b/c there seems to have already been some discussion (about John Duffy's mandolin & etc.).

http://www.waynecountry.net/seldomscene/covers/OldTrain.jpg

theCOOP
Mar-21-2014, 5:40pm
Just picked up an LP today simply titled "Frank Wakefield" (w/Country Cooking), Rounder Records 0007, pressed 1972.

Brought home Country Cooking - 14 Bluegrass Instrumentals today. Rounder Records 0006.

Lovely record!

theCOOP
Mar-22-2014, 3:09pm
I wish I could change the topic of this thread to "Rounder Records"

Todays' $1.00 record bin picks

Rounder Records 0009 Clint Howard, Fred Price & Their Sons - The Ballad of Finlay Preston, absolutely great album so far!
Rounder Records 0063 Normon Blake - Whisley Before Breakfast, haven't listened to it yet.

0009 even came with a booklet of folded printed pages inside containing the story of Finley Preston and of the artists.

Timbofood
Mar-22-2014, 8:36pm
Coop, you have found some real gems! I remember playing "Old Train" almost gray the first week I had it! It doesn't get much better than that! Good luck finding more pearls! One of my favorites has got to be Rebel 1579(I think) "Cliff Waldron and the New shades of grass" Travelling light! Ice covered birches is still a song I love playing!

Andy B
Mar-23-2014, 10:07pm
Wow--some great LPs mentioned here. "Old Train" is a desert island disc for me, and I love the Cliff Waldron LPs with Mike Auldridge and Ben Eldridge (Right On was another great one by that band). And the Frank W and HSB albums are long time favorites (I love HSB's version of "Ways of the World"). Don't toss your turntable!

theCOOP
Apr-01-2014, 2:09am
Yesterday's single $1 record bin rescue was a bloody-near-mint Yazoo records L-1045 String Ragtime - To Do This You Got To Know How -

Thoroughly enjoying it though I am uncertain exactly which tracks contain mandolin other than Mandolin Blues/Russian Rag by Dave Apollon on side 2.

The side 1 label on this disc came loose while cleaning. Pulling it off gently revealed a side 1 label for L-1043 Please Warm My Weiner.

What did I bring home the other day?I don't have it infront of me right now. I think J.E. Mainer & His Mountaineers? Volume somethingorother. very nice.

theCOOP
Jul-09-2014, 3:07pm
In keeping with the Rounder Records theme of this thread, I picked up another couple of their offerings today, alebeit in a different theme:

John Campbell - Cape Breton Violin Music. Probably actually Fiddle music. Rounder 7003 and
The Beatons of Mabou; Marches, Jigs, Strathpeys, and Reels of the Highland Scot. Rounder 7011

For those who do not know, Cape Breton Island part of the province of Nova Scotia, Canada where fiddlers Ashley MacIsaac and Natalie MacMaster are from. Mabou is in Cape Breton and is the home town of The Rankin Family. Natalie MacMaster is the fiddler accompanying Alison Krauss on "Get Me Through December" with Neil Gow's Lament for the Death of his Second Wife.

Timbofood
Jul-09-2014, 3:17pm
Man, you are finding some real pearls out there!
You might start trolling for some of the old "Rebel" label goodies
One that comes to mind, Rebel slp 1579 "traveling light" Cliff Waldron and the new shades of grass. My band used to cover almost that entire album! Ice covered birches is a fantastic song!

theCOOP
Jul-09-2014, 3:52pm
o i forgot! I grabbed Rounder 11616 "Bluegrass - Mountain Style" CD recently. Previously as 11512

theCOOP
Jul-09-2014, 3:53pm
Yeah, the Seldom Scene record previously mentioned is off Rebel. I've seen a couple more here and there but not in the $1 bins.

mandocrucian
Jul-10-2014, 7:30am
Seminal record. Tony Trischka, Russ Barenberg, Pete Wernick perhaps. Frank plays autoharp on a couple of tracks.

One of Frank's best albums. Back in 1976, when I first meet Jimmy Gaudreau (his parents lived in the same little RI town that my grandmother's lakeside house was near; and his uncle was the country store postmaster), JG told me that if I liked Frank's doublestop playing, I should really try to find and listen to some Buzz Busby (including Ham & Scram).

So if you can find it on vinyl, look for Buzz Busby & Leon Morris: Honkytonk Bluegrass (Rounder 031), has the official Jimmy Gaudreau (and NH) seal-of-approval

http://rymimg.com/lk/f/l/797912ad6ba59a4fb9e99708bc1a3ccb/2841934.jpg

The other one of 'his' (Frank W.) that stood out for me was Pistol Packin' Mama (http://www.allmusic.com/album/pistol-packin-mama-mw0000278493) by the Good Old Boys w/Frank W, Don Reno, Chubby Wise and David Nelson (NRPS).

http://www.audiophileusa.com/covers400water/47987.jpg

AlanN
Jul-10-2014, 7:47am
When Pistol Packin' Mama came out, it was huge, for no other reason than the Garcia connection. Huge. This one below, from 1979 or '80, also had its moments. At a festival in the 80's, I ran into Frank and played him a bit of a tune from that, called Charl. I'll never forget what he said. He said "Hey, that's Charl" :))

theCOOP
Jul-14-2014, 7:07pm
Found a copy of the 1977 Philadelphia Folk Festival LP today which has Highwoods Strtingband on it.

theCOOP
Jul-16-2014, 1:34pm
Found a copy of the 1977 Philadelphia Folk Festival LP today which has Highwoods Strtingband on it.

Finally found a moment to listen to this. Great so far. I only just realised guitarist Norman Blake is also on it. I have one of his Rounder Records OPs.

theCOOP
Sep-07-2015, 7:40am

I'm sure you're all familiar with it.

I'm quite enjoying it. If the vocals are a little weak, the playing is very nice :)

Revisiting this album for perhaps the first-time since shortly after bringing it home and likely the first time since upgrading my equipment many times over.

Very much enjoying it still!

AlanN
Sep-07-2015, 8:42am
Found this cassette in the stack recently, some of the tracks from the same era, maybe a little later. It's called Frank Wakefield - Volume II, has about 25 tracks, many unreleased. From the cassette J-card:

The legendary Frank Wakefield performs on these rare California studio recordings, from period 1981-82.

theCOOP
Apr-08-2016, 6:10pm
Not long ago a Smithsonian Folks LP for New Lost City Ramblers caught my eye and was a little dissapointed when it sold before I could look them up. Well, a couple days ago I picked up the 26 track Smithsonian Folkways CD There Ain't No Way Out by the same.

I'm a little dissapointed...mostly with much of the vocals. By my calculation there are only about two truly outstanding tracks, those being Brown Skin Gal and Abe's Retreat.

Please discuss...

theCOOP
Apr-13-2016, 1:57pm
It done growed on me.

theCOOP
Nov-03-2016, 5:49pm
Happening right now!! Just came in the ma today.

Turntable is an early '70s Acoustics Research (AR) model XB through an early '70s Pioneer SX-525 receiver.

AlanN
Nov-05-2016, 1:20pm
Trying out re-size feature Scott posted about today

theCOOP
Mar-24-2017, 8:16pm
Brought home this Sony XO-7 Stereo Deck Receiver yesterday so I've been playing some old tapes.

I've been looking for this album (locally) for some time on CD to no avail. I've owned the cassette ever since the video for Boats To Build was new.

theCOOP
Jun-17-2017, 6:49pm
Record store was clearing out their dollar records for free today. I was the first there and fortunate to find this :)

Timbofood
Jun-17-2017, 8:04pm
COOP, you are a lucky fellow! That's a cool find!